Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  06:06:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls,

There's so many tomato varieties out there. What is your favorite? What is your favorite to grow and why? What is your favorite thing to do with them?

I have to say I love tomatoes. All of them. Right now, I think my favorite are the little orange heirlooms...so many of them. My favorite thing is to wash and eat, popping them in my mouth for a sweet, guilt-free treat. I also like to take any tomato and cut it up in a garbanzo bean salad with feta and white wine vinegar. It's one of my all-time favorite recipes. Oh, and at least once a season I indulge us in Fried Green tomatoes.

Anyone have any issues with their tomato plants this year? In my area there was a lot of verticillium wilt because of the weather conditions.

Let's talk tomatoes!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  4:04:14 PM  Show Profile
In Minnesota, because of our shorter growing season, tomato season is sacred. Any fresh, juicy variety will do. My favorite way to eat them besides right from the garden is marinated in vinegar and oil with onions and cucumbers.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  7:13:12 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you Bonnie---tomato season is sacred. We have bunches of green tomatoes right now---I hope they turn green befor fall and too cold.
I do have a yello cherry tomato in a container on the patio and I can just walk out and pick and eat. YUM

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2015 :  05:30:55 AM  Show Profile
What a great question! My favorite tomatoes for slicing are Black Krim and Purple Cherokee. Tomato season around here varies... This year it has been short due to the excessive heat, so we got an early summer crop. Many of us are hoping for aFall crop, if our poor plants actually survive. The tobacco hornworm is always a problem around here! I have three tomato plants in pots on my patio, here at the rental, and everyday you can pick about seven of those worms off! My favorite things to do with them.... Oh my...... We all love caprese salad, especially when the basil is growing well. I was also dicing up some fresh cucumbers and tomatoes, mixed with some salt, basil, and olive oil for a type of salad.

Here is something you can do with tomato skins that many do not know... You can actually dehydrate tomato skins, and pulverize them, storing them in a jar. Then, when you need tomato paste, mix an equal amount of pulverized skin with water. Works great!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2015 :  09:39:08 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:42:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2015 :  5:03:41 PM  Show Profile
I'm enjoying this topic. Next year we will move from the acreage to possibly a condo in Upper Michigan or maybe a little NE of Detroit on the St. Clair River.

Steph, did you mean the Pink Brandywine is easy to peel when raw? Although it seems like a sacrilege to me, DH needs his tomatoes peeled and seeded.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2015 :  7:21:54 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:42:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2015 :  7:26:46 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Well, I just LOVE homegrown tomatoes . . . period! But we typically raise Early Girl, Fourth of July, Sungold cherry (they are yellow, sweet and such a treat!) and a tasty red cherry tomato. This year we also have Roma . . there are a lot of tomatoes on the vine and I hope they start ripening soon!
What we don't eat we dry to use for cooking later on. After we discovered we like dehydrating them, I decided I was done with canning tomatoes!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Aug 23 2015 7:21:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2015 :  9:12:18 PM  Show Profile
I like the peach tomatoes for taste. My favorite way to fix them is to roast the sun gold cherry tomatoes with olive oil and salt and pepper. My tomatoes have not done well this year I guess from all the rain.I also add canned diced tomatoes to lots of recipes.And yes I buy them at the store.Too much trouble to dice tomatoes myself. Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2015 :  08:29:32 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Steph! I just wrote that variety in my gardening diary to plant next year.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

morganewilson
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Morgan
Knoxville TN
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2015 :  06:46:10 AM  Show Profile
Cherokee purple, Reisentraube, and this year we have some sort of black cherry tomato that is huge plant. Love to pick them off and eat them while I'm watering.

Edited by - morganewilson on Aug 10 2015 06:46:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

auntjenny
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Jenny
San Luis Obispo CA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2015 :  09:59:23 AM  Show Profile  Send auntjenny a Yahoo! Message
Violet jasper has been a big fav of mine. This year wd tried indigo rose. They are pretty and very tasty. I will grow them again for sure. They are a smaller, salad size tomato.

Dream like you have a lifetime ahead of you. Live like you only have today.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2015 :  12:01:41 PM  Show Profile
We are growing several different tomatoes; Roma, Cherry, Big Boy, etc... My favorite is the cherry tomatoes. With the big tomatoes, I blanch them for future tomato sauce.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2015 :  12:32:07 PM  Show Profile
My Favorite Tomatoes to eat and grow are Heirlooms. They just taste incredible and look so beautiful in all
their various shades.
Roma would be my 2nd choice.

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 10 2015 12:32:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2015 :  3:09:54 PM  Show Profile
I love, love, love Black Krim tomatoes, too, Shannon. Though I have to say I am not partial... all fresh tomatoes are a treat. Did you know that even organic ones in the store are ripened using gas? Not the same in taste as those fresh picked off a vine in the sun. A Master Gardener gave me an heirloom plant, Sungold, I think it is called. The tomatoes are a pale orange and so very sweet. I also love the tomatoes from the seeds MaryJane sent me. I am going to try to save seeds the same way this year.

When some of the big ones hanging on the vine are ready, I am going to make baked tomatoes the way my dad used to do when I was little: take a tomato, lop off the top, brush tops with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and parmesan. Bake...yum!

