Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Make It Easy
 Making sewing patterns last longer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Making sewing patterns last longer Next Topic
Page: of 2

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - May 06 2007 :  05:09:45 AM  Show Profile
Hey everyone, if you use the end-rolls from your local newspaper, make sure that you wipe off the ends with a damp cloth and discard the outer layer. I work at a weekly paper and end-rolls usually are stored where the printing is done and ink dust is on everything! It's a bit like black dry-wall dust! Yuck!
We sell so many of our end rolls and there can be yards and yards of paper left! Sure beats recyling it! (great for packing/mailing/moving etc)
Angie.

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page

nursekat424
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Crystal
Frazee MN
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  12:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Send nursekat424 a Yahoo! Message
I know this is a really old topic/msg, but i was reading through old post and wanted to add thegreat tip my grandma gave me recently. She traces her patterns onto freezer paper- not the shiny side. then lay the freezer paper pattern shiny side down onto your material and iron it. it will stick to your fabric making it easier to cut, less likely to shift when cutting. the pattern can be used alot of times before it wont stick anymore. I also use pattern ease. which is like interfacing but more see through for tracing onto.

Love reading these older posts. get tons of good ideas.

Hugs
Crystal
Go to Top of Page

thehatlady
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Lola
Doniphan Missouri
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  06:16:23 AM  Show Profile
I trace all of my patterns onto pellon( light weight inter-facing) I have done this for years, in fact I have got pellon pattern traces tha I have used for over 30 years and the thing about them is they can be washed also, when traced with a permenate marked. I keep them in a large brown envelope or a large storage bag.

Usually when I get a childs pattern I do trace off all the sizes at one drawing and put each pattern in a smaller bag and then into the larger bag so as you need a larger pattern as the child grows you already have it drawn off. I also put all the information on each piece, size, waist markings , etc.

Everyone have a good day,

Lola

Every day, in every way, I become better and better.
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  07:36:22 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to my frugal mother's upbringing, I use paper grocery bags for pattern pieces. They are quite durable. We also used paper grocery bags as "parchment" paper on cookie sheets. Makes great crispy cookies!!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  07:55:12 AM  Show Profile
The stuff someone mentioned from JoAnn's I think is called Patterning Pelon. I used it for a pattern for bloomers that I needed to make 2 different sizes and I loved it. It seems like it will last a good long time and I don't have to worry about tearing.

barnagainkristin

"Others Before Self"
Go to Top of Page

OKCookee
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Chris
Oklahoma OK
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  08:08:19 AM  Show Profile
I buy the inexpensive iron-on interfacing by the package and apply that the the patterns I plan on using the most. Hancock Fabrics has it on sale several times a year and I stock up then. On larger pieces I sometimes just use the interfacing around the edges. It is also great to patch torn pattern pieces.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest".
Matthew 11:28

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  09:54:22 AM  Show Profile
I also use the drs exam table paper. I get it free. And it works great.

However, for a pattern I will use excessive amounts of time, I use old sheets marked down to 1.00 at a thrift store. It's heavier and last forever. The exam paper will last quite a few times too though! I always use it first, and then when/if I find out I am using the pattern way more then I figured do the sheet thing.

I don't do that for the cheap patterns though that I can get for like a dollar. But, most my patterns are 20 dollars or more, and out of print! So for those I for sure never cut.

Another tip, lock your cats up before you start. That tissue paper that the patterns are on, drive my cat wild and she has put more holes in my patterns! UHG! She just has to be locked up it seems irresistible to her! lol haha

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  7:56:21 PM  Show Profile
My aunt puts all of her patterns on plastic...she lays out the pattern, traces the size she needs & marks it then cuts it out & it's ready to use a million times over. She makes a lot of hospital uniforms/scrubs for others so this is really helpful for her. (If only I was smart enough to actually follow the pattern properly....)

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  04:33:27 AM  Show Profile
Sewing is my life and to keep a pattern for years of use I copy it onto 4 mil plastic that can be purchased by the roll at the hardware store. The best part is being able to see through the pattern piece in order to make sure the left and right sides of something will line up!
( such as plaids ) The plastic stands up to the daily use of a pattern quite well. I have one particular pattern that is now 5 years old and it's about time to trace out a new one. . . after weekly use, cutting out multiple items from it, the pin holes are finally showing their age.

Joanna #566

JojoNH
www.countrycents.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
http://twitter.com/NHJoanna
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  6:10:55 PM  Show Profile
I trace the patterns on used plastic shopping bags, they last forever.

Jan

Farmgirl Sister #3340
Go to Top of Page

nancygene
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Nancy
Michigan City Indiana
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  09:29:33 AM  Show Profile
Another idea is to use the same kind of paper engineers used to draw blueprints. It is see through and easy to cut and easy to write on. Check one of those surplus warehouses to see if they have any since most engineers now use computers instead of paper.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  4:05:29 PM  Show Profile
That, I believe, would be called vellum paper. You can find it is office supply stores.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2013 :  07:42:13 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
I haven't read through all the replies, but I use freezer paper!! Then I can iron the pattern piece to the fabric, cut, and it pulls right off!

Many Blessings- Alicia
http://dandeelionrose.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2013 :  5:45:16 PM  Show Profile
I have two girls who are of course two sizes. I copy each of the larger sizes to the back (white) side of wrapping paper.

Farmgirl Sister #3759

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2014 :  10:58:25 AM  Show Profile
I have two growing girls so transfer copy each multi-size on to the back of wrapping paper (the large Christmas rolls). The paper is sturdy and holds up to multiple pinnings.

Farmgirl Sister #3759

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2014 :  11:18:32 AM  Show Profile
I like the idea of using freezer paper. I use it for some things, but never tried it for clothing patterns. I am going to try it next time I sew.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Make It Easy: Previous Topic Making sewing patterns last longer Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page