Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2015 :  12:05:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls,

I'm playing Christmas music today, and got to thinking. I can't wait to pull out my Christmas decorations. What are your most special, treasured ornaments, and why?

I'll go first. I have a glass bell that was given to me when I was four by the great lady that lived across the street when I was growing up. She was a grandmother to me, just not by blood. I loved her so much, and she always gave special, keepsake gifts. I wish I still had the handmade pin cushion that used to hang in my room on the wall, stuffed with my childhood hair (from haircuts), or the hand beaded stocking (ruined in a flood). But I still have the bell. It's porcelain and goes in the china cabinet at Christmas instead of on the tree.

Another special decoration is the one my husband and I bought together for our first tree. "First Christmas together" it says. 23 years old now.

One I leave out all year is one my baby girl made in kindergarten. It's now eight years old.

And last but not least, the handmade paper bowls from MaryJane and Meg that are crafted from vintage Christmas cards and once appeared in a Christmas issue of MaryJanesFarm. They are very, very special and sit in a place of honor in my favorite room.

What special decorations do you have?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2015 :  8:01:48 PM  Show Profile
My favorite Christmas decoration just so happens to be my Christmas stocking. My grandma made it for me when I was born, considering I was only a week old when I celebrated my first Christmas! It holds a special place in my heart knowing how much work she put into making the stocking along with all the tiny intricate details. Its days like this when I reminisce on the past that I wish she was still here to help me make one for my little baby so he could enjoy his for years to come as I have. I do have plans to use some of her material in making his stocking so he will have a part of her at Christmas as well.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2015 :  9:00:20 PM  Show Profile
I am a Nativity collector... The first Christmas my hubby and I were married, he bought me aNativity set that is made from porcelain and paper mâché.

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RedClover
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Christina
Bloomington Indiana
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2015 :  3:02:37 PM  Show Profile
My most precious decorations are the ornaments that my children made in preschool and elementary school. I can still remember them coming home from school, so excited to give me they're little gifts, wrapped in tissue paper :). Every year since 1998, the top of our tree has been adorned with a little angel my daughter made from a toilet paper roll when she was 5.

Farmgirl #6543
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  07:44:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi Krista,

I love your stocking story. The lady who lived across the street from me when I was born was amazingly talented. She worked as a designer for Neiman Marcus (not just a seamstress, but designer. She was ahead of her time!)and she could sew, quilt, design, you name it. She made me a white and pink hand beaded stocking that hung over my bed as a child. It was shaped like a pink cowgirl boot! Oh I wish I still had it. It was one of those things that was lost when we moved after my parents divorced.

Shannon, I always wanted a nativity and I want to say I've had mine close to twenty years or more now. It's porcelain and beautiful. I paid a lot for it, but not as much as retail since it was from Costco. I recently saw them (similar to mine) but now they are resin. That will be something I will hand down to my daughter. It is so pretty, and large. I'd love to see a post of your collection!

Christina, so sweet! Don't you miss the days of when children are small. Christmas is so magical then.

Farmgirl hugs and ho ho ho,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  11:08:35 PM  Show Profile
I love all my ornaments, especially the ones made by or given by family but my favorite was a tiny plaster sheep I got from my uncle when I was small. As an adult I began to add a new sheep each year to my flock. They are rounded up inside a wooden fence around a 16 " feather tree. Of course I love the wood nativity set my husband I bought in our first Christmas together 53 years ago.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2015 :  06:49:02 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie, Post a pic of the sheep!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2015 :  10:00:35 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
This ceramic heart is a very special decoration. It was made and given to me by two brothers who were in the children's choir at church and it was a thank you gift for directing them in their Christmas musical. I don't know what year the musical was but this ornament went through our house fire in July 1994 and came out unscathed! And yes, "Wise men still seek Him"! Of course, these brothers are now grown, married and with children of their own . .
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2015 :  12:08:30 PM  Show Profile
I can't say it's my favorite Christmas thing, but it's the one I put out every year no matter what is happening in my life. My son made it in elementary school but since I didn't date it I don't remember how old he was. He's in his 40s so it's got to be 30 something years old.

