Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  09:50:40 AM  Show Profile
Yes Denise, Unfortunately I live in Germany so I don't get good sales like that :). I'm stuck with what I can order online. Joann's will ship to me but it takes 6-8 weeks to get it and their shipping is high. Hobby lobby shipping for APO addresses just went up so now it is too expensive to order from there. I try to stick with Fabric.com to get the free shipping. :)

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  10:56:32 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Krista,
CUTE, CUTE hat! Way to go!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  4:37:01 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, CJ and Denise.

Marie, it's terrible! I keep seeing things I want to make or I think of things I want to design. The list gets longer and I have no clue where the time is to make it all. I need more hours in the day!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  6:27:51 PM  Show Profile
I know all about this. I have hundreds, no, thousands of patterns I want to make. Everyone wants me to make them something. I cannot make stuff fast enough. Keep a notebook of ideas and pictures of stuff you want to do. It really helps.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  7:18:26 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina, I forgot you were in Germany. Shipping is outrageous for overseas I'm sure. I will have to checkout fabric.com sometime. I sure hope you can find what you need.
Marie, that is a great idea. I have so many patterns if only I had the time and space to work on some of the sewing things.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2016 :  11:55:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh good idea, Marie! I am not fast either but feel so relaxed while crocheting and then excited and proud once I finish a project.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2016 :  12:36:24 PM  Show Profile
I have finished the hat! Now on the baby booties and the set is complete! I am getting so excited to see it all together.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2016 :  2:56:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh Krista that little hat is too cute! Can't wait to see the booties.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2016 :  5:12:27 PM  Show Profile
Krista, your crochet has really come along. Those stitches are very nice.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2016 :  06:14:14 AM  Show Profile
Krista-great job!!!

Denise-we have an APO address so it costs the same for people to ship to us as it would to ship in the states (it still goes through the US mail system). Some companies charge the same (fabric.com still gives us the free shipping) and some price gouge. In the past Hobby Lobby has reasonable shipping but they seem to have recently raised it for APO and it is TWICE as much as shipping within the US. Which I think is really crappy of them personally.

Haven't had time to look at or work on any badges lately :(

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2016 :  07:03:18 AM  Show Profile
Krista - your hat is adorable!!!!! I have managed to get a washcloth crocheted, but that is it. I haven't had time to work on anything else, or even look at the badge requirements.

Sabrina - why in the world are they charging more for APO addresses? That makes no sense!!!! Postage is suppose to be the same, with just a custom form added. Though I guess it does usually cost more to ship to Hawaii or Alaska. i have a feeling they will be losing quite a bit of business! I am finding that a lot of places that use to offer military discounts aren't any more :( EarthFare use to offer a 10% discount to military everyday of the week. Now it is only on Thursdays and has been reduced to 5% :(

What is everyone else working on? Next week my kids have "off" from school, so I am hoping to figure out things then!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2016 :  12:17:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone!
Thank you Marie! I think my stitches look at lot better then when I started. I'm glad I have had so many wonderful tips from you guys.
Shannon, I can't wait to see your crochet and I bet your washcloth is fabulous. It's completely understandable that a washcloth is all you have done. You have had a lot on your plate. That break off from school with be a big help.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2016 :  11:41:29 AM  Show Profile
I have now started the baby booties!

How is everyone else doing? What are you working on? Any new badges?

Krista

Edited by - MaryJanesNiece on Mar 18 2016 11:42:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

BellaSticks
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Nicole
Chicago Illinois
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  07:53:44 AM  Show Profile
I have been observing others' projects on here for a while and am excited to participate more. There have been several changes for me in the past month and I find myself living in Chicago by myself for a few months. My wife got an amazing job opportunity 150 miles away and I'm waiting until my job will let me work from home full time. So far I've earned my beginning embroidery badge and I just submitted for my herbs badge! I'm also starting on my Let's Get Physical and Relaxation badges. All good changes to help me cope with loneliness.

Nicole
Farmgirl #6762
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  11:34:58 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Nicole! I'm glad you will be joining us. Working on merit badges will be a great way to pass the time when you are by yourself. Congratulations on your Herbs and Embroidery Badges and good luck with your Let's Get Physical and Relaxation Badges. Keep us posted on how they are going!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

disTizmoi
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Suzy
Bentonville VA
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2016 :  05:38:20 AM  Show Profile
Hi! I have decided to start with my Knitting badge(s) (Stitching and Crafting). My mother passed away two days after Christmas last year (3 months ago). She used to crocheted baby afghans. It seemed like she was always working on one. My 9th grandchild is due in July 2016. So, I've had to step up to the plate and learn how to make baby afghans. Needless to say, I would prefer that my mom was here to do it! Not 'cause I'm lazy but because she should be here.

My Grandmother tried to teach me how to knit many, many years ago. I should have paid attention! But, because of that, I chose Knitting since I kinda have a head start.

