YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2020 :  05:46:47 AM  Show Profile
Sara the ginger was all peeled and soaking in water by the time I went to bed at 8 p.m. I did use a little paring knife after trying to peel with a spoon which is the way I usually to it. Since the ginger had been around for quite awhile the skin was hard and in some cases even woody. Two whole pieces had to be thrown away because they were too old. Not bad for marked down ginger. I figure I probably lost about 1/2 lb after paring.

I peeled the ginger by favorite way of doing things like husking corn & picking out nuts - in my rocker. With a kitchen towel or silly shally over my lap watching TV while working. Stop when my hands get tire and pick it back up when they have rested.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2020 :  05:57:41 AM  Show Profile
Michele in my cookbooks there's recipes for candied ginger and pickling. I have thought about making syrup out of some of the pieces. Ginger syrup should have a lot of uses. All of my recipes call for storing in fridge - no canning recipes. I will put up in 4 & 8 oz jars. That way as I use it only a small amount will be exposed to the air each time. Will make good gifts too.

If you would like my cookbooks recipes I will print them out and send to you. I have your address. Don't you think the recipes can be adjusted to fit any amount of ginger.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2020 :  10:56:39 AM  Show Profile
If you get tired of canning ginger you can always grow it. I have a nice plot of ginger in my backyard in a protected area. It works well in a pot as a house or patio plant too.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2020 :  03:19:18 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Sara for your offer. I will look online and in my cookbooks to see what I can find. Grow your own ginger, Judith, very cool. Pinterest here i come! lol

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2862 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2862 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2020 :  1:25:21 PM  Show Profile
Judith, I've tried growing ginger here and couldn't get it to start. Tried starting with sprouted organic ginger. Any suggestions? Of course we DO have different growing zones. LOL
Sara, if you have a good blender (I am lucky enough to have a Vitamix), you can puree/blend ginger, peel and all in it. Then freeze in ice cube trays.
I'm not a fan of candied ginger so this is how I do mine, so I have it on hand. Eliminates that pesky peeling.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2020 :  2:03:04 PM  Show Profile
Heather -- growing ginger outside probably isn't a possibility for you but it should work as a house plant that can be moved outside in good weather. It might take a couple of attempts; I think sometimes it has been kept in cold storage too long and then won't grow--just a guess. It took me several tries to get turmeric to grow and then I lost it in an early freeze, so I will try again this spring. I pick tubers that have the little bumps on them that indicate a willingness to grow.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2020 :  10:59:57 PM  Show Profile
Another 9 quarts of chicken broth. For $12 I get two young chickens at Costco. After 24 hours of simmering and processing I have 9 quarts of rich broth and 4 dinners of ready to use meat. Not too bad!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2020 :  04:00:35 AM  Show Profile
Sara, 9 quarts is impressive and dinners in freezer too - good job.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2020 :  4:37:59 PM  Show Profile
Today I watched a cooking show on PBS Create and one of the recipes was a casserole made with halved cherry tomatoes, crusty bread, link sausage, and jarred white beans. I'm thinking of doing my version of the recipe with one of my home canned beans. Having another recipe to use home canned beans is a very good thing in deed.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  06:40:51 AM  Show Profile
Sara I recently concocted a winter salad from my pantry using dilly green beans, homemade pickled red peppers, and home canned beans. I added carrot and celery and used the spicy vinegar from the dillies to make the dressing.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  06:45:29 AM  Show Profile
Sara that sounds so good. Great use of the pickle juice. I add any pickled juice to things like deviled eggs, potato salad, and BBQ sauces.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2020 :  10:10:48 AM  Show Profile
I recently made a jar of pickled onions. It was a Pinterest recipe, and not for canning, but it was so easy I had to share. Just bring to boil sliced onion, garlic and peppercorns in a vinegar and sugar brine. Cool and refrigerate. The red onions turn a beautiful pink color and I love just seeing them in the jar when I open my fridge. Plus they are a tasty topper to sandwiches and I’m sure many other good uses I haven’t yet tried.

If one were to process them, I suppose they would lose their crunch?
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  9:14:49 PM  Show Profile
4 half pints apple butter and 5 pints applesauce.
These apples have been slowly deteriorating in my kitchen all winter—much to the delight of the barn animals who view soggy apples as a real treat. The voluntary self-isolation I’m practicing has inspired me to take care of some glaring projects which have been taunting me for a long time and the apples were at the top of the list. Now they are done! I can cross them off about six different lists!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2020 :  9:09:15 PM  Show Profile
7 quarts turkey soup base! YUM! And I started to can home filtered water in my unused canning jars.. Just for now... Just in case...

