imascholar2
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

SuZan
Huntsville UT
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2016 :  11:27:41 AM  Show Profile
It would be really nice if there was a thread for each of the merit badges. I love reading everyone's posts in the Merit Badge Chit Chat, but 14 pages is REALLY time consuming when looking for a post on a specific Merit Badge.

That being said, is anyone working on the Her Story merit badge, beginner level? If so I would like to know who you have researched/read biography. I can't think of anyone to learn about that is currently alive and influential. I would prefer NON political, maybe someone into natural things, health, crafts etc; like Mary Jane : ).

Remember to ENJOY the journey!!!

Ginger Dawn
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Ginger
Inwood WV
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2016 :  1:06:50 PM  Show Profile
I am going to start this badge. I haven't decided on who to pick yet. However, I like Nancy Brinker, Jaycee Dugard, or Malala Yousafzai
Go to Top of Page

Ginger Dawn
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Ginger
Inwood WV
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  08:59:47 AM  Show Profile
Well, I have been working on this Merit badge the last two days. I ended up picking someone different that I originally posted above.

I choose to learn about Admiral Michelle Howard. Not only is Admiral Howard the First Four Star Female of The Navy but she is also the first African-American to hold this title! Oh and if you can only imagine having that honor. She has been the Commander, Allied Joint Force Command Naples, Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Europe, and Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Africa.

Howard was born in Riverside, California on April 30, 1960 to former U.S. Air Force master sergeant, Nick Howard, and his British wife, Phillipa. She is a 1978 graduate of Gateway High School in Aurora, Colorado. She graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1982 and from the U.S. Army’s Command and General Staff College in 1998 with a Masters in Military Arts and Sciences.

Howard knows exactly how far women have come in the world of defense over the past half-century. Lucia Graves Interviewed Admiral Michelle Howard last May and learned that “At the Leadership Summit for Women in National Security Careers in Arlington this April, she told the crowd that when she was just 12 years old, she knew she wanted to go to a service academy, but at the time they didn't accept women.” Her mother—whom Howard cites as her greatest role model and source of leadership inspiration—told her not to give up. "If you still want to when you're old enough to apply, and if they're still closed to women, we'll sue the government," she recalls her mom saying. (As it turned out, they didn't have to: The Naval Academy began accepting women in 1976, two years before Howard graduated from high school.)

When Michelle Howard was just three days into her new job as head of a U.S. Navy task force charged with countering piracy in the Arabian Sea, when a cargo ship sailing under a U.S. flag was hijacked by pirates. Richard Phillips, the captain of the Maersk Alabama, was taken hostage in the waters southeast of Eyl, Somalia, and transferred to a small life raft; it was Howard's job to get him back. She did (the incident later inspired the 2013 movie Captain Phillips), which was no minor feat. "There certainly wasn't anyone I could turn to and say, 'How do you rescue someone from a life raft? How do you do negotiations with pirates at sea?" “Howard recalled in an interview last year.” “It had never been done before."

What I admire about her the most is that she does not let anything hold her back and she encourages all woman to not allow critics or others hold you back.

Admiral Howard states “Everybody has critics in life. ...
“I found that women who choose to be stay-at-home moms deal with a set of critics. I have found women who go into the workplace and try to be a mom have a set of critics. I think as women, we just seem to have a set of critics. And so you work your way through. But I've also found that a lot of times in an organization, the barrier gets down to an individual. There's not a grand conspiracy going on. It's really one person with a set of beliefs, and you just have to take a deep breath, think about it, but have the courage to figure out how to get to resolution with that one person. Otherwise you end up being skeptical about mankind ... and you create this figure of "the man" in your head, and it really isn't that at all.”

I was not able to find any books written about Admiral Howard but I did enjoy the interviews and reading about the many awards and information on the United States Navy Website. Now if you ask me… which you didn’t.. But I am, gonna tell you anyway. Admiral Howard is one heck of a woman and I just had to share Her Story!

Now how about you? What is Your Story? How can you encourage others and how do you become a better person? We have this opportunity every day and what a blessing it is!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  12:59:31 PM  Show Profile
Wow Ginger! That was some fascinating information on a powerful woman! I love how she stuck to her dreams and had full intentions of getting them at whatever cost. Good find.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2017 :  5:24:34 PM  Show Profile
I'm about to start this merit badge. Did you pick someone Suzan? I'm curious with whom you went. I was thinking of going with Marjory Wildcraft. She's an herbalist and entrepreneur and I'd really love to know more about her.

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

Ginger Dawn
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Ginger
Inwood WV
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2017 :  5:41:54 PM  Show Profile
Katie,

I too would like to know about her. I encourage you to research Wildcraft. I look forward to reading what you learn.
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2017 :  07:07:21 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the words of encouragement Ginger. I didn't know if she would qualify or not although I know in my own head she certainly did! I will begin research on her as soon as I finish my intermediate level of music badge. My hope is that I can actually interview her. We are planning on going to the Mother Earth News Fair in September and she is scheduled to be a speaker. All the books and internet in the world can never replace a face to face in my mind :-)

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

Ginger Dawn
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Ginger
Inwood WV
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2017 :  07:27:30 AM  Show Profile
Oh Katie that would be fantastic to get an interview! I enjoyed earning the music badge. I am not sure what my next badge will be but I am considering quilting. I try to earn four a month but some take much longer. My favorite badge earned was mindfulness. Let me know if you need any help. I am more than willing!
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2017 :  09:38:05 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Ginger! I don't belong to a chapter so the help is appreciated :-). I just finished my music intermediate. Give it a read if you have the opportunity? Thanks!

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Her-Story Merit Badge Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page