Everyone around here has tomatoes producing late. Anyone else?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2015 :  1:52:42 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried the organic Cherokee Green? I was given a plant from a Master Gardener to try. It has produced amazing sized tomatoes! At first I did not realize they were ready because they stay, well, green. Oh the glorious taste! We are eating them tonight on hamburgers. They are delicious to just slice and eat. That's my new favorite, I think.

Anyone else grow them this year?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2015 :  5:35:03 PM  Show Profile

Roma's with out a doubt.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  4:35:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh Diana, what a beautiful sight! Making sauce?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  5:38:50 PM  Show Profile
Sauce Paste soup whole juice.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2015 :  6:52:42 PM  Show Profile
We planted the Mortgage Lifter tomato again. It's been prolific and the tomatoes taste is sweet. The new tomato we tried this year is the Amish Paste. I love how it grows and the amount of tomatoes we've gotten. The last two years have been exceptional for the Pacific NW. It's been very hot--90º. Totally unusual, so tomatoes are going nuts. Normally, I can't grow large tomatoes. We've had days when my kitchen counter is full of tomatoes and not enough for sauce or anything else to can. I read a lady's description of putting tomatoes in the freezer knowing they're only good for future soups and sauces come winter. She chops them and dumps them in bags that will be vacuumed and sealed. That's what I've been doing. She says it preserves their fresh taste, but the texture changes. Sounds great to me!

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4715 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4715 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2015 :  05:02:39 AM  Show Profile
Your tomatoes look beautiful Diana. I love the green and purple/black varieties the most, though a shiny red one is delicious too! Enjoy your bountiful crops & all the magical things you make with them!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2016 :  10:53:44 AM  Show Profile
Well... I have to say... I took your reviews, Shannon and Nicole, and planted Black Krim this year... OH MY WORD! I don't see any reason to grow any other! These are the best dang tomatoes in the world!!! These are the most beautiful, large tomatoes that are meaty, juicy, sweet, salty, uber flavorful, and they practically melt in your mouth! PERFECTION! We went out and picked a dozen today, and half of them are already gone! LOL! I am not even sure I'm going to share with my neighbors! LOL! Just kidding - we always share! ;)

I also planted a few others: Amish paste (this year they are FANTASTIC!), Purple Cherokee (flowers, no fruit), Brandywine (flowers, no fruit), Mexican Midget Cherry tomatoes (WOW!) and a few others (again, flowers no fruit). I had purchased all our plants from SeedSavers. They had come in pretty sad looking, but within a few days of transplanting everything started growing beautifully. We also had a lot of cherry-type volunteers that have produced an incredible amount of fruit, for which I am extremely greatful. I think the problem we're having this year is the heat... Until it set in, the plants were flourishing; but once the heat came, the nights stayed hot, and I think that really hurt the tomatoes. The plants are still growing and flowering, so I am hoping we'll have more fruit once the heat subsides. Totally worth the wait, I'm sure! I also read that we should probably tug a little bit on the bottom of the plants to disturb the roots and encourage growth. Once it cools off, I might give that a whirl.

ANYHOW - I can't thank you both enough for the recommendation. From now on, I think I'm going to grow only the Black Krim, the Amish Paste and the Mexican Cherry tomatoes. The flavor is superb, they are all extremely versatile, and if they can all survive this miserably weird summer, then they can survive anything! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2016 :  06:16:36 AM  Show Profile
Awesome, Nini!!! My tomatoes have been producing consistently all summer, slow though. Now this week we are getting tons! My black krim are sooooo juicy this year! Oh so good!!!!

My little yellow babies are producing too, as are the cherry varieties...I eat so many before I get the basket in the house, ha ha!!!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2016 :  3:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Sweet Cherry tomatoes, Sun Gold or Sun Sugar cherry tomatoes (they are yellow and SOOOOOOO YUMMY), Early Girl and 4th of July. We eat them fresh as long as we have them and if we have an abundance we dehydrate for winter use. I used to can tomatoes, but once we started dehydrating them I decided I'd not can them any longer. Dried ones take up less space and are more versatile.
CJ

Edited by - ceejay48 on Aug 20 2016 3:57:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2016 :  3:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
P.S. We also make fresh salsa with our tomatoes, which is to die for . . :D!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Kiltie Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Jennifer
Bay City MI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2016 :  7:10:22 PM  Show Profile
This year we are growing all heirloom varieties of tomato. Ny favorites are the Juliet. They are like a roma, but a bit smaller. Lots of meat to them. I also like the orange/yellow (?) plum tomatoes we are doing this year. Very sweet. We have an heirloom cherry, but I'm not sure the variety. And the Heirloom Beefsteak - it's really large this year.

Thankfully, we have had good luck this year. Despite a really dry summer, the tomatoes are doing well. We staked them this year instead of caging them and I really like how it's working. The Beefsteak especially are doing well staked....they are like little tomato trees! The smaller varieties are a bit harder to stake as I didn't keep up with pruning them - oops! The Juliet's are like a jungle and it's like finding buried treasure looking for them!

Farmgirl Sister #7120

"Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Favorite tomatoes Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page