Page: of 4

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  11:47:20 AM  Show Profile
Don't know if this has been discussed before or not but we have started using these. My friend's daughter had made some and sent them to us. A neighbor who tye dyes is going to dye up some white flannel for us and we are going to try and make some of our own. I also want to make a pretty little bag to carry them in instead of clear ziploc.

I just can't stand paying so much for the others anymore - especially with myself and two teenage girls using them!

Anyone else use these? Pros/Cons?

Blessings!

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  1:01:17 PM  Show Profile
hmmmm...interesting topic. Not bad, just interesting. I have never actually heard of these. How do you hmmm? How does it work? What do they look like? I am very curious, but not curious to try. Sorry, no offense, I am just the only women in our house so I dont mind paying the cost, but with you having a bunch of girls, I understand it can be costly.

lilpunkin

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  1:53:46 PM  Show Profile
They work like normal except you wash them. http://www.gladrags.com and the Hillbilly housewife have good info. if you do a search for them there's a whole lot of links that will pop up.

Edited by - ArmyWifey on Dec 06 2006 1:55:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  2:11:11 PM  Show Profile
I went to the site and I have to say I am truly amazed at what they have available.

lilpunkin

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  2:22:37 PM  Show Profile
I checked out the site too and it was very intersting. I have seen some cloth menstral pads on Etsy but like lilpunkin I don't think they are for me. My period is so light I usually get away with two tampons and a pantyliner the first day and just a panty liner the second day. I can go a whole year on one 24 box of each! I think it is a great idea for those who are trying to save money or be earth concious.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  2:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
interesting topic

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com
my web stores www.sunshines.etsy.com and http://vintagethreads.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  2:59:54 PM  Show Profile
If they work for you than that is great. My question is are they that cost effective? I saw that they were like $42 for a set. OUCH! I don't think I spend that much on fem. products in a year, maybe even two. And then of course you have to add to the fact that you have to clean them. So I am just curious as to the cost effectiveness.

lilpunkin

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  6:21:43 PM  Show Profile
Imake my own and they work rather nicely. More cost effective even if you do buy a set for $42. Imagine what you would pay over the lifetime of your Moon Cycle? LOTS OF MONEY! not to mention the detriment to the environment....aaaaand (this might sound a little gross to some peoplebut...) the water you soak them in san be poured into the garden or houseplants...

All around they are more cost effective. they are better fro you and your pocket book and the environment. I highly recommend them. Either make your own or buy them. A lot of wimmin sell them that they made on ebay. just use their search function.

okay, gotta go. using the cousin's computer....

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  6:35:49 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Tasha. I use them...have for about a year now. I bought mine from a farmgirl..but could make my own. Either way..the cost is for sure worth it. Much like using cloth diapers..which I did too.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  9:42:07 PM  Show Profile
I made some for post partum this time and loved them just didn't make enough in time!!! There are some free patterns on the web, just do a search for them if interested.
I can't see any cons for myself but as a teenager that isn't sure about wearing them, that might be a con. If your girls are totally on board with the idea then I don't see a con.
Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin 3 and Andrew 8 months!!

http://hansenhootenanny.blogspot.com/

Edited by - ~Tracey~ on Dec 06 2006 9:43:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  10:30:18 PM  Show Profile
Considering a package of Always with wings costs upwards of $5.00 and you have to buy the night time ones too than it is way cheaper to buy two yards of flannel and make them. Even if you pay the $6.00 a pad it's cheaper in the long run and you just wash them with other laudry so that's not really a factor.

So far my girls (17 and 14) think they are more comfy than the others -- this is really our first cycle using them only but no complaints yet. Course my 14yo barely speaks about such things.......

Blessings,

Holly

Edited by - ArmyWifey on Dec 06 2006 10:32:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  06:31:18 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
They are definitely much more comfortable. We have talked about this in another thread, but my memory is like swiss cheese and I have no idea where. Cloth pads are much healthier as well. Just stop to think about all the bleach and dioxins to make the disposables white and the chemicals they use to make them absorbent you have to wonder about. Most of the time I use a natural rubber cup. You can find info about it at www.thekeeper.com . When I use the cloth pads I don't break out with reactions and i notice no cramps and such. I think we have done ourselves a great disservice in our land of convience by having so much convience and throw away things.
I just did a random search online and found a free pattern, took some old flannel shirts and made my first ones. Oh so comfy.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  07:11:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the keeper!! I used one (not the keeper brand, one I got from the grocery store) with skepticism but actually liked it. I have alos heard of sea sponges being used..googling for more info...
http://www.birthwithsol.com/jaandpeseasp.html
Here's an article that talks about the different products http://www.foodrevolution.org/askjohn/49.htm
All this said, I have had very few cycles in the past 10 years because of pregnancy and extended breast-feeding so I cannot vouch on long-term use. Someday I will have to deal with all this again and I will propably use a product such as the keeper for when I go out and cloth pads at home.

Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin 3 and Andrew 8 months!!

http://hansenhootenanny.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  07:40:59 AM  Show Profile
See the keeper wouldn't bother me. I have just NEVER been a fan of pads. They always made me feel dirty. I stopped using pads the second month I had my period. I just hate them. The keep thing looked interesting but looks kind of uncomfortable. I may try it out though as Sarah makes a great point about the bleach and chemicals and other stuff.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  07:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I was skeptical about the keeper at first but I absolutely love it now. Alot of times I will even forget that I am wearing it. Good thing about it, since it isn't absorbing like tampons, you can wear it for extended times without worry. They also offer a money back guarantee if you don't like it. This is different that the ones I have seen at the store. Can't remember the name but they were really small and just fit over the cervix..I didn't like that. There is also another version called the diva cup I believe.

Something else I have noticed is that my periods don't last as long as they did before I used the cup.

