True Blue Farmgirl

183 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
183 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2024 :  6:34:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi to All!

I am finally returning to work on a Quilt of Valor that I put aside in order to finish the last of the Family Christmas stockings. It is the most difficult pattern that I have ever attempted, but it will be well worth the effort once I finish it! I am making it for my husband's Uncle Bill who is a retired Navy SEAL. He retired a few years ago as the Bullfrog, which I found out means that he was the longest continually serving SEAL at the time. He was also highly decorated and retired as a Captain. He enlisted at 17 because he convinced Grandma to sign for him. I can't wait to finish it for him! Such an honor to do so!

Nancy 8352
Go to Top of Page

GinnyBelle
True Blue Farmgirl

504 Posts

Hannah
West Lafayette IN
USA
504 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2024 :  7:55:52 PM  Show Profile
I just submitted my beginner Know Your Roots badge and as soon as I can figure out where I put the book I need to read, I will be starting my intermediate Secret Life of Bees. Also have a few others I need to regroup and revisit.

Hannah #6994
February 2023 FGOTM
Go to Top of Page

GinnyBelle
True Blue Farmgirl

504 Posts

Hannah
West Lafayette IN
USA
504 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2024 :  09:29:27 AM  Show Profile
Hey ladies! If any of you are working on your Carpe Cocoa: Seize the Chocolate badge, I just came across this in my latest Yankee Magazine.

Hannah #6994
February 2023 FGOTM
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

715 Posts

Jill
Saanichton British Columbia
Canada
715 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2024 :  10:00:27 AM  Show Profile
Ooh, that sounds delicious, Hannah. I was just going through the badges that I had printed out last year and the chocolate one is amongst them. I have registered.

Thank you for your prodding, Krista. I sat down this morning and submitted for two badges - Spinning (expert) and Relaxation (beginner). I am going to submit for the beginner level of Reading,'Riting and "Rythmatic. I read tons of fiction. I take out lots of non-fiction books from the library but only dip into them for information. However, I just bought a new book called Fleece and Fibre, about the textile producers on Vancouver Island (where I live). My husband is a shearer and there's a photo of him shearing included. I know a lot of the producers, so it will be a very interesting read. I recently read a kids book written in poetry which I thought was very well done. In general, I'm not much of a poetry fan. Happy New Year everyone!!

Jill
Farmgirl #6748

"When life gets super crazy, do your art. It helps you remember the exquisite, imaginary, delightful, lovely side of what is otherwise sometimes a bit much" Sylvia Olsen

Edited by - jillyd on Jan 13 2024 6:53:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6735 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6735 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2024 :  2:28:36 PM  Show Profile
Karen, I really need to work on the mediation badge as well. It would be super helpful for me.

Nancy, that sounds wonderful. I hope you will share a picture with us once you finish.

Great job Hannah!

Great job Jill! It's exciting seeing everyone finishing badges! Helps me get myself in gear. I am so close to finishing my calligraphy book. I plan to finish it this week so I can apply for that badge as well. That is awesome that your husbands picture is included in the book. I hope you enjoy your new book.

Krista

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3004 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3004 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2024 :  5:40:15 PM  Show Profile
I am happy to report I earned both the beginner and intermediate levels of the Relaxation badge! Hopefully I can keep it up. I'd like to earn at least one badge a month - but I'm hoping for more.

Jill - that's awesome that your husband is in a book!

Hannah - that chocolate webinar sounds fun - I'm not sure I'll be in the house from chores in time to join :(

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6735 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6735 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2024 :  11:53:04 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Heather! You are on a roll!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

715 Posts

Jill
Canada
715 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2024 :  12:57:32 PM  Show Profile
Krista, when you say you're almost finished your Calligraphy book, is it some kind of workbook? If so what is it and where did you get it?

Thanks.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748

"When life gets super crazy, do your art. It helps you remember the exquisite, imaginary, delightful, lovely side of what is otherwise sometimes a bit much" Sylvia Olsen
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

715 Posts

Jill
Canada
715 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2024 :  1:13:36 PM  Show Profile
Way to go, Heather! I'm trying to spend some time each day either knitting or spinning (without listening to an audio book or watching Netflix) for the Intermediate Relaxation Badge. What are you doing for the expert badge?

