AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  10:50:08 AM  Show Profile
Wondered if folks wanted to share news on what they are freezing?

I freeze so many different things - love my freezers!!!!

Today I put 22 lbs of tomatoes from the garden in the freezer - just washed and cored - I will pull them out and make them into sauce, etc. once I get the time.

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6788 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6788 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  11:15:49 AM  Show Profile
Jaime I just have the freezer in my refrigerator but I put it to work for me. Today I am freezing cooked Italian/pork sausage I found in the marked-down bin yesterday. I mixed a lb of each and saut้ed like ground beef. When it's cool I'll spread it out on a lg tray lined with parchment paper; put in freezer; when frozen I will put in a lg zip lock freezer bag. Freezing it that way I can take out what I need for sauces, stuffed peppers, pizza, etc.

22 lbs of tomatoes will make a lot of sauce. Do you make the sauce all at once or as you want it?

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2016 :  4:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Sliced fresh peaches, peach jam, peach syrup, plum jam, fresh green beans.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Aug 28 2016 4:19:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2016 :  6:07:02 PM  Show Profile
I don't freeze with vegs and fruit much as I don't like the way the taste.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2016 :  07:27:33 AM  Show Profile
YellowRose - That sausage mixture sounds YUMMY! Really good idea! That basic meat mixture is how I start my all time favorite lasagna sauce - which is so good I've served it as spaghetti sauce too!

As to making sauce out of the tomatoes I froze, I'll be making it and canning it. So I'll do a big batch all at once - but freezing them for now gives me some breathing room!

Ceejay - Lucky freezer! :) Do you prefer freezer jams to canned? I’ve never tried doing it that way.

gramadinah – I find I prefer canning for some fruits and veg definitely

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2016 :  08:27:03 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Jamie,
My hubby is now the jam maker and he likes to do the freezer jam. When I made jams and jellies I put them in jars and sealed with paraffin wax. I like them either way, except I do prefer the freezer version of strawberry . . . just seems to taste more like fresh strawberries.
I don't eat much jam these days myself.
We have two freezers and generally have room, he doesn't make a lot.
We like frozen peaches over canned, but I definitely prefer canned green beans. I only froze some because we had a little extra, but enough to can.
CJ

Edited by - ceejay48 on Aug 29 2016 08:28:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2679 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2679 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2016 :  10:16:54 PM  Show Profile
Fresh corn on the cob! Froze a few dozen today! Just cut the ends off to clean them up a bit, took a couple layers of husk off, not all and froze in freezer bags! Easy! And tastes fresh when you want some fresh corn on the cob! I just take all husk and silk off and boil for a couple minutes, smother with butter and salt and pepper and enjoy!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2016 :  05:23:51 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday i froze green peppers and onions. the onions i did in small amounts to pull out and pop into a crockpot or soup.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2016 :  06:50:13 AM  Show Profile
This weekend I froze a batch of lasagna sauce in two big freezer bags - we'll use it as a decadent sauce on spaghetti!!!

I also made and froze two breakfast strudel and a batch of Way Out West Wontons!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6788 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6788 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2016 :  06:53:12 AM  Show Profile
Jaime what are Way Out West Wontons?

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2016 :  05:56:47 AM  Show Profile
Way Out West Wontons for Freezer

Makes: 18 servings
a delicious southwest taste

Ingredients
• 1 pound Ground Beef
• 1/2 cup Onion, chopped
• 1 can Canned Green Chili Peppers, 7 ounce, drained
• 2 teaspoons Green Bell Pepper, chopped
• 1/3 cup Refried Beans
• 1/4 cup Cheddar Cheese
• 1 tablespoon Ketchup
• 1/2 teaspoons Chili Powder
• 1/4 teaspoon Cumin
• 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
• 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
• 1 package Wonton Wrappers, large
• Cooking Oil, for frying

Step 1
In large skillet, cook ground beef, onion, chiles and peppers until meat is brown. Drain off fat. Stir beans, cheese, ketchup, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and brown sugar into the meat - mix well.

Step 2
Place a wonton skin on a flat surface and point toward you. place 1-2 teaspoons of mixture on skin and seal by folding bottom over and then sides. Place wontons in a single layer on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and freeze. Transfer to a ziplock bag when frozen.

Step 3
Remove desired quantity from freezer. Heat oil in frying pan, fry wontons a few at a time - about 1 minute per side or until golden brown. Use slotted spoon to remove and drain on paper towel. Serve warm with salsa, guacamole and sour cream.