After that:
2) Farmgirl Gratitude (Each Other)
3) Sew Wonderful (Stitching and Crafting)
4) Aprons (Stitching and Crafting)
5) The Secret Life of Bees (Garden Gate)

thanks! And Good Luck and have fun!

It is ME...Suzy!
Farmgirl #6922

"Oh my goodness...go play outside!" said her Mom
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2016 :  06:26:42 AM  Show Profile
Krista - you are doing so wonderful! I haven't gotten past my dishcloth/hot pad! Is there any way you can send me your pattern for the hat and diaper cover? My niece is due with her first baby in July and is going with a panda theme... I'd like to make her a set along that theme o.O

Nicole - sorry to hear you are lonely, but what a great time to start a craft! I have a friend who's hubby was deployed for over a year... every week she worked on a DIY project for the house to help past the time! Her poor hubby didn't recognize their home when he got back, but it kept her busy!!!

Suzy - so sorry to hear about your mom :( Many many (((hugs))) I love that you are embracing both your mom's tradition of baby afghans and your grandmother's tradition of knitting to create your own! Congrats on the upcoming birth of your grand baby as well. Sounds like you have great plans for your badges :)

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KristiW
Moderator/Farmgirl True

639 Posts

Kristine
MaryJanesFarm
USA
639 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2016 :  09:59:10 AM  Show Profile
Good luck Suzy. I too tried knitting many moons ago and did not fair well. But I've been thinking about trying again...

Kristi
Farmgirl Sister #6

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2016 :  3:29:55 PM  Show Profile
Suzy, those sound like some wonderful badges to start working on!! I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I hope your knitting badge can help you connect with her. Congrats on your soon to be here grand baby.

Thank you Shannon. Yes I sure can! I'll hunt down the book and get the pattern sent to you! A panda would be so cute. I want to see!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2016 :  12:38:25 PM  Show Profile
Well I completed my first baby bootie and I'm not happy. I somehow messed up and ended up with a very large opening. There is no way I can get this to correctly fit my boy. My guess is that I messed up because of the color yarn I have been using. Black is extremely difficult to see details with and could have easily skipped a stitch or added an extra. I'm going to start again with a different color and maybe an easier design as well.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

BellaSticks
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Nicole
Chicago Illinois
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  05:36:29 AM  Show Profile
Krista - Your crochet stitches look so great! I know the frustration of having a project not turn out how you'd expected. I can't wait to see what color you choose.

Suzy - Those do sounds like good badges, I'm excited to see how they turn out. Congratulations on your 9th grandchild! Such an exciting time for everyone :)

There's been a lot going on in my life the past week or two and I've gotten away from working on my badges. Today I decided to buckle down on my Let's Get Physical badge and am committing to doing 20 minutes of yoga a day for 30 consecutive days. Day 1 crossed off the list!

Nicole
Farmgirl #6762
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  05:43:42 AM  Show Profile
Krista, you have to work with a thing called gauge. In other words, each pattern tells you what size crochet needle and yarn thickness to use for a specific number of stitches per inch. What happened here is that your yarn is too thick and so the sizing is completely off. Since each person has a certain tension they naturally place on yarn, you have to work with the pattern gauge to make sure you are getting the right number of stitches. For example, I tend to have a lot of tension on the yarn so I often have to use a smaller hook or knitting needle to get the right gauge. Once you learn about using the gauge for a pattern, you should get better fitting results. Let me know if I can help you with this further.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  08:31:13 AM  Show Profile
The Lion Brand yarn site has an excellent article on gauge. This is so important to determine if you are going to wear your project. Remember that you are creating your pattern pieces so sizing is very important. Black is a very difficult color to work with for the reason that the shadows you need to see the different stitches are swallowed up in the color. If you do work in black, a strong full-spectrum light is needed.

Marie, Sister #5142

Edited by - churunga on Apr 01 2016 08:33:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  5:24:23 PM  Show Profile
Way to go Nicole! Good luck with the yoga.

Thanks ladies. I will look into the gauge information. For this one in particular I think it was the lack in light. I went back and counted my stitches and I had 12 more stiches than I was supposed to. So I must have added an extra stitch to different rows because I struggled seeing what I was doing. (I need to make sure I always count my stitches) I am going to avoid black yarn for a while. His next sent of booties I am going to make with a brown yarn. I am going to start on them this weekend. I’m super excited!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2016 :  04:08:23 AM  Show Profile
Hey everyone, just wanted to say I'm still around-sort of. I've been sick and not even up for being on the computer (now that is SICK!). But I'm getting better. Things are wrapping up for us so it will probably be a busy month then I should have a couple months of a slightly slower pace. Perhaps then I can work on some badges!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Merit Badge Chit Chat:  Just a bit of merit badge chit chat Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page