MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  10:53:32 PM  Show Profile
It's back to school time, any one else homeschool.

We have been homeschooling now for 4 years. This year I have three that I am teaching. We kind of do a one room school house approach, where LA and Math are separate, and then the other subjects are together.

So far it's been a good start to our homeschool year. Today after "school" we had a great time at the park, met another friend who also homeschools down the street from us.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  12:29:51 AM  Show Profile
We too homeschool... I have 5 of them this year... PreK4, 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 7th. With having a newborn (born last Thursday), not too much schooling gets done right now, lol. But that is the beauty of home schooling :)

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  07:51:50 AM  Show Profile
That IS the beauty of homeschool. And that is awesome! Take this time to bond with your newborn, and heal from birth, and settle in. There's plenty of time for school after this phase of newborn is past.

For me we have 3rd, PreK5 it may lean towards K, not sure exactly playing it by ear, and PreK4.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2015 :  12:36:24 PM  Show Profile
So what kind of curricula are you using? We are pretty eclectic, but seem to be leaning towards a lot of mennonite curricula. And stuff I make up my self.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2015 :  1:11:01 PM  Show Profile
We too are eclectic... We use Math U see for math, Shurley English for english, Apologia for Science, Mystery of History for history, Mennonite and Amish readers for younger grades for reading, All About Spelling, ummm trying to remember what else ;)

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2015 :  3:36:24 PM  Show Profile
That's awesome. I went to the creator of Apologia workshop this year at my local homeschool convention, and I really enjoyed them (I went to two of hers) I learned a LOT at both. Even though I am not using her's yet (we are using Rod and Staff this year, plus a lot of other living books) I really was able to take a lot of ideas home from her workshops and enjoyed them a lot.

We use Rod and Staff and Pathways and such a lot. But, also like some public domain books, and stuff I just pull out on my own, and living books, etc etc. We did start using Draw, Write, Now this year, and all three children love that.

Go to Top of Page

homespunlivin
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2015 :  7:34:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Heather and Shannon,
I am a veteran homeschool momma of 2. I have homeschooled both kids from pre-k all the way through high school and apparently will be doing some college "home school" as well. That is when you can take CLEP and DANTES exams to earn as many credits as you can to cut down on the cost of tuition and then have the college board transfer them to your school of choice. Each college is different though in how many credits and what kind they accept. My first child graduated last May 2014 and my next will graduate 2016. Time sure does fly so enjoy those babies while you can.

"Your braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - Christopher Robin
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2015 :  7:59:15 PM  Show Profile
That's awesome here. We have dual enrollment here, with several colleges that allow the children to homeschool and be in college for free at the same time.

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2015 :  07:38:22 AM  Show Profile
I finished homeschooling 2 years ago. The first year school free was a struggle for me. My identity and activities were centered on being a homeschool mom. Now, I'm finding a new routine and groove and am loving the new type of adult relationships I have with my kids.

Y'all are awesome moms. Your worst day homeschooling is still better than your children being schooled someplace else. They are gaining life skills, life experiences and family bonding.

Have fun!!!

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2015 :  08:20:44 AM  Show Profile
Oh Catherine! I NEEDED that encouragement today!!!!! Struggles about right now, as we work around a sick, colicky baby, sick kiddos, an injured mommy, and Christmas quickly approaching. Thank you!!!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

miles2go
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Jackie
Canterbury CT
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2015 :  05:57:31 AM  Show Profile
Dear Shannon,
I'm praying for you. I've been through that colic business as well. I don't think I handled it very well. I was just kinda waiting for him to grow out of it. I think if you perhaps have an mp3 player with some calming music for yourself while you are comforting baby, that might help you to get through that...
Don't be hard on yourself either. Being a super mom is not being able to do everything yourself or even being able to be perfect, it is just loving your kids with all your heart and doing the best you can do while leaning on God the whole way.
Big farmgirl hugs to you and be comforted.