Jill
Farmgirl #6748

Edited by - jillyd on Jan 17 2024 1:14:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3004 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3004 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2024 :  5:10:36 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure what I'll do yet for the expert level. I think I'll see if I can find a fun "class" on youtube to learn something new - maybe work another badge into it in the process.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6735 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6735 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2024 :  12:35:23 PM  Show Profile
Jill, no its not a workbook. It's the reading book required for the badge. It's called "Modern Calligraphy" by Molly Suber Thorpe. I purchased mine from Thrift books.com. I finished reading it this week, so now I am ready to apply for the badge. And now I started the book required for the intermediate Lost Art of Letter Writing badge. Hopefully I am not as slow with reading this book.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

183 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
183 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2024 :  5:52:15 PM  Show Profile
Krista, I will definitely be putting up pics of the Quilt of Valor! I am enjoying getting back to quilting after spending so much time over the past two years working on all of those needlepoint stockings! It was a labor of love for my family, and now everyone has one! However, it is soooo nice to get back to some sort of "normal" things. I want to get back to working more on my UFOs, too. So much to do, and I am happy to be able to do it!

Nancy 8352
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6735 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6735 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2024 :  12:20:03 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, I do know that all those stockings mean so much to everyone. I have one from my grandma and I truly cherish it. I would love to make my kids one someday.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

183 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
183 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2024 :  4:07:34 PM  Show Profile
Krista, do it...you won't regret it! I am so proud to say that each member of my large clan has a stocking handmade by Nana (that's me)! My branch of the family tree is a great group!
They really appreciate homemade and made with love. I am, however, glad that for the time being I don't have to make any for a while.

Nancy 8352
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6735 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6735 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2024 :  12:17:10 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, I do hope to be the same way. I came from a small family and my husband came from a large family. I love the large family life and would love tons of grandkids. If my body would have let me I would have had more kids lol!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

shennandoah
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Shennandoah
La Vernia TX
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2024 :  6:42:36 PM  Show Profile
Wow y’all have been busy and making great progress! I’ve been swamped at work and traveling from conference to conference, so very behind on submissions. I’m about to submit for homespun Christmas. Everyone got at least one homemade or homegrown item. I have lots to do in the garden category. Getting ready for spring and already started sprouting seeds. My first honey bees arrive in May, and I’ve been canning and dehydrating the harvest. So much to document and submit!

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6735 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6735 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2024 :  11:56:50 AM  Show Profile
Wow Shennandoah, you have been super busy! But it all sounds like fun. Great work on getting so many badges done. Hopefully it wont take you too long to get them all submitted.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

shennandoah
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Shennandoah
La Vernia TX
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2024 :  8:20:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Krista. I submitted one last night and one just now. I also have a pile of tin can lids that I want to use to make plant markers for all of my fruit trees and roses. I’m trying to do a better job of documenting the varieties. And I need to get cracking with my embroidery sampler so I can get to embroidering my badges and get them on my tote bag :-)
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6735 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6735 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2024 :  11:33:40 AM  Show Profile
I still need to figure out how I want to display my badges. I do like the idea of a bag. Or maybe even a blanket.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

GinnyBelle
True Blue Farmgirl

504 Posts

Hannah
West Lafayette IN
USA
504 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2024 :  12:28:43 PM  Show Profile

This is how I am displaying mine! I've made little pendants out of them and I hang them from cup hooks on a board my husband made me. I use a different colored fabric strip to correspond with what level I have earned... Brown for beginner, blue for Intermediate, and red for Expert.

Hannah #6994
February 2023 FGOTM
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1445 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1445 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2024 :  7:26:01 PM  Show Profile
Very creative, Hannah! I love it! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6735 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6735 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2024 :  12:45:22 PM  Show Profile
Hannah, that is a super neat idea! How creative. You will have that thing filled up in no time.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6735 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6735 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2024 :  3:21:47 PM  Show Profile
I applied for my beginner calligraphy and expert UFO badge today!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9258 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9258 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2024 :  12:17:36 PM  Show Profile
I applied for my beginner embroidery. I will be applying for the next two levels this coming week I hope to anyway.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

183 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
183 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2024 :  3:07:51 PM  Show Profile
Very cute idea, Hannah! Keep up the good work ladies! I hope to be applying for some badges coming up here soon also!

Nancy 8352
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 49 Merit Badge Chit Chat:  Just a bit of merit badge chit chat Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page