Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2016 :  10:01:55 AM  Show Profile
Some of my chapter ladies have doved into my weaving craziness with both feet, eyes wide open and excitement galore. After doing an inkle and card weaving session, I mentioned a class on Navajo weaving. We enrolled and have built our looms. Totally out of my comfort zone here. We were asked to make the loom our own. So I"m learning wood burning to decorate mine. I will be taking pictures. We're putting on heddles this week and will actually start weaving. It's been a great adventure so far. Our instructor, Charlie, is teaching us. Spent quite a bit of time with Navajo elders learning this art. His enthusiasm is what got me.
I've had to become closely acquainted with a coping saw making a back strap loom and now my son's Dremel and it's routing ability. There will be pictures also of the back strap loom as we proceed. I found weaving on the inkle loom very relaxing and soothing. Hope to do more soon.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2016 :  10:23:41 AM  Show Profile
Someone I know in town has asked if I'd like to adopt a custom-made floor loom. "Of course!" I said. Let the learning curve begin. This one's going to be steep. Thank you for the inspiration.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7501 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7501 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2016 :  12:23:02 PM  Show Profile
I think this is going to be a great topic to watch!
I took weaving at the College years ago and enjoyed it but this sounds so much better.

hugs
darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2016 :  3:49:24 PM  Show Profile
Wow Sylvia, this sounds like a fun challenge! Please let us know how it goes and post some photos if you can as well. Good Luck!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2016 :  6:31:50 PM  Show Profile
Sylvia I agree with everyone else, this is going to be a fun subject to follow. Please keep us posted with your progress.

Jana
http://www.emhardt.com

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Weaving Crazy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page