Like you, Sara, I'm taking total advantage of this lockdown to get sooo many things done that I've had to put up due to our usually busy schedule. Using lemons to make lemonade! :) Tomorrow, I'm pickling and canning sweet peppers! I'm so happy! YAY!!!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2020 :  06:05:02 AM  Show Profile
Happy canning, Nini.

It's 50 now so when it warms up a little I'll be out in my Yellow Rose Cottage canning 4 pints navy beans. Doing it the no soak method - oh, so much easier. Yesterday my sister put up four qts navy beans using the no soak method. She's been wanting to try it since I told her what I learned here on the Farm. She puts up in quarts while I'm a small batch canner. I'll do four more pints tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2020 :  04:37:38 AM  Show Profile
This morning I'm finishing up canning no-soak navy beans. With this batch I will have 12 pints which should last me a while. I have an order of heirloom dried beans due later this week or next. The beans are: Eye of the Goat; Christmas Limas; Cranberry; Royal Corona; and Midnight Black. Will be busy canning when they get here.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2020 :  08:33:53 AM  Show Profile
Nini, have you seen food shortages in your community? As soon as the words “stay home” were uttered in my state, the hoarding began. But I find myself very well prepared, which gives me such self-validation. All the canning I did over the summer makes a basis for many meals, and all the prepping I’ve been admitting to now has a purpose! I’m just so grateful for land to grow my own food on and a lifestyle that allows time to dedicate to those things.

Sara, canned beans was one of the early commodities to fly from the shelves here. You serve yourself well by storing them up, even if they are in your house dry. I love all the varieties you’ve chosen! I’m getting addicted to growing shelling beans and have ordered garbanzos, black coco and cranberry seeds to try in the garden, in addition to the two varieties I already grow.

This week I made two quarts vegetable broth and four quarts chicken broth. The vegetable broth was from scraps and ends I had been collecting for a week; Swiss chard ribs, celery ends, onion roots and carrot nubs, the tough green ends of scallions and kohlrabi leaves. It made a lovely broth! My frugal bone has been activated in this pandemic and I’m thinking a lot about how our ancestors were forced to make do with very little.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2020 :  09:12:43 AM  Show Profile
Sara as your bean garden grows share the story with us. Your veg broth sounds tasty and will be the base for many recipes. Broths of any kind are good in warming up leftovers. I freeze broths left over from recipes in ice cube trays.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2020 :  08:13:16 AM  Show Profile
Sara you must mean you are a purist who doesn’t use a microwave? Do you reheat leftovers on the stove with moisture? That’s a memory of the “old” ways I can’t convey to my kids—how one had to prepare at least 20 minutes ahead of time to heat food without a microwave oven. I doubt they would ever figure it out if they truly lost power for any length of time.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2020 :  10:37:02 AM  Show Profile
I use my micro-wave to reheat but somethings just taste better if done on stove.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2020 :  5:49:51 PM  Show Profile
Not canning now Sara---but I ordered 36 dozen flats in case I have to stay home and rely on canned garden food. So glad I know how---and how you have inspired me.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2020 :  09:22:11 AM  Show Profile
You are very smart Barbara! I’ve realized that jars and lids would be essential if I had to live off the farm. It’s something you don’t think about, but you couldn’t make your own.
And baking soda, baking powder, and yeast.
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2020 :  12:02:42 AM  Show Profile
Six pints of navel oranges. A First!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2020 :  07:19:30 AM  Show Profile
Sara, great job on canning oranges. Let us know how you like them.

Today I have an order of tried fava beans from Amazon to be delivered. Have never had them so I hope I like them. Never knew about them before Silence of the Lambs and have been wanting to try them ever since. If delivered today I hope to begin canning by the weekend.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2020 :  09:37:51 AM  Show Profile
I canned 1 lb of the fava beans today and they turned to mush. I opened one pint - added salt & EVOO - the puree was very good. I will go ahead and can the other lb of fava beans. The beans should be good as side dish or a soup with a little homemade chicken broth.

Since the beans are so little to keep them whole they should be cooked per pkg instructions.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Farm Kitchen:  What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page