Page: of 48

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13568 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13568 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  11:06:16 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Winnie!!
I don't see the Apple badge in the list yet and I believe most everyone at the farm is still on their vacation.
But I'm ready to submit my beginner one and soon to follow that one, my intermediate.

Going to pursue the other candlemaking projects soon, as well.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JThomp
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Justine
Raymore Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  6:56:13 PM  Show Profile
Things have settled down enough for me to finally post here. It has been a while since I've worked on merit badges and have been trying to decide which ones I'd like to work on. I do believe I'll finish Buttoned Up, start Music, and I've already started working on My Fair Farmgirl. I am looking forward to working on the Apple badge too!

CeeJay, your quilling project is so pretty!

Justine

FarmGirl Sister#2904

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13568 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13568 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  7:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you, Justine! I appreciate your kind comment!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

VT Oma
True Blue Farmgirl

325 Posts

Sheila
Greensboro Vermont
USA
325 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  8:59:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Krista, I was talking to my sister on the phone the other day and she was putting carrots in her banana bread, I have never heard of that, but that might be a good way to get that veggie hidden.
Sheila Farmgirl Sister 5766.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2016 :  4:06:35 PM  Show Profile
Hey ladies! Now that we are into the New Year and have the holidays behind us I would like to get an update on what merit badges everyone is working on and which badges you plan on accomplishing this year! I plan on starting my beginner level badge in crocheting. For Christmas I got crochet hooks and would love to make something for my baby! Anyone else going to be working on the crochet badge?

Thanks Sheila! I can give that a try. Does your sister puree them?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13568 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13568 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2016 :  4:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
No crochet badge for me, at least not right now. I don't know how and when I tried to learn I just got TOTALLY frustrated, so it's not on my list.
CJ

Go to Top of Page

kymomma4
True Blue Farmgirl

516 Posts

RoDonna
Frankfort Kentucky
USA
516 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2016 :  6:09:14 PM  Show Profile
CJ, I'm so the same way when it comes to crochet. I would love to learn though. I see so many things I want to make. :(

RoDonna

Farmgirl #2361
"Blessed is the farmgirl who helps make the world a better and healthy place" ~ Me

"For she is clothed with dignity and strength and without fear of the future"-Proverbs 31:25
www.pinterest.com/kymomma4
www.facebook.com/onthehomestead
Go to Top of Page

JThomp
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Justine
Raymore Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2016 :  6:17:22 PM  Show Profile
I just made a list today of badges I'd like to work on this year. Krista, I have the crochet badge on my list. My mom taught me when I was younger and I'm not very good at it but I'd like to get better. I'm a better knitter than crocheter. I also just applied for my expert Buttoned Up badge today.

FarmGirl Sister#2904

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13568 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13568 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2016 :  08:10:33 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I don't know how to knit either . . . crochet and knitting were just things we didn't learn. My mom taught herself to crochet when she was older and had raised all us kids and she made some beautiful afghans and shawls. I, however, had not done well with it . . . who knows.
I did teach myself to tat well enough to earn my first badge . . . I'm more likely to pursue tatting than crochet, but haven't done much of that lately either.

Now, sew? Play the piano? Glamp? Hike? Power walk? Garden? . . etc., etc., etc. Yup can do those! :D
CJ

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2016 :  6:55:49 PM  Show Profile
I agree with you CJ. I attempted once before to crochet and it didn’t work out so great. But then again I was trying to teach myself and it just was not working. I don’t want to give up already. That’s why I am making it a goal to learn this year. It would be really nice to have someone teach me, so I will be hunting down someone who can!!

Great Justine! It will be nice to have someone working alongside me I can contact to converse with! I will keep your name on my list! Ha ha

Krista
Go to Top of Page

JThomp
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Justine
Raymore Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2016 :  9:02:58 PM  Show Profile
Ha ha, Krista, as long as we are talking granny squares and things that end up square or rectangle, I might be alright. Shapes not so much. I got this brilliant idea before Christmas to crochet a scarf for my youngest son out of stars. I wanted to make them look like the Mario game stars. All I managed to do was fray the yarn from pulling it out so many times and I gave up. Maybe I'll attempt that again for my badge. I took classes through our parks and recreation to learn how to knit, then I spent some time with You Tube videos. Ha ha ha.

