YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2023 :  06:41:32 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, I looked through one book "Not Your Mama's Canning Book" and found one recipe that I want to try, tikka masala sauce. It calls for 12 cups diced tomatoes but said canned tomatoes may be used. That's my kind of recipe. I may have to order the garam masala spice blend from Amazon. It makes 6 pints, and my canner holds 7 pints so I will just add a couple of cups of tomatoes and wee more of everything else.

A recipe I want to look at again, Asian style sweet chili sauce, that is canned in a water bath canner.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2023 :  3:11:26 PM  Show Profile
I'd be curious to see that recipe Sara. I still have about 7 gallon bags of tomatoes in my freezer
I did cowboy candy with jalapenos, and spicy tomato jam this year. Wowsa! They both took a ton of sugar, but I figure they will be good as a meat glaze or on top of cream cheese with crackers

Edited by - nubidane on Oct 04 2023 3:14:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2023 :  4:25:50 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, I don't feel like posting the recipe here, but I have copied it, and it will go out in the mail tomorrow. If anyone else wants the tikka masala sauce recipe, please e-mail me and I'll send you one.

I too like hot pepper jelly over cream cheese.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2023 :  04:10:23 AM  Show Profile
I have ran a canner with less then a full load. It works and I had no problems with anything tipping over. They say to add jars of water, but I have never bothered to do that. We have a spring, so we always would have water. Good luck with your new recipe Sara.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2023 :  07:43:16 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Michelle, for letting me know about being able to can without a full load. I'll do that instead of messing with the recipe since it will be my first time to use it. I ordered the spice blend and it should be here today or tomorrow. I want to can the tikka marsala sauce and at least one dried bean next week.

Edited by - YellowRose on Oct 05 2023 07:44:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3004 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3004 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2023 :  09:18:07 AM  Show Profile
That sounds like an interesting sauce Sara - I've never heard of that spice blend before. Do you know is it spicy?

I've never had an electric canner - what are the pros & cons versus the old fashioned on the stove kind?

I made apple juice yesterday and plan to make some apple pie filling and apple sauce in the next couple days.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2023 :  09:37:01 AM  Show Profile
Heather I haven't had the spice blend before. When I get it I will taste it and let you know how spicy it is. I don't do spicy and heat like I used to.

I like my electric canner, so far, no complaints but it does take longer than a regular pressure canner. The longer time doesn't bother me because it gives me time to clean up the kitchen or sit in rocker. When I first got it, I had a learning curve because it is digital. Michelle helped me out with how and when to push the buttons.

Thanks for reminding me to put up some apple pie filling. I like it over oatmeal for a lite supper. I have always preferred oatmeal for supper rather than for breakfast.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2023 :  10:21:32 AM  Show Profile
Heather, the spice blend arrived today and I tasted it on the tip of my tongue. I like it very much. It has mild heat and not too spicy. I would say it's mildly spicy. I'm having red beans I canned for lunch and I am thinking about adding the spice blend to the beans.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2023 :  11:36:27 AM  Show Profile
Sara, are you talking about garam masala?
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2023 :  11:59:35 AM  Show Profile
Yes Lisa, it's garam masala, I had it in the beans and it's different from what I usually put in my beans. 1/2 tsp in a pint of beans - it was very mild and just a faint hint of heat. Don't know if all brands are that mild. Rani is the brand. Has 11 spices so I thought it would have more of a punch. I'm new to Indian spices and recipes.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2023 :  03:52:55 AM  Show Profile
Enjoy Sara!! I did get one batch of beef stock done yesterday. 5 quarts. I need to go digging and I thought I had some more beef bones in the freezer. So could be doing another batch. Next up, canned beef tips. My mom would like some of these too. You can use a tough cut of beef, cut into bite size pieces, can and they turn out so tender and good.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2023 :  08:50:55 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, well done on putting up the beef stock. Jars of goodness for winter soups and stews. I haven't tried beef tips yet but it is on my to-can list.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2023 :  04:13:55 AM  Show Profile
Beef tips ............ I highly recommend them!! I plan on using round steak. Cause that is a tough cut I have.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2023 :  07:14:52 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, I'll be watching the sales to see if there's a cut of meat I can use that'll fit my budget.