Sarah

Edited by - MustangSuzie on Dec 07 2006 08:00:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  08:15:57 AM  Show Profile
I have used the cups as well -- the ones from the store called Instead, and they were ok but pricey as well when you price it out.

Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  5:31:53 PM  Show Profile
Do these cup things work well with heavy bleeding? I have very heavy bleeding the first day and then two days of heavy or light..whatever mother earth feels like torturing me with...
Cristine
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  11:32:59 PM  Show Profile
AWWWW the joys of a hysterectomy, I can hardly remember those days.
I dont even have to go down that isle at the grocery store anymore. HEHE
Shirley
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  07:29:23 AM  Show Profile
I have a question about the cup...do you empty it into the toilet?
Do you wash it?

I am just now using cloth pads, and I do love them..I use cloth diapers so washing the pads is no big deal.

Tasha, I read about watering plants...I think I will try that!!
Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  08:33:54 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Yes you just empty the cup in the toilet. You can also rinse it if you like, but if you are someplace that you cannot rinse it, it is ok too. I usually wash mine good with soap when i take a bath/shower as well, just be sure to rinse all the soap off very well. The cup is going to work great on camping trips next summer. It's almost a kind of freedom as everything you need you have right with you, wherever you are.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  09:09:00 AM  Show Profile
Oh, so glad you ladies are talkign about this. Since I had surgery to remove the uterus fromcancer last year, I no longer need my cloth pads.

I started using them after my daughter was born 14 years ago. I bought one and then made my own from that and just fiddling around. I like to m ke rectangular flannel cloths, double layered and fold into thirds to wear under a flannel wrap-around-the-panties one (just like Always with wings store brand).

Yes, i started out soaking them and recycling the water on the garden, but during the winter time, I just dump the water. You just rinse with cold water and wash with regular clothes in the washing machine. I found hanging them to dry made them too hard to be comfortable, so I use the dryer for them.

My daughter never got into them when she starte dher cycle about a year ago. Maybe when she gets older.

here is a funny story to read about them.:

My husband went to pick me and my daughter up from the airport on a return trip from Florida where I was helping with my sister. Anyway, he had our new German Shepherd pup in the car with him. At the time I had a really old white Buick to drive around, no AC as it broke. It was summer and he got pulled over on the turnpike in NJ for "suspicious reasons" . They made him get out of the car and searched the vehicle. There was a ziplock bag in there with my clean flannel pads. Steve was very amused by the one cop "sniffing them for drugs" (apparently). He was laughing but afraid to tell the other cop what those flannel rectangles were used for. :-)

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

KitchenWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Kristina
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  09:38:22 AM  Show Profile  Click to see KitchenWitch's MSN Messenger address
Hey, ladies. I'm a fan of the homemade ones myself. Used them for years until I lost all my patterns and pads during a move. Haven't gotten around to replacing them yet. I use organic cotton products now.

FYI, many women report lighter periods after they stop using mass-market feminine hygiene products--especially tampons--because major manufacturers chemically process the cotton to increase our flow. At one time, they were adding potassium to the cotton to encourage more bleeding so we'd buy more products. Even today, the materials used to bleach and soften the cotton aren't exactly user-friendly. And that doesn't even touch on the pesticides present...

Live deliberately, simply, abundantly. Remind your neighbors how to thrive.
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  10:43:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,
Like Clare, I made mine myself - just got a commercial pad with wings that felt comfortable, traced around (adding about 2 cm around for seam allowance). Then cut two from flannel (I bought a few flannel baby nappies) and as many layers as you want from towelling (again, I just bought a few towelling nappies). I use three layers of towelling for heavy, down to one for light, and just the flannel for a liner. Put the towelling pieces on top of the flannel pieces, sew all around (leaving an opening for turning), turn right side out and sew the opening closed. Then sew a press stud onto the wings. These have worked really well for me.
I am wondering though whether I will be able to convince my daughters to use them (peer pressure to be the 'same' as everyone else, etc.) They are 11 and 9 now, so the issue will be coming up soon. How do others cope with this issue with their teenagers?
I wash them the same as Tasha does.
Hope this is some help (and I am so glad to find others who can discuss this topic sensibly without 'grossing out'!!)
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  08:30:23 AM  Show Profile
Well my girls are ok with them.......we homeschool as well so that's not an issue. I think if they went to public school I might buy some others for school time and then have the homemade ones for home. Unless they are very sure of themselves and don't mind carrying a pretty opaque little bag in thier backpack/purse (gladrags has some of these as well). I am going to use patterns I downloaded off the internet to make ours.

The ones we have that my friend made are all flannel -- the pad is a couple of thicknnesses and then you can add "inserts" in a little sleeve behind, the wings button around your panties.

Edited by - ArmyWifey on Dec 09 2006 08:31:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  08:49:22 AM  Show Profile
Kristina!
I can't believe the society we live in?? Is everyone out for a dollar? And I am sure these big corps don't even care about our health!!

Big Business will obviously stop at nothing!! Adding potassium so they can sell more!!! What is someone had a bleeding disorder??

I am using the "natural" femine products as well, but I am planning on making some cloth pads after Christmas.

I have noticed ALOT less cramping since I've stopped using Tampax tampons.

Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2006 :  1:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I was just talking about this issue with hubby (of all people). I have a Diva cup, but it always tilts on me...it seems that I only get it in right about 1 out of 4 times (I have the size 2 like the company recomends, but suspect that it is too big as my body seems to want to push it out). I hate using regular tampons with the risk of bacteria and the additives in them, not to mention the price. Regular sanitary napkins seem too rough for me and cause rashes and blisters even though I am very cautious to keep them changed. What concerns me with the homemade pads is the smell. Has anybody had a problem with this?

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Homemade Menstrual pads Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page