Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2016 :  06:49:51 AM  Show Profile
Ladies -- We have put down a nice wood-look laminate floor in our family room. There is a raised brick hearth (one brick high) with a woodstove/insert on it. I would like to know what experience you all have had with fireproof/fire resistant rugs for in front of the stove, to protect the laminate floor from any errant sparks, etc.

The fibreglass ones I am seeing are dreadfully ugly, but I would like to know how fireproof/resistant the wool ones are. Any input?

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2016 :  08:33:41 AM  Show Profile
I am getting a new floor too and the thought has crossed my mind too about which ones to use.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2016 :  08:41:30 AM  Show Profile
Of course, I like the pretty patterned ones and His Dudeness says "Plain!" Sigh.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9204 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9204 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2016 :  6:02:33 PM  Show Profile
I have not found any hearth rugs that are fireproof/ fire resistant. I sure would love to know if anyone has. We have not found a way even with the rug to keep the sparks from getting on the floor. Most hearth rugs are not large enough to cover.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  06:06:39 AM  Show Profile
I am getting the distinct feeling that maybe I should just burn fireproof wood! ha ha ha ha ha His Dudeness might just have to learn to be extra careful!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  11:09:21 AM  Show Profile
We had one that came with the house. I don't honestly remember if it was wool or fiber based, but I do know it did work well when a burning chunk flew out one day when the woodstove door was open. Check Plow and Hearth if you haven't already - they usually have nice ones in their catalog. Tell The Dude I think it should be a pretty one.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  12:51:47 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the backup, ET! Plow and Hearth was the first place I looked. I honestly don't think we are going to be flinging flaming faggots around the room, but Dude is feeling very protective of his new floor.

Farmgirl #6318

Edited by - Marilyn Hartman Sullivan on Feb 10 2016 12:53:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  3:50:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh my dear ET you had me ROTFL! I was never expecting to fling flaming fireballs in my house either, but once when I was carefully stoking the fire it happened to me quite by accident. Luckily it landed on the rug and I was able to distinguish it before it did any damage to the floor. I had to get rid our rug though after Paul tripped on it a couple of times. I was afraid he'd put his hand on the woodstove trying to catch his fall and burn himself. So now we just have a leftover piece of linoleum on the floor which is nice because his walker rolls over it. Tell Dude that Murphy's Law says that embers will always land on expensive wool flowered rugs but not the cheap plain colored ones...ha ha!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Fireproof rugs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page