Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Bought Our Little Homestead, Making It Mine!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Bought Our Little Homestead, Making It Mine! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  1:34:37 PM  Show Profile
After two years of traveling, looking for our little homestead, we ended up back in Wisconsin and found our little farm. The house is 900 square feet and built in 1901. It has a newer pole barn, garden shed and two smaller buildings perfect for chickens and rabbits. Has three acres, two are mixed oaks and pines. It used to be a garden/gift shop and the previous owner installed newer mechanicals and was planning on using it for an antique shop also.

Since we had downsized to live in a trailer full time, I had to run around all the junk shops and buy furniture. I had a vision for the house instantly and the next pictures show the before and after. Working on the interior this winter so I can get my chickens and gardens going in the spring.

The house is basically a big square. These photos are the bedroom/living room area. We do have an upstairs bedroom but we decided to use that for guests and make our room on the main floor. We have a senior dog that can't do the stairs.

I thought the interior was a little dark and brown so I painted the walls a fresh white and put up white wood blinds. I had quite a bit of vintage camp decor from my trailer so I used that as the inspiration. The only new items I purchased were the little leather sofa and recliner.

Found this hutch at an antique store and new it would fit my stairway wall. I really needed the storage space.

Very small kitchen area but it is bigger than the trailer kitchen. Using my vertical space for open shelving and pot rack. I love this farmhouse sink and it is mounted on an old General Store bin cabinet.

The dining area is my favorite. I found the enamel topped table and it had two leaves that were too big for my area so I repurposed them as shelves under the double window. Great place for plants. I found the lockers on Craig's List and painted them to use as coat closet. The stand with the coffee pot and microwave was a junk shop find. It is an old wringer washer stand.

Another view of the leaves turned shelves.

Bathroom before and after. Found the little hutch and painted it. Great for storage.

Another view of the bathroom before and after.

I am in love with this tub! Extra long for soaking without cold knees.

This is the room I am currently working on. Laundry/Utility room that is just off the main living area and leads to the bathroom. Both the bath and laundry rooms have cement floors with in-floor heat. I am going to stain the floors in the spring.
I sure have been busy the last couple of months!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  4:17:42 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations! I love the way you have made this place your own with all the colors, patterns, antiques, etc. I hope you have a long and very happy life there.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  7:37:20 PM  Show Profile
Diane, I just love what you have done with your new home! It was cute before...but now, it just blows me away! Wonderful job!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2016 :  05:22:34 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful, you've done so much hard work! And the end result is remarkable -- congratulations!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1494 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1494 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2016 :  05:26:40 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Diane it is adorable! I have never cared a lot for Red/White/Black (reminds me of an old HS I loathed), but in your home it is perfect! I just love how you carried it through!!

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2016 :  05:29:46 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Beautiful! Great re-dos and you will love it there.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2016 :  06:07:32 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the compliments! It has been a lot of work but fun nonetheless. I have enjoyed finding all the antique and second hand stores in my new area. Can't wait till spring, I have lots of plans and ideas for my garden and the garden shed.

farmgirl sister #922

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2016 :  08:33:25 AM  Show Profile
Just beautiful! Love your decorating style!

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2016 :  10:47:29 AM  Show Profile
Diane, your new homestead is adorable!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2016 :  2:50:08 PM  Show Profile
Your home is just absolutely beautiful. I love what you have done to it. My favorite room is the bathroom and that bathtub! It looks like the perfect place to soak after a long day. Enjoy your new home and can't wait to see the rest of the pictures.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2016 :  6:02:59 PM  Show Profile
Diane, it doesn't surprise me to see how good and fast you are at decorating. It's wonderful. I am so happy for you to find the homestead. Love the way the white brightens everything.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2016 :  06:26:50 AM  Show Profile
Diane, I love what you have done to fix up your new home!! It looks Farmgirl, Homestead perfect. The old farm sink in the kitchen absolutely rocks! Wow, what a cute and practical piece. I love how long and open it is. Perfect for so many big projects like canning etc. Every room has such charm and color. I am thrilled for you and looking forward to hearing more as you settle in and do more projects. Thanks for all the photos!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2016 :  07:10:55 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the compliments! Now I just need to fine some Farmgirls close by to come over for coffee!

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  4:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Well, Diane, I'd be over in a heartbeat if I didn't live way, way, way, far away! Hope you find some farmgirls to join you in your cozy little cottage!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mbenton16
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Maryellen
Stanfield North Carolina
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  7:38:08 PM  Show Profile
I love what you have done! It looks awesome. You really have personalized it. I love the shelf/countertop with the two stools to look out the window. What a great idea. I think you did a great job with your color choices as well. I also love Wisconsin. Visited there two years ago and can't wait to go back. Hugs, Maryellen

Maryellen Benton
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2016 :  09:57:50 AM  Show Profile
Diane, if I was within reasonable driving distance, I would love to invite myself over for a tour and tea!! What you have done is inspiring to me and I would love to chat more about how you were able to pull it all together.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Kangaroo Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Teresa
Red Oak Texas
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2016 :  5:38:33 PM  Show Profile
Diane
LOVED the photos! such a nice place. Am happy you found your farm. you did a great job fixing it up!
really creative ideas on refurbishing old things found.
LOVE the bathtub,the bathroom is so cute!
love the whole house.
cant wait to see pictures of the chicken house when fixed.

Teresa
sister #1506

Dance Like No One Is
Watching.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  10:32:27 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Farmgirl Friends! I really appreciate the compliments. Looking forward to spring and getting my hands in the dirt.

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Kristine
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

California
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2016 :  3:27:01 PM  Show Profile
Congrats on your lovely place! I currently live in a town! I am jealous! Have such a peaceful time in your place in the country! I had 3 acres in Missouri at one time! But your place sounds so perfect!!!
Go to Top of Page

Christy925
True Blue Farmgirl

476 Posts

Christy
Midland Michigan
USA
476 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2016 :  03:48:55 AM  Show Profile
It's wonderful!

Farmgirl Sister #2315
http://www.etsy.com/shop/WildThymeCreations?ref=pr_shop
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marketwoman45/sets/72157627628326507/
Go to Top of Page

NikisMom
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Framingham MA
140 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2016 :  2:46:15 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful home! Makes me long for the day I have some land.
Go to Top of Page

disTizmoi
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Suzy
Bentonville VA
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  04:16:44 AM  Show Profile
Isn't it a wonderful feeling to find the "nest" you've been searching for and then making it your own? Congratulations! Love what you've done with the place. :)

It is ME...Suzy!
Farmgirl #6922

"Oh my goodness...go play outside!" said her Mom
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  12:30:05 PM  Show Profile
Complete happiness my friend- so beautiful!! Love to you!!

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

MnMotherMary
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Mary
Jordan MN
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2016 :  09:23:49 AM  Show Profile
Great job. I love everything!
Go to Top of Page

MnMotherMary
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Mary
Jordan MN
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2016 :  09:24:30 AM  Show Profile
Great job. I love everything!
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2016 :  10:26:36 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I love your decorating and unique "finds". Great job!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Bought Our Little Homestead, Making It Mine! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page