Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 September Farmgirl Apple Festival!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic September Farmgirl Apple Festival!! Next Topic
Page: of 11

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2015 :  09:38:57 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I loved all of the festivities too. And YES, to a big shout of Thank-You to MaryJane for hosting this Apple Festival here at the MJF Chatroom!! It was fun learning from everyone here about apples, apple recipes, apple decorations and apple related activities. September was just a bit sweeter with all of our apple festivities here to enjoy. I hope others, who have not mentioned anything, enjoyed all of the fun as well. As far as I am concerned, having another reason to enjoy homemade apple pie makes for a happy day. Ohh, and those leftovers.......they are just as good for breakfast too!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2015 :  11:27:31 AM  Show Profile
Here are a few photos from our Apple Pie Sunday. For more photos, see our MaryJanesFarm October Sister Issue.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2015 :  12:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Love those pictures, MaryJane!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe
Sharpshooter / Chapter Guru

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2015 :  12:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
Wonderful photos! Wonderful month of apples! Wonderful party! Life is good!

I had leftover BakeOver for lunch with dried apples for my fruit, and apple bread for dessert. The only thing missing was apple cider with whip cream on top.

Have a fabulous day everyone!!!!

Sherri
Sister #1350
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2015 :  3:07:13 PM  Show Profile
All the beautiful pictures and pies!!!! My apple slab pie turned out great. This was so fun. Now we need to do a pumpkin one for October!!!!!

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2015 :  4:31:05 PM  Show Profile
Hay there,

What great fun this festival has been. Thank you, Mz Winnie and Mz MaryJane!!

I had to work cattle on Sunday and, as usual, something always happens and we are never finished when we think we will be. I didn't get to do the recipe I had wanted to do but it is probably a good thing. I would have HAD to eat the whole thing all by myself!!! So I made a few single serve tiny folded pies that I saw on The Chew. They were delish. and I only made a few so I didn't make a pig of myself.

Now to finish studying up on all things APPLE !!!

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2015 :  05:55:32 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane, love the photos of your family gathering for Apple Pie Sunday! Yummy, Asheley outdid herself with those beautiful pies! Picture Perfect and delicious too!!

I am so glad that Farmgirls from coast to coast enjoyed our first Apple Festival culminating with Apple Pie Sunday. I could just "smell" all the great apple foods being cooked and enjoyed all day long. Ahh, there are few things sweeter than the smell of cinnamon and apples baking, except for eating them when they are done!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2015 :  10:42:11 AM  Show Profile
Well today marks the last day of our MJF Apple Festival so I thought I would post a few facts I learned while working on my apple badge.

1. Have you ever heard of Apple Molasses? Apparently, it was very common and useful because sugar was expensive and sometimes not available. They used sweet eating apples which are low in acidity and do not make good cider. They do however, make a sweet juice when pressed. The juice is then boiled, just like sugar cane juice or Maple juice, to form a dark thick syrup. When stored in a crock ,the apple molasses can last indefinitely. Has anyone ever seen this or tasted it? I would love to find some and try it out.

2. Sharing apple grafts between neighbors resulted in America having between 15-20,000 different apple varieties by the Civil War. Most of these heirloom apples have been lost to mechanization of the apple industry starting in the 20th century.

3. Apples were not indigenous to the American area except for a small bitter crab apple what was not edible. One idea of how they arrived comes from the apple trees found on the northern islands off the coast of Maine. Before the 1600s, speculation has it that foreign fishermen would throw their apple cores over the side and they would eventually wash up on shore. Apple trees eventually sprouted up and were present by the time the French were doing early colonization of lower Canada and northern Maine. We have notes from the English settlements of Jamestown, Va. in 1607 and Plimouth, Ma. in 1621 that apple trees were brought over and planted to begin orchards for making cider. Many of the apples died due to differences in climate but others survived to begin the root stock from which more apple varieties were grated and grown.

I have enjoyed working on the Apple Badge and have a few more requirements to complete the beginner and intermediate levels. This Fall , I hope to finish the expert level so that I will be ready to apply for my badge come January. Love that apple badge graphic and can't wait to add it to my others.

Did anyone else work on the badge? If so, did you enjoy it? What kind of things did you learn and do?

Enjoy our last day of the MJF Apple Festival!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  05:15:41 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, you said it well. I haven't started working on the badges yet ~ plan to begin this month.

My FarmGirl Apple Festival garden flag is put away next to the Jubilee garden flag. That corner of my closet is slowly being taken over by MJF. I'm leaving my apron out because I like it's fall colors and will wear it through Thanksgiving.

