YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2016 :  09:17:20 AM  Show Profile
Bottled five assorted bottles of ACV this morning. So happy it made - my first batch didn't.

Tasted the relish and it is so good but has a little way to go before finished.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2016 :  4:55:03 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Nini, I made my green tomatoes into refrigerator pickles. They are ready to eat in 24 hours and they stay firm and crisp. My son loves anything hot so I did them hot for him and he told me he prefers the refrigerator pickles and tomatoes over the canned ones. Me too and less work!

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2016 :  1:42:53 PM  Show Profile
Started fermenting another batch of snack tomatoes. Relish is coming along and smells so good. I have a recipe for fermented butternut squash and I have one but I'm not sure I would like it fermented. If I don't roast it soon I may have to ferment it.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2016 :  1:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
You girls all sound so industrious! Good for you! Hopefully I'll be able to get back to some creative "putting by" next year!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2016 :  10:17:21 AM  Show Profile
CeeJay one thing about 'putting-up there's always next year.

My goal is to be more up on fermenting by the first of the year, so I can better plan what I want to do, and be ready for the new crops. That's one thing I love about winters it's the time to plan, gather supplies, and dream of gardens and preserving.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  12:21:58 PM  Show Profile
Tomatoes and relish are now in refrigerator. The two qts of relish I divided into 4 pint jars - for me and to give away. My counter looks bare on one end with no fermenting jars bubbling away.

I'm not very good at journaling or record keeping but starting day one of 2017 I hope to keep records of everything I ferment. I'm planning on using my MJF 2017 Planner. I have unused pages from this year planner so I should have enough for fermenting, plus room for drying, canning, and preserving in oil.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2016 :  08:06:06 AM  Show Profile
Today or tomorrow I will start another batch of ACV. 3#bag of Granny Smith apples on sale so I thought I would try it again and let it ferment longer until the right strength.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2016 :  09:59:01 AM  Show Profile
Well the end of my countertop is full again of fermenting jars of ACV, snack tomatoes, and this morning I added persimmon/pear vinegar.

Started the persimmon vinegar this morning but didn't quite have enough to fill a qt jar, so I added the core and peeling of a large pear I'm roasting with carrots and potato. Persimmons and pears should taste good together and won't overpower the other. Will let you know in about six weeks how it turns out

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2016 :  10:35:45 AM  Show Profile
I tasted the snack tomatoes because I used dried Mexican oregano and I wanted to see if I liked it or not. I do like it.

Bought a head of cabbage for 39 cents# to make sauerkraut. Hope to do it tomorrow.

Edited by - YellowRose on Nov 02 2016 10:36:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kiltie Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Jennifer
Bay City MI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2016 :  3:59:36 PM  Show Profile
Question about ACV.....I started some about three weeks ago. I checked it the other day and the top of the apple scraps molded! Is this bad? Can I just take them out and keep going? Or is the entire batch ruined?

Jenn

Farmgirl Sister #7120

"Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2016 :  4:20:51 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer I'll defer to someone who has been at it longer than me. I don't know enough about mold to give my opinion.

I lost another batch of sauerkraut. It didn't mold it just went to slime. I don't know another way to say it - it was a slimy mess. I haven't been able to make a good batch yet but I will try again as soon as cabbage is 39 cents a lb. I had it in a small crock and I think I do better with mason jars.

I get e-mails from Ball Canning Co and they had a flash 20% off sale on entire order today. I ordered 2 of their 64oz super wide mouth jars. They're not for canning but food storage. I will use one for my next attempt at sauerkraut.

I have my ACV in a lg vintage glass canister covered with a double layer of cheese cloth and it seems to being doing okay. I have to put a lg rubber band around the cheese cloth to keep those pesty gnats out.

Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1494 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1494 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2016 :  4:36:27 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Ok gals... help me learn to ferment!!! I bought a big head of cabbage and some kosher salt. I want to make kraut, pretty basic? I saw a simple recipe where I shred the cabbage and then massage in the salt....sound familiar?

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232 FGOTM May 2016
<3 OUR FARM <3
https://www.facebook.com/WinklerDerBauernhof/
https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2016 :  4:54:05 PM  Show Profile
Alicia, maybe that's my problem - I'm not massaging the cabbage enough. I do pound it with a wooden mallet until my arm's tired.

All the books I have read make sauerkraut sound so easy to make but I haven't been able to do it. I am starting to think fermenting is as much a art as it is science. The luck of the draw kind of thing. Sometimes it ferments - other times it goes to slime & mold.

