Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Essential oils and the garden Next Topic  

Farmgirlquilting
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Angie
Ft Meade FL
79 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2016 :  02:23:46 AM  Show Profile
GM- does anyone use essential oils to help keep the bugs from eating the plants in your garden? If so can you please share what you use. Thanks

Angie Gordon
#6966 FGOTM June 2016
farmgirlquilting@gmail.com
http://farmgirlquilting.blogspot.com

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2017 :  09:15:44 AM  Show Profile
Angie - I know this is late coming, I apologize. Just wanted to let you know that although I do not use essential oils, I do use freshly cut mint. Basically, I trim down the plants (that is, if friends and neighbors and passers-by don't get to it first!), and lay the cuttings down around my plants - stems, leaves, flowers and all. Not only does it deter bugs (they don't like it at all), but it's a great mulch and really seems to nourish the soil as it decays. Plus, because we grow it ourselves, it's a renewable resource. By trimming the plants, you're encouraging more growth. We usually get several new shoots for each cut we make! I love it!

If you don't grow mint yet, I highly recommend it; but please know it can take over your entire garden. Many times people recommend planting it in pots in the ground to prevent it from spreading. But since we use so much of it (dried, fresh, or in the garden), and since so many people in our lives love it, we have it growing in between and all around our lilacs (which seem to love it!), and then the garden bed is surrounded by a recycled brick border. That really does the trick.

Hope this helps!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Essential oils and the garden Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page