Between now and next Sept I will keep my eyes open for all things apple.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2015 :  08:24:54 AM  Show Profile
Good morning apple sisters, I just found out that our mascot apple tree is a ... (Winnie, you're going to love this) "Dutchess of Oldenberg." How perfect is that!!!!!? It was identified by Iris Mayes at the University of Idaho. I'll know more about its history shortly. Here's a link that talks about its history a tad, http://www.treesofantiquity.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=41

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2015 :  10:04:00 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
WOW! What a great name for your apple tree, MaryJane. Can't wait to hear more. Love the history link.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2015 :  3:09:05 PM  Show Profile
MaryJane, Wow, what a wonderful name and history of our mascot apple tree! It is a perfect name and bit of history. From reading the book Jubilee Trail, I learned that there were many Russians who lived on the northern parts of the West Coast. It makes sense that they might have been eating apples from home and throwing the cores on the ground, or bringing young trees and planting them in their yards. I am looking forward to hearing more about the history when it is available. So cool!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe
Sharpshooter / Chapter Guru

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2015 :  4:15:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
Love the name of the mascot tree, so apropo. I really like that website too. My new apple trees are coming from there, as well as a couple of cherry trees and plum trees.

I also just found out that the Fall Fruit Festival in Sequim is on October 31. Hopefully I can get my apples identified then.

Sherri
Sister 1350
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2015 :  5:24:06 PM  Show Profile
MaryJane,
I've been back and forth trying to decide which varieties of apples to plant this spring. Your new badge got me going in that direction. I have a Gala, a Jonagold, a Smokehouse, and my wild tree. None produce a ton of fruit but we're getting there. I loved how your mystery tree was growing. My first thought was how beautiful the tree looked and what a gorgeous looking fruit it made. Now that you've identified it, I now know how to settle my issue of what tree to order. Your Duchess of Oldenburg came up as a baking apple. That's what I want. The Duchess will grace my yard next spring. Nothing wrong with good taste, baking apple pies and having a distinctive name.....:)

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  05:17:41 AM  Show Profile
Sylvia, I love that you are going to plant our MJF Apple Pie Sunday mascot tree in your yard too!! That is very exciting. Please post us a photo when you get the little darlin' in the ground at your home! The legacy of our Apple Festival at MJF is taking root (literally) and planning for great apple pies for generations to come. Whoop!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  8:00:00 PM  Show Profile
Sylvia, that is awesome. You just made my day, no my entire week. I was hoping someone would plant one.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  8:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Wouldn't it be nice if all farmgirls who would like to plant an apple tree could get the Duchess of Oldenburg? I have not had luck with fruit trees before on my farm here in Texas, so I checked with the information on the Duchess of Oldenburg apple tree (and apple trees in general) and found they require summer maximum average temperatures of 76-85 degrees. Unfortunately, it is way to hot here in Texas for apple trees.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Edited by - quiltee on Oct 07 2015 8:12:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2015 :  09:30:12 AM  Show Profile
We've cleared space and I can hardly wait for the tree. As I said before, I loved its shape and can hardly wait to eat some of those Duchess apple pies! I will shoot some pictures.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2015 :  4:02:38 PM  Show Profile
Maybe we could plant an apple tree for Jubilee in May. I think the tree might grow in Minnesota but I wonder what the winter cold tolerance is?

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  4:39:05 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday, I was working on my Apple Badge Intermediate Level. Using the MJF Budget Mix, I made an Apple BakeOver and it was delicious!! Since there are just two of us here, I made half of the crust and filling recipe. Here is my res.

The photo shows my piece cut out of the dish, which is a good thing because when a certain someone else came home from a meeting, the rest of the BakeOver disappeared! BakeOvers are so easy to do and very flexible with what you add and how you season them. They are fun to make and WONDERFUL to eat!! If you have not tried her Budget Mix, I highly recommend trying it.

My other project for this badge was to dry some apple slices. On 9/16/15 using a firm and crisp Fuji apple, I made slices which stayed fresh in a bit of lemon juice added to cold water. Then I dried them in a dishtowel and placed them on a baking sheet, covered in parchment paper, in a single layer at 200 degrees for 4 hours. I removed them to cool and now they are stored in a glass jar in my pantry. They taste really good and I like that there are no sulfites on them too. One way I like to use dried apples is in slow cooked oatmeal. It really adds some extra taste too.

Did anyone else make an Apple BakeOver while working on the badge? How did you like your results?

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  7:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I haven't tried the bakeovers yet. I need to do that. It looks delicious, especially with ice cream. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  9:29:01 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jane, that story is so cool. Love it

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2015 :  12:37:25 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I love the whole Farmgirl Apple Festival idea! So many great ideas that the ladies have shared. I can't wait to begin working on the badge. But, first up is an apple apron and an apple pie... or is it the apple pie first.

Julie
Farmgirl #399
May 2010 Farmgirl of the Month

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog ... Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2015 :  12:38:49 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Thanks MaryJane for sharing your wonderful pictures!!

Julie
Farmgirl #399
May 2010 Farmgirl of the Month

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog ... Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2015 :  05:52:14 AM  Show Profile
Julie~ It really doesn't matter which way you start with the apple fun. Both are guaranteed to bring smiles and happiness. Of course, I am partial to eating apples...like everyday 365!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic September Farmgirl Apple Festival!! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page