PrairieIslander
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Steph
Nelson British Columbia
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  7:58:37 PM  Show Profile
Greetings from the Canadian prairie. I wonder if there is anyone who would be interested in doing a book club group? Could be a book choice every month, maybe with a rural or small-town theme or maybe with a different theme each month. Members could take turns choosing a book, and meet online to chat about it and discuss other good reads.
I have a personal weakness for light-hearted British fiction. Stuff like Katie Fforde, Rosamund Pilcher, Jill Mansell, Catherine Alliott, that kind of thing but I am always looking for new authors and books to read.

If there is already a group like this, I would love to know. I would also be happy to help facilitate a group to get it started.
Thanks, and I look forward to a little bookish escapism.

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2015 :  10:55:54 AM  Show Profile
I believe this would be a good activity for the winter. I like writers such as Ruth Rendell, H P Lovecraft, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Kim Stanley Robinson, Neal Stephenson, Ursula LeGuin, Jodi Picoult and Mark Chabon. The genres I like to read are science fiction, fantasy, some mysteries, dramas, some historical fiction and history of science. I also like really scary stuff but that is a guilty pleasure which I do not believe is appropriate to share here. I would recommend to stay away from books with a large amount of religious and partisan political content and that books the books selected have less than 400 pages.

I'm game and willing to read almost anything suggested.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.

Edited by - churunga on Oct 17 2015 10:57:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2015 :  11:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Hi Steph and Marie! Count me in. I would love to be a part of a book club. My interest is reading about the Amish and my favorite author is Wanda Brunstetter. But, I will read just about anything. Can't wait to begin . . . .

Julie
Farmgirl #399
May 2010 Farmgirl of the Month
Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  3:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Anyone else interested?

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog ... Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  6:49:50 PM  Show Profile
I would be interested. I don’t read much anymore but I would like to get back into the swing of it. This would be a good place to start. My favorite types of books are fantasy, action and love stories. I tend to be interested in the newer popular books that have been released but I am willing to read anything. I agree with Marie in keeping them under 400 pages.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

PrairieIslander
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Steph
Nelson British Columbia
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  6:57:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi all! Ok, we've got potentially 4 farm girls interested in doing a book group, which I find is good minimum for discussion. Maybe if I shoot off a little invite in one of the other forums we may get a few others. How shall we pick a book? Maybe have everyone suggest one and then pick one out a hat? Or should we start by telling what we are reading right now? I just finished reading Winter at the Door by Sarah Graves. She was a new author to me, writes mysteries set in the northern woods of Maine. This was a really good read, perfect for this time of year. Anyone else reading anything good?

Steph
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2015 :  08:58:06 AM  Show Profile
My sister just sent me a book which looks interesting. It is Starting Now by Debbie Macomber and it is about a woman who has sacrificed everything for her career and gets fired. She needs to start over and she does so by spending time in a knitting shop. (Love this!) Of course, just as the new life is falling into place . . . oh well. I haven't read it yet and it might be fun to read it together. The paperback I have is slightly over 400 pages however seems as if it is a quick read.

Or we could each pick a book and report on what we have read and whether we will finish the book.

Marie, Sister #5142

Edited by - churunga on Oct 26 2015 08:59:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pokeyfire
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Kerry
Alamogordo New Mexico
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2015 :  1:28:50 PM  Show Profile
I would like to join you in your book adventures.

Pokeyfire
Farmgirl #6712

Rain soothes the soul. Sunshine makes everything right.
Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2015 :  11:36:10 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Please count me in your book club. I mostly love all types of books.
Becky

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2015 :  3:09:30 PM  Show Profile
My vote is to pick from a hat considering that I’m not reading anything at the moment or recently. A few months ago I bought some new books that could go as my vote for the hat draw. This way I would have more of an incentive to read the book!!
Go to Top of Page

PrairieIslander
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Steph
Nelson British Columbia
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2015 :  9:11:27 PM  Show Profile
Sounds good. If we start with maybe a half-dozen titles, we can throw them in a hat and draw one. We could try to pick titles that are available easily from the local library, just to keep it affordable for everyone. I am going to throw in Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen, which is around 300 pages but a fast read, I think. The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club also looks wonderful. So hard to pick just one.