CJ, I would love to learn to tat! I'm all about your list of dos too.

Justine

FarmGirl Sister#2904

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2016 :  5:36:35 PM  Show Profile
Justine, I am perfectly fine with squares and rectangles. Once I master those shapes then I can move on to a more complicated shape. That scarf would look so cool. I hope you can master the star shape so you can make that scarf. I would love to see how it turns out once you complete it. I’m planning on having a family member teach me how to crochet. That way I can call them up when I need more help.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

JThomp
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Justine
Raymore Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2016 :  6:05:59 PM  Show Profile
I'll definitely post a picture of that scarf when I figure it out. I don't like anything to beat me either. Ha ha.

Justine

FarmGirl Sister#2904

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  1:25:11 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know when the new badges are listed, or how many? This was the first year I have started earning badges :) and I am looking forward to applying for one every month this year!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13568 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13568 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  1:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Shannon,
I was told by Brian that, the last he heard, the new badges will "roll out with the February Sister issue". So, perhaps we can look for them On February 1st.
CJ

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  2:10:54 PM  Show Profile
yay! Sounds great! Thanks CJ!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  6:55:45 PM  Show Profile
Shannon, are you waiting for the new list before you decide what to work on? Or do you have a general idea on what you would like to accomplish?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  06:02:25 AM  Show Profile
My goal this year is to apply for at least one badge every month this year. As a planner by nature, I will decide what month I want to work on which badge once the new ones come out.. Otherwise I will end up redoing the whole thing, silly me! I just applied for a few yesterday... I want to start crocheting a dishcloth every month, so that will get me the crochet badge... If I figure out how to do it, hahaha. I also need to make myself an apron, but have misplaced my pattern to be able to do at one. I have already started te intermediate gratitude badge, but need to write the editorial. I am thinking I might also focus on more of the kitchen badges...

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13568 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13568 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  5:15:41 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Have my Candlemaking badge and beginner certificate. Now to embroider the badge and move on to the intermediate projects.
CJ

Go to Top of Page

KristiW
Moderator/Farmgirl True

639 Posts

Kristine
MaryJanesFarm
USA
639 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2016 :  08:37:12 AM  Show Profile
Yay CJ! Now that you're talking intermediate, things could get wild

Kristi
Farmgirl Sister #6

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2016 :  3:31:15 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations CJ! Good luck with the intermediate badge.

Shannon, you can join Justine and me in working on the crochet badge. You have some really good goals for your badges this year. I can’t wait to see what you choose and see your finished products!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2016 :  05:21:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi all!

I'm been MIA for the last few months but am trying to get more intentional about hanging out here! Mostly for the community and to keep me doing crafts! I find my life is not in balance if I'm not doing something creative on a regular basis.

That said I am working on applying for badges that I have finished but not had the chance to apply for yet! I have already applies for several today and have a few more to go. After I'm done I'll come back and post what I plan to work on next (I am marking the ones I want to focus on as I go through the book). I can't wait for the new updates to come out!!

Ok so I really came here to ask a question-on the bread making badge do y'all know if there is an alternative for GF families? I can make the breads but I can't feed them to my family lol. That said I have some wheat berries to use up. I've made my own sour dough before as well so most of this isn't too hard just that only a couple of us can eat it :).

Thanks!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

Norwex www.sabrinascheerer.norwex.biz
Usborne Books and More! https://j4070.myubam.com

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2016 :  05:51:13 AM  Show Profile
OK, I just applied for 6 badges!!

I have a couple almost done already, Safe toys beginner and intermediate, crochet intermediate and expert I just need to take pictures of. Pets beginner will be done when I look at our food (which I'm pretty sure is fine since I intentionally buy grain free!).