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3004 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3004 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2023 :  12:17:27 PM  Show Profile
I like to can stew meat. Not sure what cut it is, we get it made when we have a steer butchered. Whatever I have leftover when it's time to butcher again I can. I usually then use it for quick beef and noodles. I'll keep the round steak in mind. We usually have a few of them left as well.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1445 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1445 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2023 :  8:03:08 PM  Show Profile
John and I harvested the last of our beans and the corn on the cob on Friday. Today, we prepped everything and got it in the freezer. It just feels so darn good to preserve your food when when it goes from a seed to your freezer and you’ve cared for it all through its journey! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2023 :  03:00:07 AM  Show Profile
Karen it is nice to handle your food from start to finish. The flavor is so much better. Enjoy.
Heather the recipe for beef tips actually says to use stew meat. Anything will work, as it turns out so tender in a pressure canner.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2023 :  12:04:04 PM  Show Profile
Today I have been prepping to can the tikka masala sauce tomorrow. It really wasn't much of a chore because I did it in my rocker watching old horror movies form the 1930s to 1960s on TCM.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2023 :  02:56:52 AM  Show Profile
Oh Sara, canning and horror movies......... lol good for you!! Made me laugh.
I have the last of my beef tips going this morning. I did up 10 pounds of various cuts. I did 7 pints for us and I have 6 half pints going now for my mom. Woke up early, so figured I might as well get the canner going. I plan on cooking a ham today, I had 3 or 4 in the freezer and time to get using them. I hope to can some split pea soup with the left over ham.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2023 :  07:09:51 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, split pea soup with ham is one of my favorites.

How do you manage the water level in the electric canner when doing 1/2 pints? I want to know because I have squatty pint jars that I used to can beans in, but I didn't know about the water in the canner covering the jars.

I put up the tikka masala sauce yesterday and it is very tasty. All jars sealed and I got 7 pints with 3 cups of the sauce left over. I was worried about not having a full load and I had extra. The only thing I could figure out was by using canned diced tomatoes instead of fresh the cans are packed solid with little liquid. I have never diced up 12 cups of tomatoes but I would think they would have more juice that would cook off. Anybody have any suggestions on why I ended up with extra sauce.

The extra sauce is being put to good use today when I am making a chickpea and potato curry.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2023 :  08:10:02 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I got your recipe! Thanks! I plan to can this weekend if time allows.
That sauce sounds perfect for your curry recipe.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2023 :  08:50:39 AM  Show Profile
Lisa let us know how you like the tikka masala sauce. I had the curry for an early lunch. I liked it very much but next time I think I want more potatoes.

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3004 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3004 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2023 :  09:06:39 AM  Show Profile
Sara - so happy to hear all your jars sealed up. I never get my recipes to come out with the correct number of jars either. Some times I'm short a bit and sometimes I'm over. I don't know why for sure either. I figured it's because "one pepper and one onion" can come in a variety of sizes. What you said about the canned versus fresh tomatoes seems like a good reason to me.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2023 :  09:38:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Heather for letting me know I'm not the only one with the problem of either not having enough or too much. The only time I am sure I have the right amount is when I am canning dried beans. I measure out the beans the night before.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2023 :  02:22:20 AM  Show Profile
Sara I have found that the water level does not go down much in the electric canner when pressure canning. So useing the smaller jars I used a touch less water. Technically I thought I read once you were not supposed to pressure can half pint jars and smaller, I could be wrong on that too. My mom does it all the time, so I thought what the heck.
Heather, I did can split pea soup yesterday, followed the recipe and I was short on liquid. I made notes to add extra stock if I make it again. It is frustrating, to get to filling jars and your short according to the recipe.
We picked up cranberries yesterday at the marsh. I did get them cleaned last night and will can up juice when I have time. I put them in the freezer for now.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Farm Kitchen:  What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page