Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Andrea
Moscow ID
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2016 :  2:15:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi all

Is it possible to post more than one picture with the merit application? I wanted to send more than one picture of my weekend watercolor work, but only one would load. I can certainly post them in this forum instead if that is easier.

-- Andrea #7230

I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. - Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

Brian
Honorary Farmgirl

521 Posts

Brian
Moscow ID
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2016 :  3:11:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Andrea,

You can absolutely email extra pictures to meritbadges@maryjanesfarm.org

When you do this, be sure to send each email per badge rather than 15 images that are for 3 different badge applications. Also, let us know which badge the pictures correspond with.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

710 Posts

Jill
Saanichton British Columbia
Canada
710 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2017 :  9:30:45 PM  Show Profile
This is my cardigan that I finished for my beginners's UFO's badge. It also was the project for my expert knitting badge. I'm really pleased with how it turned out and am planning on finishing up a few more of my UFO's before starting on new projects for 2017.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748
Go to Top of Page

KnyttWytch
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Hilary
Cambridge Cambridgeshire
United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2017 :  04:00:34 AM  Show Profile
Wow Jillyd just WOW!

Disabled knitter and stitcher (lover of real food!)
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

710 Posts

Jill
Canada
710 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2017 :  10:19:34 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Hilary. It's such a good feeling to have finished a big project.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13567 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13567 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2017 :  2:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Beautiful Jill!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

710 Posts

Jill
Canada
710 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2017 :  3:31:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks CJ. The color doesn't really show up right in this photo, it's really a rich forest green.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2017 :  5:00:16 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Everyone has been so busy working on their merit badges! Congratulations!

Jill, your cardigan looks fabulous! That's a good way to knock out 2 badges at once.

Have any of you checked out the new merit badges for 2017?! I must say I am super excited for the Mindfulness Meditation! It sounds like a fun badge to help me regain some peace and sanity with my crazy life! The other badge that sounds fun is the Mosaics badge. I remember making a mosaic jewelry box when I was younger and still use it to this day, so I would enjoy making more mosaic projects. The other new badges include: The Good, Bad, and Ugly...Bugs, Canning, Calligraphy, and Emergency Preparedness. Are any of you planning on working on any of these new badges? Which ones interest you most? Anyone planning to work on the Mindfulness Meditation or Mosaics badges?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

KnyttWytch
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Hilary
Cambridge Cambridgeshire
United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  04:45:10 AM  Show Profile
Oooh haven't had a look at the new badges! Thank you for the heads up :D

Disabled knitter and stitcher (lover of real food!)
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

710 Posts

Jill
Canada
710 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  10:33:06 AM  Show Profile
I'm planning on do the Meditation one. I want to become more regular with my meditations. The others that I want to work on are expert cross stitch, spinning and embroidery.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  11:56:49 AM  Show Profile
Definitely check them out, Hilary!

Jill, have you done meditation before? What do you think about it? Would you be working on expert spinning and expert embroidery as well? Or is it just expert cross stitch?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13567 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13567 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  11:57:31 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I'm going for the Medication and Canning and probably the beginning Bugs one, however I think, first up, is the intermediate Furniture Makeover badge. We'll see how it goes!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

710 Posts

Jill
Canada
710 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  3:35:28 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I do meditate, just not as often as I would like to. I often do guided meditations, and I love it. I am a spinner already, but I will be starting with the beginner level. The only embroidery I've done is cross stitch, so I'm looking forward to learning something new. I should take a look at the canning one too.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748
Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  04:32:33 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
I would like to earn the Know Your Roots badge. The problem is I have been an orphan since the age of 5. I don't know any of my family. I recently did a DNA test with Ancestry.com. Started looking up my roots with what little information I know. Would that work for the beginner and maybe intermediate badge. I don't have any recent info on putting together a family reunion and don't know how to go about completing that level of the badge. Any suggestions on how to complete the badge would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Becky

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.
Farm Girl of the Month December 2016

Edited by - Ladybek9756 on Jan 05 2017 04:32:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13567 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13567 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  07:44:35 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Becky,
I suggest you email Brian at the farm and ask him . . . he's very helpful! He can give you the guidance you need!
His email i: brianogel@maryjanesfarm.org
CJ

Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

710 Posts

Jill
Canada
710 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  09:53:09 AM  Show Profile
I can send anyone interested a link to a free online meditation "event" with Deepak Chopra - January 11th, three time choices.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  12:50:06 PM  Show Profile
I like how so many are interested in the Meditation Badge! You all can help keep me on track!