I would love to do the going green but I just haven't found a way to switch from tide laundry detergent! Anything else just leaves our clothes smelling musty. I've made our own and it just didn't work well enough. We have crazy hard water.

I'm thinking about doing a bag swap where we learn to make bags out of old t-shirts to get the expert level shopping green.

Others I'm going to work on soon (soon meaning in the next year probably):
Farmgirl gratitude
Farmgirl spirit (maybe-I have started a chapter here but none of my ladies have joined the sisterhood that I know of so I can get the Chapter leader badge :( )
Families Forever (we already do most of this!)
Entrepreneurial spirit-do you think my plans to make my blog bring in income counts????
Farmgirl shutterbugs-I just need to take the pics for beginner level!
I should have been in the movies (basically already going to do this for my blog!)
Farmgirl grammar
Languages and culture (I'm almost done with this-living in Germany helps!!!)
Farmgirl Jubilee??? Maybe I'll manage to have a party this year lol
There are several in the Farm Kitchen section I may do that wouldn't be too far out of our normal....
Get it together is going to happen because I'm cleaning out the whole house anyway!!
Unprocessed kitchen needs to happen!
Icing on the cake so I can make my kids better cakes!
Recipes-to make books for the kids hope chests
Cheesemaking and breadmaking maybe I've done some of the things on here before....
Beginner level of What's your beef.....I can't really do the rest until we get back to the states
Herbs
Let's get physical-I have exercise goals for the year so this will fit right in! Not sure about the expert level though....would teaching hula hoop classes count???
Music-I know how to play the Violin but want to learn the guitar!
Relaxation (necessary with all the above to do LOL)
Sew wonderful
Aprons (if I make aprons out of old jeans does that count for Nelly Make-do as well???)
Homespun Christmas-Beginner and Intermediate this coming Christmas....
Buttoned up
Nelly Made do (something with old jeans, a rag rug, a denim quilt, and a quit from my husbands various army uniforms....well this on may need to wait until he is finished!!)
Ink slinger

WOW that is a lot! Not sure I narrowed it down enough!! I tend to jump from project to project those, this won't happen in a linear way! I think like Shannon I'll be happy if I finish one a month!

NOW I just need ideas on how to display the badges I've earned. I see we get jewelry templates that looks interesting.....How do y'all display yours???

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

Norwex www.sabrinascheerer.norwex.biz
Usborne Books and More! https://j4070.myubam.com

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2016 :  06:11:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sabrina, been awhile since we chatted. You have compiled quite a list and I know you will work your way through it. Enjoy the time you spend doing it.

I'm in the mist of several un-finished badges and some all I have to do is write them up and submit. Badges seem to end up on the bottom of my To-Do list.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2016 :  07:32:20 AM  Show Profile
Krista - I will definitely be working on the crochet badge with you... Is there a separate post somewhere about that? Sabrina will actually be posting videos (soon?) teaching crochet technique! I really need to get started on my January dishcloth, lol.

Sabrina - I'm confused... why can't you do the bread badge gluten free? I'm trying to remember if you are also corn free. I'm sure between the two of us, we can come up with bread recipes using different flours and baking powder or soda. You also mentioned sourdough... you can make gluten free sourdough. I've often heard of it being done with brown rice flour. If I am not mistaken, you guys are gluten intolerant opposed to celiacs, right? We have found that we can use einkorn flour which is technically wheat, is a much less modified wheat, with only 14 chromosomes, opposed to what we usually have as what with 42 chromosomes! I first bought some ground flour, made a little bit of paste out of it, and put some on each of the children under a bandaid on the inside of their wrists (a super sensitive area) to test for a skin reaction (my kids flare up bad with regular wheat on the skin, though the skin prick allergy test shows nothing!). After not getting a reaction, we tried one meal with einkorn flour... I even bought aluminum disposable pans to use for the muffins... no reaction... we continue to use einkorn flour now, though I do grind my own and soak it first to help with digestion. Here soon I will be making sourdough with it as well.

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Merit Badge Chit Chat:  Just a bit of merit badge chit chat Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page