Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 September Farmgirl Apple Festival!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic September Farmgirl Apple Festival!! Next Topic
Page: of 11

Dare2BUniquelyMe
Sharpshooter / Chapter Guru

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2015 :  11:37:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
I went to Sequim (sounds like skwim) a couple of weekends ago and got half a box of seconds (less than perfect) of Burgundies. I have canned some applesauce, done some baking, and am currently drying 4 trays of slices.
[URL=http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/Sherrilyn_Askew/media/20151113_0619261_zpsrv1air4c.jpg.html][/URL]
They have a wonderful sweet-tart taste and a firm texture. Both the outside and the inside have the color of their name. These are a mid-to-late season apple.

Yum-yum!

Sherri
Sister #1350
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2015 :  4:36:34 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Nice looking apples, Sherri.

I have 2 dehydrators I got at a local thrift store. I also bought an apple peeler/corer/slicer. Can't wait to use them. I'd like to make apple butter, applesauce, and dried apples.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Nov 13 2015 4:36:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6513 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6513 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  05:56:13 AM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn, what a great find you came upon with the apples!! I have never heard of that variety but it sounds like they are delicious and perfect for putting up for future needs. I love the deep red color of the apple skin. Thanks for sharing!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  4:49:01 PM  Show Profile
What a beautiful Apple. We don't have anything in Minnesota that red except crab apples. I'll bet it makes really pretty applesauce. Our most awesome everything Apple is honey crisp. Just fantastic for eating, cooking, baking nd all. Thanks for the pictures.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  9:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I just got my first MJF Budget Mix - now to try an apple recipe to complete a part of my merit badge for January. LOL! Anyone have a favorite recipe for me to use with apples and the budget mix?

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6786 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6786 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2015 :  04:26:50 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I don't have a recipe for using the Budget Mix, but yesterday on one of PBS cooking shows, they made an apple crisp with bacon and rye whiskey. Gotta try that combo with any old recipe.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2015 :  12:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
Winnie - Expect a package on Thursday from UPS.

I only have one more set of dried apples to make, then I will be done for the season. We love to take all our dried fruit on hiking trips, or crumble the pieces into hot cereal. It's like having a bit of summer all winter long.

Sherri
Sister #1350
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6513 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6513 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  10:50:30 AM  Show Profile
WOW, Did I ever just receive a surprise package from Sherri ( #1350) from out in Washington State!! It was full of apple goodness just for me because I love apples. Sherri's chapter did a bag swap and she had an extra one she made with an apple pocket. So, she stuffed it with fresh local Organic Opal Apples and added a bag of her dried Burgundy apples. Sherri, thank-you, thank-you for such a lovely surprise! Immediately I tasted the dried apples and cut into one of the Opals. Yummy! Delicious and new to me.

Check out my lucky day!!

Isn't that bag adorable? And the Opal apples are fantastic! I've not seen this variety so far in our local grocery stores, so thank-you for the opportunity to try a new kind. The dried apples will be great to snack on and I also love to add them to my homemade oatmeal blend that I make for breakfast. They will add an extra layer of flavor to my morning favorite!

Thanks again so much and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  11:40:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
You are very welcome!!!! That bag was dyed with blackberries too. One of my badge projects. I am so glad you like everything. The Opals are local and I have been waiting for a couple of months for them to ripen and show up in my store. I had been making the grocery folks crazy asking how much longer...lol

I have been worrying about your apples arriving safely and am so glad they traveled well. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Sherri
Sister #1350
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  5:03:35 PM  Show Profile
What a beautiful gift package Sherrilyh.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2015 :  10:50:00 AM  Show Profile
Those of us in the Back Door chapter got to have one of Sherri's bags. I love mine! Each is a treasure.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  3:15:40 PM  Show Profile
So.... I am working on typing up my "stuff" for the apple badge, and realized I never posted two interesting facts.... so here are my facts for you guys :)
- Thomas Jefferson is credited as one of the founding fathers of the fuji apple
- In colonial times, the apple was called melt-in-the-mouth or a winter banana!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6513 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6513 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  08:41:41 AM  Show Profile
Shannon, I have a bit more interesting information to add to your comment above from a book titled The Best Apples to Buy and Grow, regarding the Thomas Jefferson/Fuji apple connection. Thomas Jefferson experimented with apple varieties in his orchards at his Monticello home. Mr. Jefferson received some cuttings from the Mr. Edmund C, Genet who was the French Minister to the US during 1703-1794. Mr. Jefferson followed up by passing some of the cuttings on to his friend Caleb Ralls who preceded to graft them to other trees. My Ralls lived just a county away in Amherst county and was a respected nurseryman of the day. The Ralls Genet variety emerged as a huge favorite in the entire Ohio Valley. Later in 1939, after years of disinterest in the apple, the Japanese breeders crossed the Ralls Genet with the favorite Red Delicious apple and the Fuji apple variety was born. Hence some like to say that Thomas Jefferson was the author of the Declaration of Independence, Father of the University of Virginia and grandfather of the Fuji!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  09:29:35 AM  Show Profile
Very interesting history Shannon and Winnie: Thank you!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  6:17:11 PM  Show Profile
Very interesting!!!!! I am so hungry for an apple now!!!!!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2016 :  10:29:11 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Shannon,
Winter banana apple is one of the varieties that my dad raised in our family orchards. Yummy!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DeniseMGM
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Denise
WI
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2016 :  1:10:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
I'm working on my Apple merit badge too, and there are my two unknown-to-me apple facts:

