Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 Recipe for getting over a cold faster.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Recipe for getting over a cold faster. Next Topic  

Pixiedustdevil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Temperate Rainforest Oregon
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  9:28:46 PM  Show Profile
Whenever my Grandma got a cold; I would make this for her.

1 cup hot water
1Tbls lemon juice
2 slices of ginger root (size of a thick penny)

Let it steep for a little while, remove the ginger root, and drink.
If you don't like the taste, you can add a little honey.

----------------------
Jack of all trades, master of none,
though oftentimes better than master of one.

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  1:59:33 PM  Show Profile
I think your Grandma got a great cold elixir from you! Plenty of warm hot fluids are so soothing when you have a bad cold with sore scratchy throat and stuffy head.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Pixiedustdevil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Temperate Rainforest Oregon
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  3:05:54 PM  Show Profile
She never liked to admit it, but she would get better a lot faster.

----------------------
Jack of all trades, master of none,
though oftentimes better than master of one.
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  5:18:14 PM  Show Profile
You took great of your Grandma! Lemon Ginger Tea (at least that's what I call your recipe) is the best for getting over colds. I also drink it to warm up if I'm feeling cold in the house or if I'm working outside on a wet/chilly day. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Yves
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Yvonne
Kyle Saskatchewan
Canada
1 Posts

Posted - May 02 2016 :  9:17:21 PM  Show Profile
When you first feel a cold coming on, take an ounce of hard liquor and heat it in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds. Then tent your fingers over the glass and Sniff! It should hurt but stops that sinus cold in its tracks. If you try this, should be swearing at me the whole time.
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 03 2016 :  08:00:30 AM  Show Profile
Yvonne, anything that will stop a sinus cold in its tracks is worth its weight in gold! (Wish I had liquor in the house. Might be worth it to buy some)

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

345 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
345 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2021 :  6:56:11 PM  Show Profile
Well, we are enjoying some beautiful autumn weather here in Australia, but winter will be just around the corner, so the Lemon & Honey drinks will be a regular in our household. I thought I would share some interesting additions that I read about recently courtesy of Dominique at the Maleny Medicine Room:-

"Some warm drinks are timeless and really help you stay healthy and stronger as the cooler weather sets in. Good old Lemon and honey clears our system faster than most other things and can be taken as a daily drink right through the cooler season. You can add herbs to this drink for extra health benefits.

Recipe for Lemon and honey drink.
1. Take a ripe lemon and squeeze the juice in to you large mug ( 300ml)
2. add a teaspoon of honey, a pinch of sea salt and stir
3. Now pour over boiling hot water and allow to cool for a few minutes before drinking.

You can also add a teaspoon of grated ginger or turmeric root for inflammation or headaches.
A teaspoon of dried thyme, sage or lemon myrtle leaves for antimicrobial benefits.
Replace the honey with maple syrup for the vegan version.
Add a clove of garlic or a slice of fresh chilli for cold and flu relief.
Add some white willow bark or feverfew leaves if you are prone to headaches and fevers.
If you get stressed and need extra relaxation or if you have coughs add in some chamomile flowers
If you suffer from allergenic responses then fenugreek and olive leaf are good additions to your lemon and honey drink.

If you like you can make a big pitcher and drink through the day. To do this simply use 3 x recipe as mentioned above and make 1 litre of drink.
Allow to cool down and sip through the day for great hydration and prevention of seasonal illnesses".

Farmgirl #6058

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2021 :  11:44:24 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing those recipes, girls. I'm going to keep that one in the cupboard, for sure! It sounds SO much better than what my grandma gave us - you ready for this? ONION SANDWICHES. She would spread a thick layer of butter on each of two slices of white bread, then load them up with thick slices of onion, squish the bread together and tell us it was good for what ailed us. She would also give us a hot tea drink made with tea, brandy, lemon and honey. <<<shudder>>> Oooh...did I HATE them! But dang if she wasn't right! 'Worked every time! Lol!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Recipe for getting over a cold faster. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page