It's a cardboard Santa with it's legs & arms attached with brads and all strung together on a cord. When you pull the cord the arms & legs move. It's hanging on my china cabinet door and it makes me smile every time I pull it.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2015 :  10:14:49 PM  Show Profile

( you can see it on the coffee table, left end.. and are moving things out of the room to get ready for the Tree.)
A tradition,, that my family did as I was growing up both in the USA and Germany.. was to display every December, a wooden 'Pyramid'.. with 6 candles at the base to generate enough heat to make the horizontal windmill turn,,, thus the little figurines would turn...

The one I have been using for the past 20 years is from my childhood best friend, Irmgard,,, who lives in Germany.. Her family lived next door to my grandparents and when I lived with my grandparents I was treated as one of their own kids...
Irmgard and I joke that we are sisters separated at birth...
Every year I display my pyramid... and we light the candles on Sunday evenings.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Dec 01 2015 10:19:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2015 :  06:29:49 AM  Show Profile
What a beautiful wooden pyramid and what a wonderful memory it has with it! I bet it is lovely all lit up and twirling about.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2015 :  1:48:12 PM  Show Profile
My stocking would probably be the most sentimental decoration. My mother made it when she was pregnant with me. It is one of those felt kits with stuffed characters and edged in beads and sequins. It stays at her house with the one she made for my sister, but it's still my favorite decoration.

Ornament-wise, I have two Victorian boots and two Victorian ladies dressed in feathers and velvet with China faces that my mother bought me when I was young that are both beautiful and sentimental. There is also a Barbie collection (1992-2003) that comes out every year, despite my husband's eye-rolling. My cousins and I would exchange ornaments at thanksgiving every year when we were younger and they remind me of them.

This year, my son is two and I had idea to give Christmas ornaments to grandparents. Last year was a "Mistle-toes" wall canvas of his footprints and I'm kicking myself for not making one for our house, so this year, I had him paint an ornament for us. It's not even finished and I already cherish it! I can't wait until he brings decorations home from school one day

“If more of us valued good food and cheer above hoards of gold, it would be a merrier world." - Tolkien

http://myfrenchreligion.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2015 :  7:59:11 PM  Show Profile
Most of the ornaments I had were my daughters, when she moved to her own place I packed them up for her. That left me with few ornaments, so I started buying vintage glass ornaments. I have found them in antique shops or estate sales. My daughter bought me a sleeping beauty ornament from her honeymoon at Disney world, so I am looking forward to putting that on the tree this year.

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2015 :  10:20:30 AM  Show Profile
My favorite ornaments are a bunch of decorated puffed glass hearts that I bought in Rothenberg ob Der Tauber Germany. It was our first visit back since we were stationed there in the Air Force. I had never been there, but knew of the world famous Christmas store. It was wonderful, packed with everything Christmas - and my husband let me run wild. Now I look for glass hearts everywhere.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2015 :  07:36:33 AM  Show Profile

This is my shelf at work. I've put up my sledding doxies, my little girl spying on Santa (have to add a fireplace), and a nativity. Thank goodness for Double-sided tape!

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2015 :  7:45:14 PM  Show Profile
That's quite a collection Vanessa. Love the doxies on sleds. Thanks for the pix

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2015 :  07:59:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh! I love this. It is awesome to see what everyone has and cherishes...different decorations like different personalities.

I saw some antique salt and pepper shakers in a store, but didn't pick them up because I really don't need them. They weren't expensive, but we were supposed to be shopping for everyone else. I got home, wishing I had picked them up. So my hubby found some on Ebay and had them shipped to me! He really surprised me. I'll think of that each year when they get put out.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2015 :  7:26:03 PM  Show Profile
Here are some pictures of my Christmas treasures.

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2015 :  7:27:31 PM  Show Profile
Here are a few more.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  05:28:03 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie and Audra, these miniatures are so cute! I love how you have al the Christmas scenes tucked away on shelves , Each shelf is like a shadow box of holiday fun!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  6:20:47 PM  Show Profile
My bookcases are new this Christmas. We got two of them at Fleet Farm and the boxes were six feet long. We have a Honda Fit and they just fit. I was driving but there was no room for my hubby. lol. We had to have our son pick up the book cases in his car to bring them home. Still laughing.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  6:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Bonnie,
Love your little displays! Thanks!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Special decorations? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page