rachelbee
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Rachel
Carmel IN
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2016 :  12:57:14 PM  Show Profile
I'm taking a break from Outlander to get some other stuff done. My work book club is about to start "Once Upon a Time: a short history of fairy tales" and my recreational book club is reading Aziz Ansari's "Modern Romance".

Rachel, #6992
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2016 :  07:50:59 AM  Show Profile
I just finished Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert! I loved it!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2016 :  12:09:00 PM  Show Profile
I have just finished reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It is a fantasy novel which centers around a much talked about wizard telling his own story. I like this story because of the wonderful descriptions of mental discipline and also because it is not a story about some little kid saving the known universe for evil, catastrophe or certain destruction.

I also like The Slow Regard of Silent Things. It is about a woman who lives alone and has amazing relationships with inanimate objects. There is a whole section of the book describing how she makes soap.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2016 :  6:29:24 PM  Show Profile
Right now I'm reading the book "School of Darkness" by Bella Dodd. It's her life story, which discusses her involvement in the Communist Party, her subsequent disillusionment with it and her remaining life-long testimony about Communist infiltration of the U.S. Government and Roman Catholic Church. Fascinating story, fascinating woman. I had read mention of her in another book many years ago, but never had time to really study her until recently. After seeing an interview with Dr. Alice Von Hildebrand concerning Bella Dodd and her plight to right her wrongs, I was moved to find her book. In her autobiography, Ms. Dodd discusses how the Party's goal was world tyranny through the control of the common man. After leaving the Communist Party, she was dedicated to exposing the Communist Party's infiltration of the Catholic Church, exposing how Communist agents had been planted into Roman Catholic Seminaries in an attempt to destroy the Church from within. She brought an awful lot to light that, to me, explains a lot of what we have seen today in society as well as The Church. Brave lady.

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2016 :  8:06:07 PM  Show Profile
Nini, a very interesting review! I will add this book to my reading list. Thank you.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

brianna.e
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Brianna
Gladstone Michigan
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2016 :  8:19:55 PM  Show Profile
I am re-reading Still Life by Louise Penny. This whole series is so special and the town of Three Pines is a place I wish existed in real life! Totally worth reading this series if you are into mysteries. It isn't cozy but it isn't too intense or violent. It somehow manages to ride that inbetween place so well!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2016 :  09:51:45 AM  Show Profile

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2016 :  09:54:27 AM  Show Profile
Started reading this book a few days ago. Looks like its going to be a good one. Notice how I post a picture and then reply on the next one. Not sure why that is happening. Probably because I don't know what I'm doing.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2016 :  07:15:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm just about to finish up a re-read of Little Women! Have owned an abridged version for years, but ordered the full novel.

Before that I read the latest novel by my favorite author, Guy Gavriel Kay called Children of Earth and Sky. This author sets his stories in a sort of mirror reflection of our past - it's basically Renaissance Europe - with a large cast of characters that ultimately all end up interacting in a series of dramatic events. Politics, romance, religion... Story is set 25 years after the fall of Sarantium (in our history - Byzantium/Constantinople/Istanbul) and deals with the tensions between the various city states, countries, etc. in that region.

What makes the books so good is the character developement, I actually care about them, relate to them, cheer them on, cringe for them and sometimes cry...always enjoy a book by this author!

I wonder, has anyone here read Letters of a Woman Homesteader by Elinore Pruitt Stewart?

https://www.amazon.com/Letters-Homesteader-Elinore-Pruitt-Stewart/dp/1611040884/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1471356687&sr=1-1&keywords=letters+of+a+woman+homesteader

I really enjoyed this one! This is not a fictional novel. It's written by a widowed young mother who accepted an offer to assist with a ranch in Wyoming. She describes her homesteading experiences to her former employer, Mrs. Coney. The 26 letters are brief and tell about her life on the ranch in the early 1900s. Wonderful to see the past this way! She's funny too!
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2016 :  07:30:15 AM  Show Profile
I recently finished the third book in the Diana Gabladon Outlander Series called Voyager. Now I am reading the 4th, called Drums of Autum which is set in 1770's North Carolina.....Loving this series. There are eight books in the series. The author is writing the ninth book right now. It will be called "Tell the Bees I Say Goodbye."

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #93
My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

My Avon

www.youravon.com/sheronetaylor

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - May 10 2017 :  4:57:16 PM  Show Profile
I picked up "Magic Hour" by Kristin Hannah today. Going to be good read.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  09:21:15 AM  Show Profile
Did any of you watch on Masterpiece Theater the series called Home Fires? It just ended, must wait for Series 3. It's based on a book called Jambusters by Julie Summers. You'll love it. It'll remind you of the Farm Girl chapters and the sisterhood. It's based on WWII in England, small village. The show took events from the book and created stories. It's all about women and many issues women face, though 1940'a, aome things still exist today. Amazon has the series.
The Outlander books are addictive.....

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Back Door Farm Girls Chapter
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods
Go to Top of Page

NAGarcia
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Natalie
Gresham OR
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  10:12:30 AM  Show Profile
<3 Outlander, but am currently re-reading a chunk of my Mercedes Lackey collection. Fantasy, magic, but lots of fun.

