Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2016 :  3:29:24 PM  Show Profile
I've never grown hollyhocks before, but I'd like to try some in the spring. I'm busy planning out our gardens and landscaping for our new little house. Most of it won't get done til spring, but I'd like to do as much planning and prep now. I've read that hollyhocks can be perennial, but that it depends on their growing zone. I'm in zone 5b, so it's going to get pretty cold over winter. Have any of you gals had success with hollyhocks coming back after a freezing winter? Any tips? :)

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

www.pinterest.com/jodieliza

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2016 :  3:42:14 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Jodi,
I don't have hollyhocks, but many folks I know around here do and it is high altitude, dry climate and cold winters. They always have hollyhocks . . . I'm not sure what zone we are in.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4714 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4714 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2016 :  6:23:15 PM  Show Profile
I live in Zone 5 in the Chicago area and grew hollyhocks from seed. The kind I grew were biennial and they bloomed beautifully their second year. They are perfect as a backdrop to shorter plants since they are fairly tall. I grew what was then a new variety, double peach hollyhocks. They were stunning. Hollyhocks need good, rich soil in full sun. I live in a wooded area now, so they are just a memory for me. Good luck with growing your own next spring, I'm sure they will do well.

Dawn in IL

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses." Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2016 :  8:30:42 PM  Show Profile
Over here in western WA, my plant went three years dying back each winter, not blooming, hardly growing tall until this summer, grew a lot taller and is now blooming. Gorgeous double red blooms. It was worth the wait. All you can do is try to grow some. Nothing to lose. I will be planting more.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2016 :  11:14:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the input and advice...I really appreciate it! It sounds like they definitely have a chance... and I feel more inclined to try now. :) I will keep in mind that they like full sun, too, when deciding where to put them. Didn't know they could be biennial, so that's good to know, as well.

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

www.pinterest.com/jodieliza
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Perennial Hollyhocks? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page