Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 September Farmgirl Apple Festival!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic September Farmgirl Apple Festival!! Next Topic
Page: of 11

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2016 :  07:11:20 AM  Show Profile
Wow, MaryJane, What a great Apple Adventure on Apple Pie Sunday! I am fascinated with all of your heirloom apples in the farm just doing their own thing. Like that marriage of Apple and pears creating a fantastic product. Those sneaky bees have been at it again. Lol!!! I bet you did get an interesting flavor. Did you know that Perry Ciders , which are hard ciders, are made from mixing pears and apples? It is delicious and just a tad sweet but not overly so. There is a company in Canada that makes it using Michigan organic apples and Canadian pears and somehow we have a store in my town that sells it.

Well, I did manage to find a pub for lunch during our free time yesterday that had apple pie on the menu. It was served with a pitcher of cream , but sadly just wasn't that good. Sigh. But my Apple in my purse was good , so I ended up still being able to celebrate Apple
pie Sunday!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2016 :  08:52:38 AM  Show Profile
I bought my apple festival garden flag in. It's been out since Sept 1st. It'll be good for a third year - maybe more.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2016 :  12:21:49 PM  Show Profile
Sadly I didn't get a chance to make an apple pie yesterday, which I was really looking forward to. Instead we indulged in applesauce to make up for it! I will have to try out an apple pie here shortly and hopefully next year I will be able to participate!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2016 :  5:34:50 PM  Show Profile
I am setting aside time tomorrow to get my Apple pie baking done. Need to make the crusts. I am doing as many as I can for the freezer too.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2016 :  12:21:47 PM  Show Profile
My apple pie was made and consumed quickly! Apple pie is my oldest son's favorite and he declared it "excellent". We had a fun family dinner! I have always loved apples, and learned about new varieties that are available locally.

Vicki
Farmgirl Sister #120
Nature never repeats herself, and the possibilities of one human soul will never be found in another - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2016 :  09:22:08 AM  Show Profile
Vicki, so happy to hear that your apple pie was a hit of your oldest son!! Apples are just so much fun and good for you too. They are my favorite fruit.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2016 :  10:01:13 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
We were on the road for Apple Pie Sunday, but Ed bought me a small apple pie at a fast food stop to celebrate. LOL! It was good, but definitely not as good as homemade. I have apples and am still going to make a fresh pie - one of these days.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2016 :  10:49:46 AM  Show Profile
Linda, Ed is a keeper.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2016 :  05:03:11 AM  Show Profile
AppleS are still in full swing here. Apple pie made for the freezer. Apple crisp for dessert.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2016 :  05:36:39 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Yes, Sara - Ed is a keeper.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2017 :  06:33:08 AM  Show Profile
I missed making a pie on Sunday! But I did make Caramel Apple Cupcakes last night!

Today is Johnny Appleseed day at my son's school and I dropped off 40 cupcakes this morning for his class.

There are bit of apple as well as apple butter in the spice cake cupcake part. Then you pipe a ring of cream cheese frosting on top (it has a bit of apple butter whipped into it too!) and then a dollop of caramel ice cream topping goes in the center.

I tried one - OF COURSE! :) It was rockin'! Would definitely make again!

Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2017 :  06:46:51 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, they look AMAZING!

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2017 :  07:13:13 AM  Show Profile
Save one for me please! They look scrumptious!

Dawn in IL

Life is like a novel, every day is a new page......
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2017 :  10:41:19 AM  Show Profile
Jaime, those cupcakes make my mouth water. They look soooooooo Good!!! YUM!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2017 :  11:38:23 AM  Show Profile
Those cupcakes look delicious! I bet all those kids are enjoying every last bite!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2019 :  03:29:33 AM  Show Profile
Children---I am truly having an apple festival. Our friends at a beautiful subdivision gave us all their apples from old trees on their property. I am freezing and drying and the donkeys and goats are having a ball eating the windfalls. And the farm work goes on and on and on. Waiting for winter---it is play time for me.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2020 :  12:19:00 PM  Show Profile
Went to an apple orchard today for some fall favorites. Butternut squash, acorn squash, pumpkins for my son and of course apples. My favorite are Macoun. They sell big bags of seconds that I like for applesauce. They had 4 bags but there were only 2 different types. I asked someone if they had a bag of mixed seconds. She seemed confused and then I noticed the girl behind her waving her hands and saying something. When she got closer she said I have 2 bags of mixed seconds and I was trying to figure out how I would sell them. Well, I said I will take them both! I was a bit surprised they don't have people asking for mixed seconds. They make the best applesauce!
I remember my grandmother calling the farmer down the road asking if she can pick up apples off the ground. Then came the applesauce marathon! The farmer had known her all her life and since he wouldn't sell apples that fell to the ground he was happy to have her pick them up.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2020 :  08:59:59 AM  Show Profile
Andrea, Your trip to an apple orchard sounds like fun and was a great way to bring home lots of farm goodness to enjoy!