Jackie

Simplicity & Godly Sincerity, by Grace
Go to Top of Page

DeVaudrey18
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2015 :  1:04:06 PM  Show Profile
This is our 5th year homeschooling and our first year with all 3. It went terrible the first couple and this was our make it or break it year. We use Time4Learning exculsively now, well, with hands on, of course. It has helped the children be so much more successful. I am so thankful too because boy was I feeling like a failure otherwise. Now, while I know it's not for everyone and some might not call it "real" homeschooling, it works for us and that's all that really matters.
Sending love and prayers for you all! It is a high calling and with that comes special strength!

Merry Days!

J'ai valu,vaux et Vaudrai
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2015 :  07:20:23 AM  Show Profile
Jessica, girl, throw that thought of 'real homeschooling' out the window!

20 years ago when I started homeschooling, I tried to do everything others were doing. I made myself and my children miserable. I finally listened to God's sweet encouragement to me that He has made our family in a specific way and that He will give me the wisdom of what our family needs to study and how to study. That is one of the biggest Blessings of homeschooling..... you address the needs of your children.

In our specific situation, I was trying to be so academic focused and tried to make my kids learn Latin and Greek in 2nd grade. While it was working for my friends, it was not working for us. I kept comparing myself to them and feeling like my kids and I had to measure up to some imaginary standard. It was awful. After 'letting go' of the peer pressure (and grandparent/in-law pressure), I approached our schooling with an attitude of studying and doing the things that our family was interested in. We decided to not do any textbook type work for a couple of years. Everything was going to be life and skills focused. I mean, we live on a farm for goodness sake! There's tons of things to do that grow skills and knowledge.

I still required my kids to do some sorts of academic activities. For example, they had to keep a daily journal, write short essays, gather research information, keep a budget, figure costs, profit, loss of their egg sales, etc... They loved writing essays about their horses, researching information about animals they wanted to have, and the budgeting gave them such a sense of accomplishment.

As far as 'real homeschooling'... I swore I'd never use the computer for school, I would steer away from textbooks, I'd never teach 'to the test', etc... For those, of course, were not 'real homeschooling'. I eventually had to let all that silliness go. We eventually did use computer programs. The two years that I cared for my ailing grandmother, not only did we use textbooks, but the self-contained, self-paced packets. And, when they were ready to do dual credit at the college, I taught 'to the test' of the entrance exam.

So, gals, know that God has formed your family in just the fashion the He desires and wants to use for His glory.

Take a deep breath and make memories!!

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2015 :  11:14:30 AM  Show Profile
Well said cajungal! I homeschooled my two and now my two are homeschooling their children. This is their first year with one having a kindergartener and the other with a kindergartener and one in 2nd grade. Rough going at first for the 2nd grader because he had a thought that it was going to be soooo easy! He didn't think he had "schoolwork" because he was not in public school anymore. With him being taken out of public school is another whole story in itself. It is a learning year for sure!

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

DeVaudrey18
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2015 :  1:34:06 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much cajungal! I surely need that encouragement! I know I have a certain precept in my mind, and I am working hard to erase it as I know it isn't good for my children. I never thought I'd be homeschooling when I was younger but I am thankful now that it is an option. It is a day to day that God is getting me through because there are days when I wake up and think "no, I'm not in the mood for that today" and the children will be ready on the start to go. PHEW! Guess that's part of how God works to keep us on track!
Thank you for being a sweet blessing! I am enjoying reading your posts. It helps to know I'm not alone in this business. :)

J'ai valu,vaux et Vaudrai
Go to Top of Page

homespunlivin
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  7:35:59 PM  Show Profile
Amen Catherine. Very well said. Homeschooling is hard work, but oh so worth it. May the Lord continue to provide you all with courage to continue when you want to give up, strength for the times that you are exhausted and can't take another step and wisdom to know when to take the day or week off to renew your spirit. All of you homeschool mommas are awesome, keep up the great work.

"Your braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - Christopher Robin
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  10:10:03 PM  Show Profile
I love that homeschool can be individualized to the family! At times, to the child! I know I need the flexibility of working with the given situation we find ourselves in life! With a hubby in the military, pregnancies, health issues, etc, we need that flexibility!

