Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2020 :  2:07:33 PM  Show Profile
That Annie girl is such a buddy out there at the Yellow Rose Cottage!! She does live keep a busy agenda!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2020 :  2:37:56 PM  Show Profile
Denise, don't know how I missed your post. Happy to hear you like hearing about Annie.

Yes Winnie, she sure stays busy. This morning when I let her out a stray cat was in the backyard - Annie's backyard - and the chase for the nearest tree was on. The cat made it to safety. Don't know when they will learn to stay out of Annie's yard. This was the second cat in just weeks that Annie chased off. Right now she's got her eye on a squirrel.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2020 :  06:48:39 AM  Show Profile
I'm canning dried beans in my Yellow Rose Cottage this morning and emptied a gal water jug. A empty gal water jug just happens to be Annie's favorite outdoor toy. I threw it out into the backyard and she pounced on it. Annie ran around the yard, across the deck, and ran around the butterfly bush one more time. That jug will keep her busy for awhile until she spies a squirrel and then the hunt is on.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 10 2020 :  07:37:16 AM  Show Profile
For the last several days Annie has kept guard over living room window that looks out onto front porch. Some critter - probably a field mouse or rat is making noises under the house. She'll leave her post for a few minutes to go outside but then she wants right back in. I've order poison and it should be here today. That should put an end to it but until the critter is gone I don't think Annie will leave her post.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - May 10 2020 :  1:15:31 PM  Show Profile
Sara, What a guard dog you have. Watching out for you and taking care of you. it sounds like she enjoys her job.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 10 2020 :  1:34:32 PM  Show Profile
Michelle, she's German Shepard and Rhodesian Ridge back hound mix so guarding runs in her genes. One minute she's my fierce protector - the next she's in my lab wanting some loving.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - May 10 2020 :  5:05:23 PM  Show Profile
oh how sweet. My Ruby is a Border Collie. One smart dog. She is 15 now.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 10 2020 :  5:20:22 PM  Show Profile
I've read and heard that border collies are one of the most intelligent dogs. Ruby has had a long life and I hope she has more good years ahead. My Annie is 4 years old and she's a rescue dog - I got her when she was 3 months old.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 20 2020 :  04:10:34 AM  Show Profile
Well Annie was in the proverbial dog house yesterday. She wasn't in it for long but I'm still upset with her. She has been smelling or hearing something either in my living room wall or under the house. I've put out poison under the house but as of yesterday it wasn't dead. Now to what happened yesterday.

I was on the phone with my sister in another room when I heard a scratching sound. By the time I got to the living room Annie had scratch through the dry wall and there was an 6" by 10" hole in the wall. After yelling & scolding her I calmed down and loved on her a little bit even though I was still mad at her.

I called the young man that replaced half my east wall because of termites and later in the day he came by and put a piece of plywood over it. He won't be able to patch it for a couple of weeks but I am on his to-do list of names. When he does come he will spend the day doing all of the other things that need to be done around my house & Yellow Rose Cottage.

Annie and I have been up since four this morning and she has showed no interest in the wall so I hope the poison has done it's work. She's been content to hunt the backyard while I have been in the Yellow Rose Cottage canning beans.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2020 :  08:28:54 AM  Show Profile
This morning we've been blessed with cool temps so I swept down the cobwebs on my front porch. It was a good time to work on Annie obeying my voice commands while not on a leash. Today we worked on her staying on the porch with me even when my back was turned to her. She jumped off the porch a couple of times but hopped right back on when I told her to get back on the porch. I didn't even have to raise my voice. So far so good on her being in the front yard without a leash. She goes with me when I put out the trash before sunrise and stays on the porch when I'm cleaning it or decorating it.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2020 :  4:20:37 PM  Show Profile
That Annie girl!!! She loves to hunt and follow her nose, but thankfully, that poison under the house was not available to her! I have a friend whose Aussie used to tear through walls and windows when either she was afraid or smelled something she had to find out about. It gets frustrating when a dog gets destructive. I remember our yellow Lab used to get into lots of trouble when he followed his nose around the house and yard sometimes. It is hard to stay mad at them for long because they are just being a dog and forgetting the rules of their home. Humans!! Sometimes they are dog party poopers!! LOL!!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2020 :  4:54:54 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, Annie's tearing into wall ended up to be not as costly as I first thought. While the wall was drying through different stages I got the front porch ceiling painted blue for the cost of a gal of paint and work on my deck. Annie's out chasing squirrels which is one of her favorite things to do.

She has made friends with the next door neighbor's pit bulls and they play through the fence. Sometimes she's just a puppy and then other's she my fierce protector and hunter of all critters that cross her yard.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2020 :  07:04:29 AM  Show Profile
Annie, the great hunter she is got her prey this morning - a big fat juicy grasshopper. One less critter eating on my herbs. Little or big all critters are endangered if they dare to cross Annie's backyard.

Next week Annie goes in for her yearly checkup and rabie shot. She's up for a ride in her Aunt Betty's pickup but not so much the visit to the vet.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2020 :  09:07:55 AM  Show Profile
Annie scored again - a young opossum - in my backyard at 1:00 a.m. last night. She woke me going from room to room so I knew some critter was around. I let her out the back door and she went straight toward the opossum and in minutes it was all over. One less critter to bring fleas, ticks, and disease into my yard. I didn't touch it last night because I wanted to make sure it was really dead and not playing possum. Yes, they do play dead and it's hard to tell whether they're alive or not. I disposed of it this morning.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2020 :  10:51:21 AM  Show Profile
Good Job Annie!! I know some people think they are cute but that would not be me.
Our Annie chases bunnies and circles round and round the fenced gardens, but so far they are too quick for her. I figure she is getting good exercise and using up some Dobie energy.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2020 :  11:16:27 AM  Show Profile
Lisa I bet your Annie gives those bunnies a run for their lives. My Annie hasn't seen a rabbit neither have I around here. Just nasty squirrels and the occasional opossum or stray cat.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2021 :  05:53:51 AM  Show Profile
Things have been quiet around here. Annie's hunting has been cut back to only the squirrels that seem to always get away. As you all know Texas has had a statewide winter storm like none I have ever seen. When we were in the single digits she would go outside to do her business and than right back in. Yesterday it warmed up to 20; a critter crossed Annie's backyard during the night and the hunt was on. She never found her prey but she kept on looking. I finally had to make her come in before her paws froze.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4850 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4850 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2021 :  07:13:26 AM  Show Profile
Hey Sara! We have the same weather as Texas! My cats go out for about 1 minute and fly back in. They are so restless wanting to be outside!
I love hearing about that Annie! Stay Warm!. We are suppose to have more snow today and tomorrow. Our Heat went out yesterday, so we are using small heaters till our Repair man can get us a motor for our Central heat.
I am baking today that will keep the kitchen warm!!
Hugs! Connie
Imagine....
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2021 :  07:17:40 AM  Show Profile
Connie I am so sorry your heat went out and hope it is soon fixed. Stay warm in your kitchen. I fixed fried cornbread for breakfast and Annie loved it.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2021 :  2:31:35 PM  Show Profile
Earlier I was sitting out on the side porch (former carport before I gave-up driving in 2018) having an early afternoon glass of wine. Eric my favorite postman came by and gave me the mail. Annie was in the backyard and I heard her barking on the other side of the house as Eric walked down the sidewalk. I heard Eric call out to Annie by name. I like living in a neighbor where the postman knows my Annie by name. BTY when Annie was a year old Eric held her leash as I took stickers out of her paws. She had gotten into a patch of stickers when I was walking her.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Annie Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page