AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2016 :  07:20:28 AM  Show Profile
I've spent the last two days canning up a storm!!!

14 pints of Green Beans
7 half pints of Asian Plum Sauce
7 half pints and 2 jelly jars of Plum Sour Cherry Cinnamon Jam
3 half pints and 7 jelly jars of Peach Lime Jam

And don't get me started on needing to use up the zucchini you see in the back ground of the picture!!!

I still have 2 more lbs of peaches left but I may just bring them in for co-workers to enjoy! I don't know if I have it in me to do another session after work tonight!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2016 :  07:26:10 AM  Show Profile
Jaime, now that's a beautiful sight. Well done!

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2016 :  07:59:54 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Wow, Jaime that is a beautiful site. You go farmgirl!

So far I have frozen a bushel of green and wax beans and grated zucchini. As soon as my tomatoes ripen the canning begins.

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2016 :  08:17:13 AM  Show Profile
Darlene, a bushel of green beans is a lot. Well done.

Reminds me of the time I bought a bushel of green beans from a truck farmer at work. The night I was supposed to prepare them for freezing was baseball night for my 2nd grade son. All games were played at schools where you bought your own lawn chair. I also took my bushel of green beans. As I sat stringing beans other mothers came up and asked if they could help. By the time the game was over my beans were ready for next step.

Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2016 :  08:37:42 AM  Show Profile
Jaime, I just love the sight of rows of canning jars spread across a table, beautiful! I haven't done any canning yet this year. Soon I'll be making pickles. I love making pickles.

Connie

http://www.naturemaiden.com/ Handcrafted Artisan Soap
http://saratoga-rose.blogspot.com/ My published books & other writing.
http://modern-day-laura.blogspot.com/ Filled with everything I love!
http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/ Vintage Sewing Machine Parts

Edited by - naturemaiden on Jul 26 2016 08:38:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2016 :  09:07:26 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Sara, way to get the work done! LOL! I should have thought of that way back when. My husband helped me with the ends and then I took over. I froze 24 qts. I may do more and then can some dilly beans. I put some in my refrigerator pickles and they were really good also. Off to get a haircut . I'll be peaking in later !

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2016 :  03:56:08 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, girls!

Just want to give you a little update on the mandarin oranges. They taste good, but instead of tasting like little mandarin oranges, they taste more like little pieces of grapefruit. Well, that's not exactly right... At first bite they're like grapefruit, but then you taste the orange. I am sure this is due to the pith. I tried to get it all off, but apparently it's not enough. It still tastes okay and is still edible, though. Not sure how to remedy this for the future, other than to remove the "meaty" part completely before canning... but, as I said, they were falling apart in my hands when I tried to do that...

I'm getting ready to can up some butter this week, and then I'm going to start clearing out the freezer, canning up the remaining meat and any fruit that is still good. It's going to take a while to get all of that done, but I need to get ready for the influx of tomatoes from the garden (which is taking so long that I can feel myself aging with my gray hairs coming in...) (I freeze my tomatoes before canning), and it will soon be time to order my beef and chicken for the winter. Our pig should be ready by October, too. My son's girlfriend is all excited about learning to can meats, so it will be really fun having her with me this time around! :)

Jaime, your table of home-canned goodness is beautiful... Wonderful job!

Have a great day, girls!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2016 :  06:32:21 AM  Show Profile
Nini, just guessing you can fresh butter. Can store bought butter be canned too? I buy it on sale but it takes up room in my refrigerator's freezer.

Today I will be getting ready to put up watermelon rind, cucumber, & jalapeno pepper pickles. I have a personal size watermelon to cut and prepare the rind. It will be good in the fridge for several days and be ready when I am ready to make the pickles.

Recipe is in Ball's new canning book.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2016 :  05:37:16 AM  Show Profile
I've seen things on Pinterest for canning butter, but I've also seen some articles debating the safety of it? I just buy butter when it's at a good price and throw it in the freezer in the package it comes in. Let's me stock up for holiday baking!

Canned another 11 pints of green beans this weekend!

My tomato plants are LOADED! Only 1 or 2 are starting to ripen though. I'm really hoping they don't all decide to be ready the long weekend we are gone on vacation in mid August!!!

Tomatillo plants seem to be coming along finally so there should be some canning of Salsa Verde and Green Enchilada Sauce in my future too!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2016 :  8:57:27 PM  Show Profile
Sara - I am canning up store bought butter because that's all I have access to at the moment. I didn't get to it as planned last week, so now I'm going to try to find time to get it done this week. Life is what happens when you're busy making plans, right? ;)

Jaime - I usually freeze my butter, too! I have indeed read about the pros and cons and safety of canning butter. The main concern is botulism. I think, though, that unless there is a botulism outbreak at the butter processing plant, you're okay with store bought butter. I'm super sanitary when I process foods, so I would be shocked if there were any way I could contaminate it myself. I am torn - should I pressure can it, because there are proteins in the butter, or would it be okay if I just simmer/boil it, and process in sanitized jars in a water bath? My goal is not uber long term storage, though: I would just like to get it out of the freezer to make room for the meats I'll be ordering soon. This is making me lean toward water bathing it. It will be kept in a cool, dark cupboard, and surely won't last more than a couple of months; especially in light of the fact that the holidays are around the corner and I'll be using it for baking, as you plan to do! :)

Has anyone had success in canning turnips? I tried last year, and they looked good. Although they were edible, I didn't really like the flavor. I am hoping someone can tell me the best way to do it?

