Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Chit Chat
 Just a bit of merit badge chit chat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Just a bit of merit badge chit chat Next Topic
Page: of 47

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2020 :  12:04:25 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, Way to go on submitting for all 3 tree badges and finishing up on weather badges.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

710 Posts

Jill
Saanichton British Columbia
Canada
710 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2020 :  11:38:45 AM  Show Profile
Wow Winnie! Those badges sound great! Definitely of interest to me. When I was homeschooling my kids we did a unit on trees and identified all the trees on our property (it's mostly forest) and found it fascinating. I'm not sure I remember them all now, but it would to work it all out again. Especially since a number of the trees are dying with the drier summers. We've had to take down 5 Cedars that have died and a couple more will be gone within a year. There are far too many to water them, although I water my new little fruit trees. We definitely don't have enough water to water the forested piece of our property! I love hearing about what everyone is working on, it's so inspiring.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748

"When life gets super crazy, do your art. It helps you remember the exquisite, imaginary, delightful, lovely side of what is otherwise sometimes a bit much" Sylvia Olsen
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2020 :  12:46:33 PM  Show Profile
Wow Winnie! You have been very busy. Congratulations on completing all 3 of your tree badges and congratulations on the future weather badges.

Sara, your new badge sounds fun. Keep us updated as you go along. Don’t feel bad about being slow. I’m very slow as well. I thinks that’s why I end up with so many unfinished projects. I just need more hours in the day or less sleep lol!

My cross stitch is coming along nicely. I have done some more rows and stayed up late last night working on it. Now that it is getting easier I find myself thinking of other ones I would like to make lol! This is where I’m at right now.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2020 :  12:50:27 PM  Show Profile
Krista, very nice!

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2020 :  06:00:37 AM  Show Profile
Krista, your progress looks great! This Summer, I started back with cross stitching again after i laid it aside 30+ years ago. There was a time that I did a lot of cross stitching when my children were younger. But as they grew, I became way to busy with all their after school activities and work. It is al lot of fun to watch a blank piece of fabric turn into something pretty. Keep up the great work and enjoy doing more projects!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2020 :  06:06:47 AM  Show Profile
That's wonderful Winnie! Congrats!! Its so fun to learn about all the trees, weeds and wildflowers around here too! So many different kinds! Like you, I have a notebook filled with bark and leaves, flowers and weeds. The weather is the same here. Having to dodge these storms to mow. Stay cool and safe. Being outdoors us wonderful isnt it tho??

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2020 :  12:27:21 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Sara and Winnie. I worked more on it yesterday and finally started on the next color. I told Everleigh it will be hers when I finish and now that’s all she talks about. Very first thing this morning she brought it to me and asked me to finish it. Lol she makes me smile. Winnie, do you ever get faster? I feel more comfortable with the stitches but I still struggle with finding the correct hole with the needle from behind. Does that get easier or stay about the same? I think I may have found my cross stitch pattern for the intermediate level. I love learning new skills!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2020 :  12:53:07 PM  Show Profile
Kirsta, Everleigh sure knows what she wants and how to ask for it. What's your next cross stitch project?

I'm working on two badges and gathering supplies for a third. Make it Easy in the Garden. The intermediate badge calls for using 15 tin cans in garden. April is hosting a swap for a tin can windsock so I through I would make some, so I checked my planner and found what I was looking for. BTW I'm not joining in on the swap but the picture inspired me to make it.

Along with the tin can windsocks I thought I would make citronella candles and put in chicken & tuna fish cans. Ordered a book on candle making from Thrift Books and since I had earned points for a free book I didn't have to pay the 4.98 which was a very good thing. Now to collect 15 assorted tin cans.

Go to Top of Page

Tchr66
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Terri
Clarington Ohio
USA
451 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2020 :  7:18:31 PM  Show Profile
The idea of writing an essay, story, and poem seemed like such an easy thing. I enjoy writing. The problem I have is discovered is I have never been given a writing assignment without at least a general topic. This is proving to be more difficult than I had predicted.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord
Joshua 24:15
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2020 :  7:25:45 PM  Show Profile
Start with something that is easy to talk, think and write about.

Marie
Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

710 Posts

Jill
Canada
710 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2020 :  11:02:17 AM  Show Profile
When I was homeschooling my kids, I had a jar of topics that they could draw from. It gave them a starting point. We also used a dictionary, letting it fall open and with your eyes shut, touch the page. Do it three time and you can make a up a story based on those three words. Sometimes when we were camping and it was too dark to read, they would each give me a word and I would make up a story to tell them. You could get three friends to each give you a word. Even if it isn't your final version, it might give you a whimsical way to get started. Good luck Terri!

Here's three words (if they help): flower(s), ocean, cookies. Now I feel like writing something

Jill
Farmgirl #6748

"When life gets super crazy, do your art. It helps you remember the exquisite, imaginary, delightful, lovely side of what is otherwise sometimes a bit much" Sylvia Olsen

Edited by - jillyd on Jul 12 2020 11:06:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2020 :  11:56:15 AM  Show Profile
Jill, good advice. Terri, hope you come up with an idea soon and get to writing.

I'm on page 14 of my cozy mystery so it's coming along slowly. Six more pages and I can submit it for a badge. After that I will be on my own to finish it.

