Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Mildew Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2015 :  5:14:10 PM  Show Profile
The steps going down to my basement are open, with steps above them going to the attic. The walls come down about half way. Anyway, the walls and ceiling over the steps have gotten mildew on them because of all the rain we had. I've been using a sponge mop with a bleach solution cause I can't reach high enough to scrub the walls and I have to stand on the steps, blah, blah, blah. It's tedious and time-consuming. Is there an easier way to get rid of mildew? I tried using vinegar and it didn't work. I've eliminated about half of what was there but it still smells and there are still stains in hard to reach areas. The rain has let up some so it's not as bad as it was. This is the first time I've had this problem and I've lived here 17 years.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2015 :  05:37:13 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, you do have a complicated problem on your hand! Getting black mold out of your house is very important as the darn stuff is so toxic to breathe in. Perhaps you can contract a contractor type person who knows about getting mold out of houses during renovation and will have some person to contact who has the ladders and equipment to finish the job properly. It would be worth the cost for your health. You don't want to leave it there as it will continue to grow and fester with each rainy period and will enter the duct work system and spread through out the house. Good luck getting this all cleared up! I am sure you are sick and tired of worrying about it. Let us know what solution you come up with as others may find the same issue and need working ideas as well. Many areas of the country this year have had record rainy summers with flooding and no time for things to properly dry out.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2015 :  09:21:36 AM  Show Profile
You may have to hire a professional, but you also may have to strip out that area (including replacing sheet rock, repaint/wall paper)or if the walls are tongue and groove sand down to fresh wood and restain/poly. Black mold can make you extremely extremely sick.

Good Luck,
Lorie

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2015 :  2:29:14 PM  Show Profile
It's not black mold. I know someoone who almost died from black mold. This stuff is pretty tame. It comes off with bleach,its just hard to get to. If it was black mold I would be in an ICU by now.I'll get rid of all of it,just might take some time. Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2015 :  7:45:19 PM  Show Profile
How about a dehumidifier? Most of them are pretty pricey, but I think you can get a small one for around $50, if you think you might use it enough to make paying for it worth it.

Steph

Farmgirl #6511
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  07:44:24 AM  Show Profile
I have a very wet basement, a actually we all do in my area. I ended up getting a dehumidifier and it helps a lot. It does cost money to run, but it's worth it to keep the mold down. If we get too much rain, I also use fans to dry it up quickly. More electricity, but it keeps the mold from growing. Good luck!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

Lowrider
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Karen
Linthicum Maryland
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  7:13:59 PM  Show Profile
My hubby has a friend at work who told him his brother is a professional in this area. They use hydrogen peroxide. I just bought a forclosure that was empty and closed up for 3 yrs. I had some mildew in here too. I put it in a spray bottle and wiped it down, it all disappeared instantly! It wasn't black just whitish looked like bubbles had popped on the wood doors. We did treat some black mold in my daughters townhouse and it foamed up first then went away too. He said the peroxide kills the fungus. Hope this helps.

ArtSeaFartSea Me!
https://www.pinterest.com/lowrider04/
http://lowriderchic.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

homespunlivin
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  8:36:28 PM  Show Profile
Yay for peroxide!! This is a great tip, thanks for sharing. I have used a mixture of 1/2 orignal blue Dawn dish soap and 1/2 peroxide to clean the mildew and rusty stains from hard water on my bath tub and shower. Leave this for at least an hour, more is better and then rinse it off. Worked like a charm.

"Your braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - Christopher Robin
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Mildew Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page