Natalie

Farmgirl Sister #7004 May 2016
^*^ We are the weirdos, mister. ^*^
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  5:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
I just found Home Fires on PBS and am hooked. I love it. Also on PBS is Call of the Midwives. Check it out. Just finished a crochet murder mystery by Betty Hechtman called Hooked on Murder. Fast read and now I'm looking for more of hers. Went to our library and they had $2 bag of books. 4 bags total. LOL! Never can have enough books, fabric, glassware, baskets......"you get the picture! What's a farmgirl to do? LOL!

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922
October 2016 Farmgirl of the month

John 11: 35 Jesus wept.

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - May 13 2017 :  10:07:26 AM  Show Profile
I just read on the Masterpiece website that the UK didn't support any more shows of Home Fires. So the people who wrote the show have now written four books to take the place of the sho. So no more Home Fires and Amazon has the Kindle version of these books to preorder for a $1.06 per book. I ordered. After the season ending episode I need to know more!!!! First of the books out in July, last one released in October this year. Not too long a wait. I love Call the Midwifes too.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Back Door Farm Girls Chapter
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - May 15 2017 :  11:40:41 PM  Show Profile
Just finished the Zoo Keepers Wife. A bit dark for me, but true to life. I liked A Man Called Ove better. It would make a great movie. I just started The Girl Who Drank the Moon. It is JR fiction but has won awards. Sometimes Jr Fiction is better than adult books. Always on the look out for award winning Jr Fiction.
Go to Top of Page

cyndieparz72
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Cyndie
Port Vue PA
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2017 :  11:53:11 PM  Show Profile
I am currently reading Hand of the Impostor - a Gothic romance paperback published in 1965 that I picked up at an estate sale I visited a few weeks ago. I am obsessed with these old "mass market paperbacks" from the 60's and 70's, and although "cheesy", they are very well written and entertaining. They also remind me of being young visiting my grandparent's house and seeing my "Nina" sitting in her at her kitchen table, reading a dog-eared, many times read copy of these very books while waiting for one of her ridiculously sinful pies or decadent peanut butter cookies to come out of the oven.

Sister #7407 “I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior.” Hippolyte Taine
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4712 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4712 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2017 :  04:41:13 AM  Show Profile
I just finished reading "Death Wears a Mask" by Ashley Weaver. This is her second book and it was really good. A mystery set in London during the 1930's. Another book I read before this one, "A Dublin Student Doctor" by Patrick Taylor, also set in the 1930's was another great read. This book is part of his "Irish Doctor" series. A great series to get into about a GP doctor in rural Ireland set in the early 1960's, with books going back occasionally to the 1930's and 40's.

Happy reading everyone! It's going to be a great summer for it.

Dawn in IL

Life is like a novel, every day is a new page......

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Jun 07 2017 04:43:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

1Anne
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Anne
Lebanon CT
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2017 :  8:24:28 PM  Show Profile
A book I really liked was The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood. Has anyone read any of her other books? I'm up for a trip to the library for a summer novel!! :-) Anne

Yes, in God I trust.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2017 :  1:09:29 PM  Show Profile
I am re-reading "Bella Tuscany". It is a sequel to "Under the Tuscan Sun" which was made into a movie. The author bought an Italian "fixer upper" villa, and the stories are about the repairs, gardening, cooking, and ambiance of Italy. This is stuff that farmgirls can relate to.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Go to Top of Page

MailLady
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2017 :  4:39:39 PM  Show Profile
I am currently reading the last in a trilogy. It is a YA book but I got sucked in. It is called "Renaissance Man", about a family who run a hunter/jumper stable, their relationships, horses etc. The first two were Blaze of Glory and Look Twice. I guess it is being made into a television series. Anyway it is pretty light reading compared to what I usually read which is a lot of Holocaust, Jewish and stuff set during WWII. I need a break once in awhile from it. I'll be sad to say goodbye to these characters.

Christine #7397
Go to Top of Page

MailLady
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2017 :  04:42:31 AM  Show Profile
Now I am reading "A Killing in Amish Country". My coworker and I went out after work and while I was waiting for her to finish up I went to the library. I forgot my reading glasses so browsing for a book was really interesting :). I ended up with this one. It is a true story and a bit weird. It reads like a true crime (which it is of course) with a bit of hashing around and repetitiveness but I found myself not able to put it down.

Christine #7397
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1751 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1751 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2017 :  05:56:29 AM  Show Profile
Reading kiss Carlo by Adriana trigiani.Love this author. Happy reading!

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2017 :  06:20:48 AM  Show Profile
Old School by Bill O'Reilly & Bruce Feinstein

Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2017 :  10:45:59 AM  Show Profile
I am slowly reading Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. I have a computer in front of me so that I may look up references and foreign turns of phrase that I do not understand. For instance,

Michel Foucault was a philosopher in the 70's and 80's. His theories addressed the relationship between power and knowledge and how they are used as a form of social control through societal institutions.

Keter or cheter - The topmost figure in the Cabbalist Tree of Life. It means "crown". It is described as absolute compassion and "the most hidden of all hidden things".

That's some powerful sentiment with which to start a book.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Reading Room: Previous Topic What's Everyone Reading? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page