imascholar2
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

SuZan
Huntsville UT
USA
14 Posts

Posted - May 20 2016 :  12:04:50 PM  Show Profile
Absolutely LOVE your Merit Badges. A banner is an excellent idea for displaying them.

Remember to ENJOY the journey!!!

Edited by - imascholar2 on May 20 2016 4:47:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pixiedustdevil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Temperate Rainforest Oregon
USA
68 Posts

Posted - May 20 2016 :  2:25:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for that!

Your display is cute and creative! I've been embroidering my badges onto a large piece of muslin. Maybe I'll make a wall quilt out of them?

----------------------
Sisterhood #6941

Jack of all trades, master of none,
though oftentimes better than master of one.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - May 20 2016 :  3:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
My thoughts are to make a wall quilt using all my hexagon badges. They are already backed and could be sewn on quickly, but I've haven't really decided yet!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - May 20 2016 :  7:46:19 PM  Show Profile
CJ, I just noticed your Premium cracker container. I have the exact same one and absolutely love storing my crackers in it. They seem to last forever.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - May 22 2016 :  2:41:33 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Krista,
I don't store crackers in mine. I had to look to see what I did have in it, as I couldn't actually remember. A quart jar with a variety of little bags of different sands from different beaches! :D
CJ

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - May 23 2016 :  1:24:19 PM  Show Profile
That works too! It's really a good container for anything!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

NAGarcia
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Natalie
Gresham OR
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2016 :  06:20:01 AM  Show Profile
I've put in for my very first merit badge, namely the Beginner level of Shopping Green (Cleaning Up). I already had reusable grocery bags that I remember to take shopping about 95% of the time, so I found a tutorial for reusable produce bags here - http://www.doradaily.com/my-blog/2015/06/diy-produce-bags.html. Now I can ditch using those lame plastic bags at the grocery, which are used for 20 minutes and thrown out. Here's a pic of how they came out!!!

Natalie

Farmgirl Sister #7004 May 2016
^*^ We are the weirdos, mister. ^*^
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2016 :  10:23:28 AM  Show Profile
Nice Natalie! That is a great idea and they look good! Congratulations!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

NAGarcia
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Natalie
Gresham OR
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2016 :  10:53:43 AM  Show Profile
Thanks.

Natalie

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2016 :  10:16:38 AM  Show Profile
How is everyone's merit badges coming along? What is everyone working on?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2016 :  1:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Krista,
My merit badge work is at a "lull" right now, with the exception of growing the root veggies in the garden that are needed for the expert "Rootin'Tootin'" level . . . it's up to the garden, sun and water now!
I've been very busy with garden and yard work, plus trying to keep the weeds taken care of and my daughter and I are getting ready to take off for a week-long glamping trip, leaving this coming Tuesday!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Jgoldy920
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Jenny
Cromwell Minnesota
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2016 :  7:20:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone, I'm working on the level 1 Carp-HEN-try merit badge. I've remodeled my master bathroom. I'm awaiting the arrival of my book to read to finish up the requirements. I'll try to post pics here this week of the bathroom update. I painted the walls, the cabinets and installed new light fixtures.

Jenny Noelle, Farmgirl #7015
Sew loving rural Minnesota!
Go to Top of Page

BellaSticks
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Nicole
Chicago Illinois
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2016 :  1:41:53 PM  Show Profile
I've been at a stand still myself with the move. I don't know where most of my things are, so I'll have to switch gears to some new badges. Like CJ I've been in the garden more now that I'm living somewhere with a yard. I should look at some of those badges and get to work!

Nicole
Farmgirl #6762
Go to Top of Page

Pixiedustdevil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2016 :  3:35:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm finding myself super busy right now. I've been picking lettuce and giving it to my friends, and that's just 1/3 of it. I need to pick the rest tonight. I'm planning to give it to either the food bank or meals-on-wheels.

I'm going to try and complete my 'Speak for the Trees' level 3 badge soon. But I just need time to submit for my 'Greatest Generation' level 3, Rootin' Tootin' level 2, 'Get Organized' level 1, and 'In the Garden' level 2.

----------------------
Sisterhood #6941

Go to Top of Page

NAGarcia
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Natalie
Gresham OR
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2016 :  12:04:54 PM  Show Profile
I spent today working on my Each Other/Community Action badge. My city doesn't allow keeping backyard chickens - even though most of the surrounding cities do. It's lame. So I did some research into it today and have plans to join a local group that is pushing for the zoning laws to be changed. They have semi-monthly meetings near me, but my husband usually works Saturdays, which leaves me no way to get there. They have also booked a booth at the local farmer's market for the summer and I intend to go and help out.

The laws here are weird - no chickens, but I could keep one cow.

Natalie

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2016 :  12:09:50 PM  Show Profile
CJ- I bet your veggies are doing great! Have fun on your glamping trip with your daughter! I hope it turns out wonderful!

Jenny- how wonderful! I would love to see pictures of your master bathroom! Did you have fun remodeling?

Nicole- that happens! You will get organized again!