This year's Apple Festival at MJF was a lot of fun again. I always enjoy hearing other Farmgirl stories and experiences. And, isn't it amazing how many recipes are shared for Apple Pie Sunday?? Apple recipes are in abundance everywhere and I never tire of trying new ones either.

Thank-you all for participating this past month for our annual online celebration. Each year is different and each year more and more Farmgirls are contributing to all the fun and information. Personally, I enjoyed the entire month's celebration and my thanks to everyone who participated.

Thanks to Maine Pomologist, John Bunker who created this apple ID chart for one of the festivals he participates in Maine each fall. People love to come and learn the names of the apples they find and eat and also have a chance to
bring their questions and apples for his input.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2654 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2654 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2021 :  7:22:35 PM  Show Profile
I'm a tad late - but wanted to share that we did take a day trip to our beautiful Hood River Fruit Loop a week ago and it was a wowser of a day. Couldn't have been a more beautiful day on it's own merit - but a beautiful day in Hood River is simply breath taking. We visited several farms and orchards, picked 60 lbs of various applies, which my boys LOVED! and picnicked near one of Hood Rivers lavendar farms. I have made apple pie, apple bread, home made apple sauce and still have about 30 lbs of apples to go. I wanted to share some pictures with you all - if you ever get chance to visit the fruit loop, please do so, you will not regret it! Happy Fall from my little corner of the world!!

Our beautiful Mt. Hood!

Me with beautiful farmland behind me!
This was across the road from the lavendar farm that we picnicked at!

Some of our hand picked apples!

One of my apple pies!

A few peeks at the Fruit Loop Brochure to share with you all!

Happy Fall!!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2021 :  08:27:15 AM  Show Profile
April, what gorgeous Farmland behind you and those newly picked apples are beautiful! All those yummy apple treats you made with your apples sounds scrumptious too! What a wonderful outing you had with your boys. Apple Festival happiness was enjoyed by all!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2021 :  04:48:46 AM  Show Profile
April, thanks for sharing and for a look at those gorgeous pictures.
Lots of apple treasures for you to enjoy.

Winnie, where did you find the apple chart. Will have to get on my laptop so I can see it clearer. Would love to fins a chart to print out and hang in my kitchen.
I picked up some Gala apples this week. Nice and crunchy. I prefer my eating apples to be crunchy, once they aren't I have to cook them up.
~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Edited by - levisgrammy on Oct 19 2021 04:50:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2021 :  12:19:05 PM  Show Profile
Denise, this photo came from John Bunker's blog. John is the person who lives in Maine that I visited in 2014 and learned more about his farm where he has cultivated heirloom apple varieties from his area of Maine. He runs an apple CSA every year for locals to get apples from his farm and try out so many different varieties that have been lost. John created this chart because he does a lot of talks at festivals and other places about apples and this chart is helpful to put a picture with the actual fruit so others might be able to identify what they too have in their own yard.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2021 :  2:24:33 PM  Show Profile
Have the last picked apples cooking in the crockpot. At least I hope I can make sauce that way. My kitchen is gutted for a remodel job. The apples are a yellow apple, from our cow pasture. So who knows what kind they are. They are big and beautiful, and sweet. I do have a few apples in my fridge for eating, Fireside and Honey crisp, from our trees.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2654 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2654 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2021 :  4:25:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh Michele, I feel for you on the gutted kitchen, but, the remodel will be worth it!!
I just made a crockpot batch of applesauce last week, first time ever, was soooooo delicious!!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  03:47:41 AM  Show Profile
Crockpot applesauce is so easy. I haven't done mine yet this year. I need to find my canning jars and get started!

Winnie I will look up his blog. Thank you!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic September Farmgirl Apple Festival!! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page