CJ, do you know what furniture you will be making over?

Jill, it sounds like you have many talents. I can't wait to see all your projects for your badges. Also, I wish I could use your link but right now I never know when I can jump online until the baby has a set nap schedule. Are you going to attend the event?

Becky, I hope Brian can be of some help for you. I'm curious. What did you find out from your DNA test? If you feel like sharing.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

710 Posts

Jill
Canada
710 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  12:55:40 PM  Show Profile
Krista, I have registered for the meditation event. There are lots of online meditation resources out there, that you can access any old time. Good luck.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  8:22:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rebecca,

We actually had someone ask something similar about this badge before. We think your beginner/intermediate options are fine. Just do the best you can with the information you have. For the reunion part, we received this idea a while ago:

The expert level requires hosting a family reunion. My sister, and fellow farmgirl, pointed out that a couple members of our group were victims of domestic violence before liberating themselves from the situation. Our own parents met at a shelter escaping domestic abuse. They avoid keeping in contact with their families because those same family members let the abusers know where they were hiding (and who harass them to this day). We all agreed that no one should be put in danger for a badge. Several suggestions have been made to replace this option with something like adopting a grandparent or having a "Colonial Reunion" (a stand-in reunion during Colonial times when relatives were overseas and could not join in family festivities).

What if you were to adopt a grandparent (which you could then use for the Greatest Generation badge)? Or any other ideas you might have. We're all ears!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  11:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
MaryJane,
I think that adopting a grandparent would work for me. The new area that I have moved into has many elder who could use an adopted family and it would give me the opportunity to build a family for myself after all these years. Thank you for the ideas and come spring I will look into the opportunity of working on the expert portion of that badge.
Becky

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.
Farm Girl of the Month December 2016
Go to Top of Page

Pixiedustdevil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Temperate Rainforest Oregon
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  04:32:42 AM  Show Profile
Haven't been here for a while! Ever since canning, holidays, and being sick I haven't had time to be on here, or really focus on my badges. Any badges I have gotten were earned because I was already doing the work. But hopefully I'll get time to earn the 'Emergency Preparedness' badge. I just need to rotate some of my supplies in my 72 hour bag, organize it, and buy a couple more things to add to it.

Becky,
Maybe if you don't have family for a family reunion; you could help a friend plan and organize theirs? I know I couldn't really host or attend one, as one half of my relatives are not good people, who I'm sort of hiding from. I have to be careful of who I give my address to still.

----------------------
Sisterhood #6941

Jack of all trades, master of none,
though oftentimes better than master of one.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13567 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13567 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  08:36:04 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I think "adopting" elders is a great idea for all of us to do,just for the sake of friendship and support, if nothing else.
Wishing you the best Becky!

And, CONGRATULATIONS, Cyrie on being selected as Farmgirl Sister of the Year! It truly is an honor!
I know it certainly was for me in 2010.
CJ

Go to Top of Page

MarieBee54
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Marie
Portland OR
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  09:32:53 AM  Show Profile
In the last couple of days, I've completed applications for my beginning and intermediate emergency preparedness, my beginner for apron (made matching aprons for me and my little granddaughter, so cute!), and beginner for cheesemaking.

Everything turned out pretty well but I wasn't completely happy with the flavor in my blueberry yogurt. I tried a recipe that came with my yogurt maker. It called for 1/2 cup blueberries, 3-4 T of sugar, and water, then boiling it down to a thick syrup before stirring it into the yogurt. The blueberry flavor was barely there. For the next batch, I added a whole cup of blueberries and a little more sugar. It helped, but not enough. Anybody have any ideas on how I can make it better?

"Stepping back, you see there had been a design all along, and a designer."
www.mariebostwick.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  09:44:21 AM  Show Profile
When we make our yogurt, we always make plain at first, but then add the flavorings, along with fresh fruit, afterwards. Might that be an option?

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13567 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13567 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  10:35:16 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Marie,
I do the same as Shannon. I make crockpot yogurt, plain and then add whatever I want to whenever I decide to use it.
CJ

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Merit Badge Chit Chat:  Just a bit of merit badge chit chat Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page