Thanks!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2016 :  3:56:53 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Nini,
Good luck on your turnips! I don't like the way turnips taste either! At all, no way, no how! (just had to say that!)
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2016 :  06:34:59 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Oh, CJ! I looove turnips - mashed turnips and carrots, that is, with a squeeze of lemon juice on top! But man, the ones in the jar - tsk, tsk, tsk - not good at all! At least mine weren't. I think I did something wrong. I also canned kale, I think it was, last year. EEEE-YUCK!!! I'll probably just stick to dehydrating that instead!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  5:51:53 PM  Show Profile
I canned beets. They came out anemic (pale). I will have more to can latest. Any suggestions?

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2016 :  02:12:04 AM  Show Profile
Lorena, I have never canned beets but when cooking them I leave a little of the stem on to keep the beets from bleeding.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2016 :  06:47:41 AM  Show Profile
Fermenting one quart of cauliflower in salt water brine. I added fresh rosemary & thyme, whole cumin seed, and red pepper flakes.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2016 :  4:37:52 PM  Show Profile
Yum Sara! Let me know how that turns out!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2016 :  4:44:20 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - nubidane on Aug 06 2016 4:45:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2016 :  4:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Today I froze corn. Bought 80 cobs locally and blanched and cut it off the cob. I put 3 cups in a bag. Total was 28 bags or 84 cups. I'm going to try my refrigerator pickles recipe and do pickled green tomatoes.

My mother used to can red beets but I never did. Last week I made a Harvard beet in the crockpot. Turned out very tasty.

Tired tonight! I'm surprised at how many women don't can or freeze. They say it's to much work. They don't cook much either. They like to eat though! LOL!

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2016 :  8:00:32 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Darlene! You're too funny!!! You know... I watched a video online that showed how to freeze your corn right in the husk... You don't have to blanch it or anything. You just hold the husk closed tight, wrap it in plastic (or foil) and then freeze. I've prepared about a dozen ears this way, and am looking forward to seeing how it works! We've been enjoying fresh corn, so it may take a few weeks before we try the frozen ears, but I will definitely let you know how it turns out! :)

Lorene - do you have any idea why the beets paled? I've never heard of that before! I've never canned plain beets - always pickled them. Wish I could give you more insight! Sure am interested to find out what happened!

Sara - that cauliflower sounds wonderful! I'm with Lisa - YUM!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2016 :  8:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
NINI, what I really meant was they like to eat what you are willing to give them that you planted, grew, canned, froze, baked, pickled etc.! You know what I mean! LOL!

I was going to try the corn in the husks but several people said they didn't like it that way. I didn't want to waste 80 ears. Let me know when you try yours. Sure wouldn't be so much work.

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2016 :  9:28:59 PM  Show Profile
Lol... I get it, Darlene! My mother is a big one for not wanting to can - too much fussy work. But she sure loves when I send her home canned goodness - she even requests some things! :) I'm always happy to comply!

As far as the corn... I will definitely let you know. I had dehydrated quite a few bags of frozen organic corn a couple of years back only to find out this year that they were part of that massive e. coli recall. UGH! Our family ATE that corn!!! Thankfully, I was able to return the remainder for a full refund... HOWEVER, this year we're growing whatever we can, and I am committed to buying the rest of our corn (and other produce) locally, and will be canning and dehydrating my own! I don't plan on freezing more in the husk like this until I know for sure whether we like it. In the meantime, I'm going to have that dehydrator and canner running like a banshee this summer, believe me! ;)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2016 :  07:09:07 AM  Show Profile
I don't know why they paled.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2016 :  07:52:52 AM  Show Profile
Hmph... That's something! I've never heard of that happening before, Lorena. I wonder if it was the type of beet that caused this to happen... Or maybe the seeds were accidentally hybridized with a lighter color beet like Chiogga or a Golden strain, and that is why they turned out like that in canning. I wouldn't worry about it, as long as they taste and smell okay. Crazy things happen sometimes, right? Let us know how your second batch goes! I find this so interesting! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2016 :  09:02:51 AM  Show Profile
Mine lose a little color when I can but taste fine.

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2016 :  12:24:08 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Nini, I comply also. I even get requests for my husbands fresh trout he catches. Head on or not! LOL! The Lord says to feed His children!
BTW I use Copes dried corn when I make it baked. Have you ever used it? It is delicious.

Don't know why the beets pale. Maybe the store canned beets have color added to keep them dark.

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: