True Blue Farmgirl

1130 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1130 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2023 :  4:44:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh I like June Bug, very cute!

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
FGOTM August 2022
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6735 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6735 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2023 :  11:43:08 AM  Show Profile
Wow Heather you have been super busy! And your cherry tree is huge! Our neighbors have one they planted 2 years ago. It is very slow growing and is still shorter than me. I would love to have a cherry tree some day. My peas have come on super heavy right now. I picked 55 last night and will probably have some more ready tonight. Each year I add a little more to the garden and there are so many more peas this year compared to last and it's still not enough to keep up with my kids lol! I think I will have to grow a whole garden box worth next year!

June bug is adorable! Happy late birthday Nathan! I hope he had a great day.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3004 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3004 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2023 :  6:52:10 PM  Show Profile
I think that tree was planted over 20 years ago. There was a sweet cherry tree that was taken out in a storm a couple years ago. It was replaced with a baby tree that is like the one you mentioned - shorter than me :) It hasn't produced any fruit yet. There's also an apple tree, a peach tree, and a pear tree. The pear tree has never produced more than a handful of tiny pears. The apple tree does OK if we can get the bugs to stay out of it. A few years ago the peach tree had a gazillion peaches on it. So many that a few limbs broke from being too heavy! It hasn't recovered yet! It will produce a few peaches though. I've since learned that if there are that many blossoms on the tree you should pluck some of them off to prevent the tree from overproducing fruit. It's really hard to keep the bugs and raccoons out of the fruit. And the wind - it seems to do the most damage around here.

I love fresh peas. Those and cucumbers are my favorites! Unfortunately we had such a weird spring the peas didn't do so well. I wasn't sure they were even going to make it. I think I'll pick them tomorrow and we'll probably just get enough for supper and that will be it. I might try planting some again for a fall harvest. We'll have to see how it goes. Had my first yellow squash and zucchini from the garden over the weekend! It seems like everything is just really slow going this year. It's almost July and we're just getting a couple things to eat and haven't canned anything yet.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6735 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6735 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2023 :  2:35:29 PM  Show Profile
I am hoping to get some fruit trees soon. I know they take years before they produce, so the sooner the better. Fingers crossed I will be ready for them next year. And I think because we had such an off spring is why my peas have been doing so well. This is our first week in the 80s which is not normal. I think the cooler temps have helped keep them happy and producing. I have been able to collect 3 zucchini already but I found my first squash bugs in them yesterday. So here starts the never ending battle with those terrible bugs. But nothing else is ready for harvest yet. Really is and off year.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6735 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6735 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2023 :  4:26:28 PM  Show Profile
Here was our pea picking last night. My boys wanted to count how many we had. We ended up picking 108 peas last night and there will be more ready today! I think I finally have enough to keep up with them lol!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6735 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6735 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2023 :  9:02:48 PM  Show Profile
How was everyone's July? I hope you are all having a great summer so far and you all have had some great weather. The last couple of days we have had some rain and then highs have been in the 70's. It has been wonderful. My garden is also doing pretty well, but I did lose one pumpkin plant to the squash bugs. I have been extra careful with my last pumpkin plant so that I can save it from them.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 36 Gathered Up: Previous Topic 49 and under Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page