Edited by - AuntJamelle on Sep 07 2016 05:57:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6788 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6788 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2016 :  06:00:34 AM  Show Profile
Thank you. I copied and printed.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2016 :  05:59:41 AM  Show Profile
I've added some more to the freezer this weekend! Two 8x8 pans of Shepherd's Pie, three large ziplocks of PW Mashed Potatoes, two large ziplocks of Broccoli Cheese Soup and several single serving bags of Chili! Feeling good!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6788 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6788 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2016 :  6:58:46 PM  Show Profile
Jaime, your Shepard pie sounds like something I would like to try.

Yesterday, today, and tomorrow I am cooking for the freezer as well as lunches for now.

12 mini breakfast burritos
11 individual portions of meatloaf

Lemon rosemary roasted chicken to be used in rice dish and divided into individual servings tomorrow.

Tomorrow I will cook chuck pot roast with baby portabella mushrooms and freeze in individual portions.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2016 :  05:31:12 AM  Show Profile
Did another round of freezer cooking this weekend! Two pans of lasagna, two 8x8 pans of Veggie Stuffed Shells, a batch of Polish Egg Roll Filling and some appetizers - Italian Pinwheels and Herb Cheese Pinwheels (made using puff pastry)!

YellowRose - My shepherd's pie recipe is my own invention, tweaked from one I found online:

1 lb ground beef
8 oz mushrooms, fresh or canned, chopped
Carrots, chopped fine (1 cup?)
Corn, canned or frozen (3/4 cup?)
Celery, chopped fine (1/2 cup or so)
Onion, 1 small or 1/2 large, chopped well
Good sprinkle garlic salt
1 jar of brown gravy
Pioneer Woman Mashed Potatoes (1/2 batch)
Sharp Cheddar (2 cups or so)

Brown the ground beef with onions, drain most of grease. Add the carrots, mushrooms and celery and cook until tender. You can cook these in another pan if you like while meat is going. Combine veg with meat, add corn, garlic salt and gravy.

Put meat mixture in pan. Top with about 1/2 of a batch of PW Mashed Potatoes that has also been mixed with the Sharp Cheddar.

Freeze. Thaw overnight in fridge.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or so or until potatoes begin to get brown around the edges and peaks.

Can garnish with more cheese and chopped green onions if desired.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6788 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6788 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2016 :  06:06:22 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jaime, I'll print it. My sister uses the jar brown gravy but I have yet to try it. Gravy is one of my all time comfort foods so I try to stay away from it because I would eat the whole pan and lick the spoon. I will try it for this recipe.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2016 :  1:07:17 PM  Show Profile
Mmmm, gravy is SO good isn't it? Brown gravy, sausage gravy, white gravy - or even ... CHOCOLATE GRAVY! YUM!

Tested a couple new freezer appetizers this weekend - SUCCESS! :)

Italian Pastry Roll Ups

No defrost needed!

1 (17 oz) box puff pastry sheets

1 cup ricotta

1 cup jarred spaghetti sauce

1 cup mozz, shred

Freezing Day: Defrost sheets and lay flat. Spread ricotta cheese on sheets, then sauce and top with mozz. Starting on long side, roll up pastry. Wet tips of fingers with water and seal edge of pastry down. Using serrated knife, cut each roll into 6-8 slices Lay slices on baking sheet and flash freeze.

Place frozen slices on baking sheet and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes.

MY NOTES: Whenever I use puff pastry sheets I roll them out larger/thinner - as far as I can without making too thin. I just flour my rolling surface well, flour the top and go. This meant that 1 cup of sauce and 1 cup of ricotta only did one sheet. I was out of ricotta at that point so I experimented with my next recipe!

Final thought, these baked up BEAUTIFUL! Basically they tasted like mini pizzas, I could see adding some finely chopped pepperoni or finely chopped browned sausage bits to the mix and it turning out well. Probably wouldn't want to add too much though because of the grease factor.

Herb Cheese Puffs

No Defrost Needed!

1 Sheet Puff Pastry
4-5 oz Cream Cheese, Softened
2-3 Garlic Cloves, finely minced (more or less to taste)
1 tsp dried dill
1 T dried chives
1/4 t black pepper
1 tsp dried parsley
1/4 to 1/2 t dried onion powder

Roll out thawed puff pastry sheet as large as it will go without getting TOO thin. Spread entire sheet with cream cheese mixed with rest of ingredients. Roll up jelly roll style and seal up the seam with damp fingers. Chill for at least 1/2 hour or so to make cutting easier.

Use a serrated knife or a cheese slicer (wire kind with plenty of room) to cut 3/4 to 1 inch slices off the roll.