Pixiedustdevil- your garden looks beautiful! You are so sweet to give your food away to those in need. Wow, you are on a roll with your badges! Way to go!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2016 :  12:42:28 PM  Show Profile
Natalie - I applaud anyone how advocates for change. I would suggest looking into getting a ride from another member of the group or riding a bike to get there. Try to think of creative transportation options for getting places under one's own power. Maybe that could be a new badge -- Alternative Transportation or People Power Transport.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

NAGarcia
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Natalie
Gresham OR
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2016 :  3:13:41 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm new to the group and don't know anyone personally who belongs. After this first time, you can bet I'll be approaching someone to carpool. Sadly, I don't own a bike. I would like one, but I need to work on my health first. If I tried to ride one right now I would quite possibly die in the street. :-)

I like the badge idea.

Natalie

Go to Top of Page

imascholar2
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

SuZan
Huntsville UT
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2016 :  3:18:28 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad to find this thread. I love earning merit badges and hearing/seeing what others are doing.

I am working on several merit badges:

Beginner Shopping Green (Natalie - I love your bags)
Intermediate Backyard Farmer (PixieDustDevil - do you know if you can use lettuce after it comes to seed on the top?)
Intermediate Crochet
Expert Cross Stitch
Intermediate Knitting
Beginner Quilting

Here is the Beginning Crochet project I made.

Here is the Intermediate project I am working on now (this is what it will look like, I HOPE, when finished : )

My garden is going quite well thanks to all the rain this year (Utah). This year we planted lettuce, peas, corn, tomatoes, squash, beets, potatoes, watermelon, cantaloupe. Still hoping to plant some onions and peppers.

Do you know if there is some kind of gallery for photos in this forum? It would really be nice if there were. Then we could see all the photos posted by each sister. It would be inspiring.

SuZan, Sister #4394
Remember to Enjoy the Journey!!!

Edited by - imascholar2 on Jun 13 2016 3:19:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pixiedustdevil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2016 :  5:10:27 PM  Show Profile
Normally lettuce becomes bitter once it bolts (flowers). Taste a leaf, if it's still good you can still eat it. If it's bad; you can pull it up and replant or collect the seeds, and work on your 'Heirlooms Forever' badge.

I think there is a forum called Shutterbugs, which will be all about earning and sharing pictures from the 'Shutterbugs' merit badge.

----------------------
Sisterhood #6941

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2016 :  10:24:58 AM  Show Profile
Natalie- I hope you can get the backyard chickens approved. I bet there are many people in Ogden wanting to have some chickens again. I was not aware that a cow was allowed but no chickens. That seems so silly.

Suzan- Your crochet projects are fabulous! I am really drawn to your Beginner Crochet project. Your garden is looking good. I can agree with the rain. A few of my plants grew like crazy from all that rain. There is a Shutterbugs Merit badge topic that shows off pictures, but as far as I'm aware there isn't a gallery of all pictures posted on the forum.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

NAGarcia
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Natalie
Gresham OR
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2016 :  1:36:23 PM  Show Profile
It's thoroughly lame. Many of the other nearby towns - as I'm sure you're aware - allow a small number of chickens, with caveats like no roosters or a certain distance from dwellings. The fact that Ogden city proper does not? Frustrating.

Kinda makes me want to get a cow, just cuz I can. :-) Not sure my landlord would approve.

Natalie

Go to Top of Page

imascholar2
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

SuZan
Huntsville UT
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2016 :  3:30:19 PM  Show Profile
Natalie,

I am so excited to find out you are in Ogden. I am in Huntsville about 20 minutes east of you. I have been trying to find other sisters in Northern Utah. Do you know if there is a group/Henhouse that meets? If not, I would like to start one. I have been working on a webpage for a group but sadly I am the only member.

I am surprised you can't have chickens. I know that Layton had their ordinance changed and now allow chickens but not a rooster.

I have chickens and LOVE them. Sadly a raccoon killed 7/9. It has taken several weeks for the two to start laying again. In the mean time I raised 7 chicks and hope they will start laying within the month.

SuZan
Sister #4354

Edited by - imascholar2 on Jun 14 2016 3:31:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

imascholar2
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

SuZan
Huntsville UT
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2016 :  3:40:55 PM  Show Profile
Krista,

I had a lot of fun making my snowflake afghan. However I have found an even MORE exciting pattern. It is called Blizzard Warning at makeitcrocher.com. and it is fabulous. I think I will make it this coming winter.

Are you in Northern Utah? Are you in a group/hen house? If not, would you like to be? I have been approved to start one but alas have never found anyone close by to be a member.

I have contacted Brian at MJF and asked if it would be possible to have a gallery. It would be so amazing to see a galley of photos for each sister and also be able to see photos based on merit badge.

SuZan
Sister #4393

Edited by - imascholar2 on Jun 14 2016 3:43:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

NAGarcia
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Natalie
Gresham OR
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2016 :  04:19:53 AM  Show Profile
SuZan - bummer about your chickens!

Natalie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Merit Badge Chit Chat:  Just a bit of merit badge chit chat Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page