Go to Top of Page

Tchr66
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Terri
Clarington Ohio
USA
451 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2020 :  2:28:31 PM  Show Profile
Dear Ladies,
Thanks so much for the help. I am actually excited about the essay, the starting point finally came this morning. I will tell you it is beef stew. I can not wait for you to see it and hear your feed back.

A cookie, the ocean and a flower?... for single me, I am pretty sure I know where that will go.
Thanks again everyone.
You have been great help.

Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2020 :  07:43:16 AM  Show Profile
What an inspiration you ladies are! I just started my tree badge yesterday.

I also made my own badge planner with printouts of requirements of some badges I want to work on. I'm excited!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Farm Girl #790

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

https://www.instagram.com/elliefunt_/

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2020 :  08:14:20 AM  Show Profile
Way to go, Deb.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2020 :  1:06:30 PM  Show Profile
For my intermediate level I found a really pretty bear that has a mountain scene on the inside of its body. I found the pattern on Etsy and purchased it yesterday. The pattern also had a list of DMC floss that I needed, so I placed an order for my floss, a hoop, some extra needles, and the Aida cloth. It says it’s expected to arrive Monday. I’m hoping sooner though. If all goes to plan, I hope to get it framed and give it to my mom for Christmas.

I also received my Merit Badge Binder on Saturday. Oh boy am I so excited! I was looking through and I think I will start the Origami Badge while I wait for my intermediate supplies. I have basically at the finish line for my beginner badge. I just need to finish the outline, make the stars and cut it to fit the round frame it came with.

Sara, your citronella candles sound great. I would definitely love to make me some. I wanted to get us a citronella plant this year but never got around to it. I definitely will be next year to help keep those pesky misquotes away.

Terri, I’m glad your starting point finally came to you. I find it tough to write stories when I’m not given a direction to start.

Great job Deb. Keep us posted.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2020 :  1:27:11 PM  Show Profile
Krista, I'm gathering the things to make the candles now but won't do it until cooler weather. All candle making will be done out in my YRC on the hotplate. It'll be months before I complete all 3 of the tin can badges. In the meantime I'll keep on writing and working on the bowl pillars.

I wrote more today and am now on page 16.

Krista your bear sounds precious. I did a large wool applique awhile back that's a sheep with a house & trees on it's inside body.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2020 :  4:15:51 PM  Show Profile
Sara, when you get to that time let me know how the candles go and how well they work. And it looks like you are only 4 pages away from completing your story. I bet that’s exciting. Your applique sounds beautiful. I am getting antsy and keep checking my tracking and it still says Monday. Yesterday I finished my cross stitch project but I haven’t gotten it cut and put in the frame yet. Once I do that I will apply for the badge. Supper excited to be making progress!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

710 Posts

Jill
Canada
710 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2020 :  4:34:17 PM  Show Profile
Can you post a picture of your completed cross stitch Krista? I'd love to see it.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2020 :  4:44:39 PM  Show Profile
Krista it'll be the first 20 pages of my cozy mystery. I have many pages and chapters to go before it's finished.

Didn't work on the badges today, but did enjoy working with my herbs and cooking.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2020 :  2:49:26 PM  Show Profile
Yes Jill that is my plan!

Here is my completed cross stitch! Everleigh loves it and was so excited when I gave it to her. Now Monday can’t come fast enough for my second one to get here! I just need to apply for the badge now.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2020 :  2:56:43 PM  Show Profile
Very nice, Krista, you do good work.

I finished the first 20 pages yesterday and now I need to work on submitting it after I do the first editing. Maybe by Monday I can submit it.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2020 :  3:22:36 PM  Show Profile
I submitted for the Ink Slinger expert badge today.

I re-read two of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle books – “Casebook of Sherlock Holmes” and “The Return of Sherlock Holmes. I first read Doyle’s short stories as a teenager and they inspired me to write; his Sherlock Holmes stories influence my writing today.

I’ve completed the first 20 pages of my new cozy mystery novel “The Season of Long Shadows Murders” a Little Eden Mystery - Pearl Jones Adventure.

Pearl Jones, seventy something, loves the lengthening shadows in the fall but she also dreads that time of the year. Days grow shorter and nights longer; evil raises its head in Little Eden, Texas, the Small-Town Murder Capital of Texas.

Pearl is drawn into two murders when the sheriff calls on her to identify a body in the middle of the Red River. Later that day a missing man is found murdered on Cemetery Road. In search of clues Pearl and Brodie (her lifelong friend) crosses the Red River Bridge into Oklahoma to gather information on the Johnson-McSwain feud. The body in the river turns out to be Cam Johnson and the other murdered man is Jolly McSwain. Now Pearl has to discover what part if any the feud plays in the two murders.

Go to Top of Page

Tchr66
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Terri
Clarington Ohio
USA
451 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2020 :  7:26:22 PM  Show Profile
Great work Krista. It has been fun to see your progress. Thank you for . Keep up the great work.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2020 :  05:58:34 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful Krista and how fun to give it to your little daughter who was excited to have it!

I completed my weather badge last week after I completed the month long log which kept various recordings of each day. I must say, it was fun and the badge really forced me to learn and understand the basic science of what happens on planet Earth which creates the weather patterns we all experience.

Sara, congratulations and I love that you are continuing the saga of Pearl who fearlessly gets to the bottom of local murders! I can’t wait until you complete your new Cozy Mystery and I hope it will be possible to get a copy to read and keep!! Let us know how this project continues to roll forward.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 47 Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Just a bit of merit badge chit chat Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page