Freeze on wax paper lined cookie sheets then transfer to freezer bag.

Cook from frozen at 350 for 8-9 minutes or until lightly browned.

You could also choose to brush these with milk or egg wash right before baking to improve the color!

Edited by - AuntJamelle on Sep 20 2016 1:10:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6788 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6788 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2016 :  2:01:56 PM  Show Profile
I like that the appetizers are sliced before freezing. I could bake a couple for me or the whole batch for sisters. I wouldn't heat the oven for only a couple but when I have something else in the oven at same temperature I could do it and have a snack while I am waiting for the main dish. There's something abut waiting for food to cook that makes me hungry.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2016 :  07:16:23 AM  Show Profile
Did a major round of batch cooking this weekend - even added in a couple of recipes I'd planned to make later since it was convenient with the ingredients I already had on hand for the others.

- Two pans of Crunchy Swiss Topped Chicken Bake - Frozen with the panko bread topping in its own bag bundled together with the foil wrapped main part as a kit

- Two pans of Chicken Alfredo Lasagna Roll Ups

- One pan of Poppyseed Chicken, cracker topping in its own bag again

- Two pans of Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

- Two bags of Crockpot Beef and Mushrooms

- One round of Mini Chicken Turnovers

- One batch of Baked Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls (recipe only ended up making 9 egg rolls but since this is the first time making it will be a nice test amount!)

Also had a few cups of extra cooked shredded chicken left over that I froze for use later. And I purchased ground beef on Friday and got that portioned out and frozen in ziplock bags as well!

The bar fridge freeze is FULL! Chest freezer is starting to fill up too! I really need to dig through it and the upright to see what needs to be thrown out and what can be rearranged to make more space!

Edited by - AuntJamelle on Sep 26 2016 07:16:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6788 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6788 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2016 :  07:51:47 AM  Show Profile
Jaime, you really make use of your freezer. I know all the dishes will be enjoyed and oh, so easy for you to get supper on the table.

Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2016 :  6:38:28 PM  Show Profile
I'm freezing my green beans that are coming in late this year. I do my green peppers for stir fries and other dishes.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2016 :  06:15:25 AM  Show Profile
Got a couple pans of Chicken Cordon Bleu casserole in the freezer this weekend! And a batch of Broccoli Cheddar soup for an upcoming party everyone is supposed to bring a soup or chili to! :)

Also added a large bag of cooked, shredded chicken breast to jump start meals!

And I did my first batch of Christmas cookies! I'm baking them first, then freezing this year, as opposed to freezing the unbaked dough. Made Peanut Butter Chocolate Swirl cookies and boy did they turn out nice! I've made them before but they really hit the spot.

Okay, I made two batches. But only about 1 batch made it into the freezer! The shame!!!!
Go to Top of Page

tboatwright
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Tina
Gatesville Texas
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2016 :  8:35:47 PM  Show Profile
We have been freezing our sweet potatoes. We cut them into fries, lightly cook them in olive oil in a pan on the stove. Then we put them in freezer bags in the freezer. When we are ready for fries, we just remove them and cook them in oil or bake them in the oven.

Tina
Farmgirl Sisterhood #6289
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6788 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6788 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2016 :  07:43:53 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I bought 2lb of natural breakfast sausage and 1lb of bacon in the marked down bin. Both are still in date. I cooked the sausage patties and will flash freeze before putting in freezer bags. The bacon I cut up and flash froze for cooking.

Deli chicken tenders were on sale so I bought 2lbs. They use fresh chicken breast and bread it themselves so their tenders are really good. I flash froze them last night and put in bag this morning.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2016 :  12:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Actually, I'm freezing milk! I get raw milk from a neighbor and make my own yogurt and butter. We cook with the milk and the cream too. My hubby and I aren't milk drinkers although we use it on cereal, in things, etc. I'm ahead on yogurt (have another batch making right now) so I thought I'd freeze some. Not sure I can make yogurt with it, but it can be used for other things. I might TRY to make yogurt with some after it's thawed and see if it makes . . we'll see!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2016 :  9:24:05 PM  Show Profile
Things that I have frozen so far: Fresh diced onions, green beans, tomatoes, chopped green tomatoes, peppers, celery, peach slices, zucchini, roasted winter squash, corn niblets, berries, pie crusts, crumb topping, cookies, pierogies, and stuffed shells.

We also just got through curing bacon and making sausage, so that is in the freezer too :)

I want to make some cabbage rolls soon too :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What are you freezing? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page