If I understood which molds are bad and which are okay it would help me to judge the progress of the kraut. I read my books but I do find some of it confusing. I need a picture book on fermenting so I can see what each step is supposed to look like. Course knowing what it was supposed to smell like would help too.

I do like the idea of fermenting so I will keep at it until I have a good batch of sauerkraut.

Go to Top of Page

shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2016 :  1:23:52 PM  Show Profile
Darlene - could you please tell me how you did refrigerator pickles out of green tomatoes? I have some on my counter trying to figure out what to do with them and the pickles sound great! But I don't know how to do it. This fermenting sounds real interesting, too. Except, I don't like fizzy stuff - like soda . Is that how fermented veggies taste?? Like carbonation?

I'll tell you the truth, if a man keeps my word, he will never see death." John 8:51
Go to Top of Page

Kiltie Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Jennifer
Bay City MI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2016 :  6:52:37 PM  Show Profile
My sauerkraut always has some mold and slime on top. I clean it off and take the fermented cabbage that is "under water" so to speak. The krat that is wet and in juice. There is always quite a bit on top that is a bit moldy/slimy, but it has never affected the rest.

We shred the cabbage in batches and then pour salt on top. Then I kind of toss the cabbage around until the salt is well-mixed. We have a large crock that we keep it in. On top goes a board that DH made to fit and then we put a rock on top to weight it down. We usually put a towel over the top to keep the gnats away.

Jenn

Farmgirl Sister #7120

Go to Top of Page

Kiltie Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Jennifer
Bay City MI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2016 :  6:55:45 PM  Show Profile
I've found mixed reactions to mold in homemade ACV. Some sites say it is fine and to just skim it off and others say it is bad and the entire batch is ruined. No idea what to do!

Jenn

Farmgirl Sister #7120

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2016 :  2:41:12 PM  Show Profile
Jenn, sorry I haven't replied sooner. I have the same problem. Sometimes I don't know if the author is talking about mold or the mother. I think I may have been skimming off the mother. Half way through this last batch I decided it was the mother and let it go. It had a clean vinegary smell so I figured it was okay.

Today I strained and bottled the ACV and persimmon/pear vinegar that had been fermenting for six weeks. The persimmon/pear vinegar has a mild taste. Not sure how I will use it. I bought a pork roast today so I plan on using the ACV to marinate it. Will roast with granny smith apple and sweet potatoes.

The sweet potatoes fermenting will be ready on 12/24 to dry for chips. I may let it go another week.

The vanilla flavoring will be ready to bottle on 1/7.

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1402 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2016 :  5:10:50 PM  Show Profile
Sara - Do you grate your sauerkraut? I recently watched a video (I think Homestead Blessings) and they grate the sauerkraut, and then knead it for about 10 minutes with the salt. My sauerkraut tasted so so good! We still have 6 jars left in the fridge, and everyone in our family just loves it.

I made my own ACV for the first time this year!! Thanks to Mary Jane's magazine and her recipe :) It's so exciting!

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
FGOTM April 2016
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2016 :  12:47:32 AM  Show Profile
Joyce, I have tried making sauerkraut twice and both didn't make. I will try grating and kneading with salt. Before I sliced and pounded with wooden mallet. Maybe I didn't pound long enough. Next time cabbage goes on sale I will give it another try.

I used the ACV to marinate pork roast and it was so good. Just the right taste of acid.

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1402 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2016 :  04:39:33 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I did make it before as well, without grating, and it seemed to be what I needed to do. I found that as I was kneading it with the kosher coarse salt, the juices just flowed!! I just left it on my counter for 1 week, burping as needed, and then put it in the fridge. We're having some tonight with dinner :)

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
FGOTM April 2016
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2016 :  05:35:21 AM  Show Profile
Joyce, the more you talk about how easy it is for you now the more I want to try again.

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1402 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2016 :  07:20:05 AM  Show Profile
Yes - please do!! It is so rewarding :)

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
FGOTM April 2016
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2016 :  4:39:16 PM  Show Profile
Tasted the sweet potatoes today and they had a good flavor and since I haven't a recipe I decided to go ahead and dry them today. I did it in the oven at 250 and they were horrible. Lost that batch. Next time sweet potatoes are on sale I will give it another try - in the dehydrator. I like figuring out what works and what doesn't.

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1402 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2016 :  5:20:04 PM  Show Profile
That's one thing I'm saving up for...I would love a dehydrator!

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
FGOTM April 2016
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  10:28:35 AM  Show Profile
I'm feeling sorta lost - nothing fermenting on my counter. But, that is about to change. Cabbage on sale for 29 cents a lb so I got a small one. Will start a quart of sauerkraut in the coming days.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's Fermenting at Your House? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page