On a different note, if any of you homeschooling mommas want to get your children into a penpal program, I organize a free one... Go to www.hsamf.org It is for both military and civilian homeschooled children.

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  1:26:16 PM  Show Profile
This is my first year homeschooling gr 4 and gr 7. I had wanted to home school the kids from the beginning but chose to work instead. Historically the kids have balked at traditional school since the beginning, they're both bright but it was always a daily fight to get them to go. I'm a bit frustrated at this point, the first half of the year everything was going wonderfully, assignments on time (we're doing fully aligned - so teacher directed, basically traditional school but at home), since post-Christmas you'd think I was asking the kids to pull their own teeth out with pliers. It has been a daily battle with little school work being done, which is not so good because we have to send said school work in to be graded. There's the real possibility that we'll be repeating gr 4 and 7 next year for sheer lack of turning work in. When they do turn the work in they are getting fairly good grades. I've failed dismally at this and worry that I've ruined the kids. :(

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

guineahen
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Andrea
Hawley Pa
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2016 :  04:24:22 AM  Show Profile
Did you do meth with them? Beat them until they ended up in the hospital? No to both of those, right? You did not ruin your kids! You acted out of love and their best interest. Are you connected with local homeschoolers? Maybe nobody has told you that what you are going through is common. Feels like hitting the wall in Feb/March. You will get past this. I suspect that the curriculum you were given by the school may have too much busy work involved. If it was written for a traditional classroom, it may not be challenging enough for your children. I don't know the laws where you live. Homeschooling is supposed to give you freedom to let the children learn at their own pace, not held back by materials designed to fill the hours that public school has to. The actual "school work" should just take two or three hours a day at their age, maybe even less. This frees them up to explore what they are interested in, fueling a lifelong love of learning. I am not against public school. but I want to encourage homeschoolers. I have five children. Oldest went to public school through fifth, next one through second, third I pulled out of kindergarten. Youngest two never went. All have been continuously employed since early high school. Most have their own businesses besides full time jobs. One graduated from Temple. One is in college now. One is a combat Marine vet. The 22 year old owns his own home, runs a coffee shop, graduated from the Police Academy and local community college and just got hired onto two Police forces. Let me know when you need encouragement. I will walk this with you.
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2016 :  09:10:51 AM  Show Profile
Oh Andrea, you made me laugh, no I don't do meth with them or beat them with sticks. I am connected with local home schoolers as well. I spoke with a facilitator about what's not working this school year and she suggested to go to a full parent directed program and then just adapt from there as they get older depending on what their goals are. Needless to say I feel better that I haven't ruined the kids. Ultimately I'm not going to do any worse than the brick and mortar school.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  10:24:27 AM  Show Profile
Another homeschooling mom here-I have a 10yo, 6yo, 4yo and 1yo. I started looking into homeschooling when my oldest was 2. I don't know how long you want to say I've "been homeschooling" but she never went to a regular school.

We do Classical Conversations, we have used math-u-see for math but we are using Life of Fred and Khan academy for math now. We use Apologia to supplement science and Mystery of History, Story of the World or whatever we find to supplement history. I do phonograms with the younger kids and Explode the Code.

What Amish and Mennonite readers do y'all use? They would probably be better than the silly books we are using for beginning reading.

I probably have more to say but my brain shuts off at 7pm (which it is past here) I'll try to come back later and add more.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2016 :  10:01:03 PM  Show Profile
Here I am again, sorry I didn't check in sooner.

I want to say, yes parent directed learning is a LOT easier then public school at home. Sooo much easier.

I highly suggest Ruth Beechick, John Holt, and Raymond Moore books. For mom! Meanwhile kids will not fall behind any mythical line.. and will be fine while you get your bearings, and just let them be kids. Really they will!

Any way, started our 5th year of homeschooling and it's going awesomely!

Go to Top of Page

RaynaFadden
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Rayna
Atlanta GU
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2017 :  9:16:19 PM  Show Profile
I am done with homeschooling few years back.

Edited by - RaynaFadden on Apr 02 2017 9:17:34 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Homeschooling Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page