Apples originated in the Tien Shan Mountains of Kazakhstan.
Cider was so important that is was prominently used as a bartering/form of currency in Colonial times.
Fermented Cider was also normal beverage in Colonial times due to sanitation issues.

Wish I would have known to work on this last fall when apples are abundant in Wisconsin!!

Denise - Farmgirl #1976

www.lionsdaughter.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  2:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
I spent a glorious Saturday planting my 3 new apple trees, 2 cherry trees and a plum tree. Since I was on a roll, I also weeded the flower beds in the backyard, moved several of my herbs into the back beds, planted a handful of bulbs, and moved 4 of my wild roses to under my living-room window. Needless to say I slept like a log that night and could barely lift my arms in the morning. I guess that's what happens when you have spent the winter indoors getting things done and you finally get a nice spring like day to be outdoors. I "funned" myself half-to-death. Hope you all had a great weekend too.

Sherri
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  10:47:23 PM  Show Profile
Now, my favorite alcoholic drink is hard cider. I don't drink it to get a buzz, but because of it's flavor and sparkleness-is this a word? Anyway, I like it. Been trying different brands.....may have to look into brewing some myself. Could be a chapter workshop--any Back Door FGs out there? I said hard cider....Mmnn...they're probably gardening and sewing. Sweet dreams everyone, I'll be dreaming of brewing.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6513 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6513 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2016 :  05:54:36 AM  Show Profile
Sylvia, I love hard apple cider too. There are currently many on the market and I prefer the ones that are not very sweet. The makers of the beer Stella Artois make Cidre which is a delicious light but not too sweet hard cider. It is carried in grocery stores that sell the beer. I also like WoodChuck Amber cider and the one made from granny smith apples. Again, not overly sweet and very light and crisp. If you do try your hand at making hard cider let us know how it turns out.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2016 :  08:24:31 AM  Show Profile
I love the drier not so sweet hard ciders too! We have a CSA farm that makes cider. They bartered for a press. They also sell it pasteurized but don't do it to their batch which they proceed to make hard cider. I'm going to approach them to sell me the unpasteurized gallons so I can start my own cider. Such fun we'll have this fall.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2016 :  09:38:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
When I was in FFA many moons ago, we used to make and sell apple juice/cider from all the apples donated to us from the locals. My folks owned a cider press then (they have since gotten rid of it without my knowing), that used to press the apples. Apple peels are great for removing grease from your hands (real life experience).

Anyway, we would toss a handful of raisins into a couple of the bottles to cause the juice to turn hard (cider). You have to make sure you let the bottle breath or it could explode (another family story of mine...lol).

Sherri
Sister #1350
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2016
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2016 :  12:17:49 PM  Show Profile
We really need to keep an eye on your Mom. Dang, we need a cider press! Seriously!

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2016 :  2:26:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
My entire family has to be closely watched. If they don't have it, chances are that it has crossed their path at some point in the past and been used.

Sherri
Sister #1350
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2016
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6513 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6513 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2016 :  05:23:36 AM  Show Profile
I love hard cider and the ones now made and sold can be delicious. Unlike fresh cider, hard cider is usually made from apples that are not good eating apples but which make the most delightful cider. Not too sweet, bubbly, and oh so refreshing! We can't really grow apples down here in Florida because of the extended heat. But if we did, I would be sure to track down a cider press and make both fresh and hard. You know cider was the beverage of choice during colonial times as the water was often contaminated. At Monticello, Thomas Jefferson has a whole room that was dedicated to storing barrels of cider for everyday use.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic September Farmgirl Apple Festival!! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page