Steph
Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  03:21:51 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
If we are putting a book into the hat, then my choice is "His Fair Lady" by Kathleen Kirkwood. I have not read it yet, but it is about knights in shining armor and a Heiress. Setting is in England.
Becky

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4715 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4715 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  04:41:49 AM  Show Profile
Becky, that sounds like a great book! Hopefully we will get something really enjoyable to read.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  04:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I am willing to read whatever book that gets picked. I usually fall back on my Jodi Picoult, Beverly Lewis, Wanda Brunstetter, or Danielle Steele, so it would be nice to read outside of my usual norm...

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog ... Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  05:08:17 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
So Far it looks like we have ...
Steph
Marie
Julie
Krista
Kerry
Rebecca
Dawn
Cheryl
Judith

Any one else interested?

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Edited by - ClaireSky on Oct 29 2015 04:22:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  08:09:39 AM  Show Profile
I was thinking that maybe we could get the 2016 Reading Challenge List and pick our own books to fulfill the list. The 2015 list had 50 types of books to read such as:

- a book with more than 500 pages
- a book that became a movie
- a book with nonhuman characters
- a book by a female author
- a popular author's first book
- a book at the bottom of your to read list
- a book you were supposed to read in school but didn't

I have been looking for the 2016 list and cannot find it yet. I have the 2015 list so, if we agree, we can start there. I believe this would be a better way because we could then read the books we want to fulfill the list.

What say you?

Marie, Sister #5142

Edited by - churunga on Oct 28 2015 08:11:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  09:00:52 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Another idea of picking books is to let each member host the club (Like picking a book each month to discuss). The hostess then chooses the book the club would read and that way each person has the opportunity of picking a book that would be their favorite (author, genre, etc.) This way the discuss is about the book and we each can give our viewpoints on the book, author, etc.

Just another idea.
Becky

Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  2:30:40 PM  Show Profile
I would be interested...

http://plumkrazy.etsy.com
http://plumkrazyvintage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  3:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Welcome aboard Cheryl!

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  4:01:58 PM  Show Profile
I'm here too, Steph.

Judith

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  7:25:47 PM  Show Profile
The reading challenge list also sounds like a good idea. Would we all put in a vote for one of the categories?

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  7:59:37 PM  Show Profile
My idea originally would be to say which category we were trying to complete and list the book we planned to read for it.

However, I do like the idea of voting on a category and everyone picking their own book for it. Just to let you know, I did read all the books I was assigned in high school and college. <snicker>

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

PrairieIslander
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Steph
Nelson British Columbia
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  8:44:05 PM  Show Profile
The Reading Challenge sounds fun! Here is a link to the pdf of the list:

http://media3.popsugar-assets.com/files/docs/Love%26Sex-Love%26Sex-2015ReadingChallenge-print.pdf

I am not sure how to approach the challenge for FarmGirl book club, though...anyone have thoughts on that?

Steph
Go to Top of Page

PrairieIslander
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Steph
Nelson British Columbia
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  8:45:36 PM  Show Profile
I am honestly not sure why the link has the word "sex" in it twice BUT I double-checked it and I promise it has nothing to do with sex. :)

Steph
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  11:09:37 PM  Show Profile
That is the 2015 Challenge. Maybe the one for 2016 will be out soon. If not, I propose we use this one.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2015 :  04:37:39 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I like Rebecca's idea about having a "host" and then that person decides which book we would be reading. Everyone would get the chance of hosting and then picking the title of their choice. Also, we could all discuss the book instead of giving a "book report" on our own book. If the host so chooses, they can pick their book off of the Reading Challenge List

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Edited by - ClaireSky on Oct 29 2015 04:45:03 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Reading Room: Previous Topic Book Club anyone? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page