windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2018 :  02:41:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sara, i just looked at the electric canners. Neat idea but they have mixed reviews. I know yours works great. I would love to find one at a thrift store.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2018 :  03:02:29 AM  Show Profile
Michele, the only problem I have had with mine is the plug. Have to make sure it is well in or it won't heat. Hope you can find one at a thrift store.

I'm taking a break from canning for a couple of days to get yard work done. My big oak tree is always dropping limbs/branches and now acorns.

I have five more kinds of dried beans to can and several more I want to order.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2018 :  04:03:49 AM  Show Profile
sara, i think your cottage sounds great. enjoy. Having things set up and ready to go makes it much easier to use and makes you use it more. You are inspiring!

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2018 :  05:30:56 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Michele for your sweet words.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2018 :  05:49:05 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I canned 4 pints Mayocoba dried yellow bean from Mexico. Today it's cannellini dried beans which are a white kidney bean.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2018 :  07:07:37 AM  Show Profile
Four pints Rio Zape dried beans in pressure canner. It's a pinto-like bean good in Tex-Mex dishes. First time to can them so looking forward to that first bowl.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2018 :  10:15:21 AM  Show Profile
Have second batch of chicken broth in slowcooker to can in the coming days. I use skin on chicken thighs so I will de-fat before I can. As long as the fat is left on top of broth the broth is sealed so it can be kept in the fridge up to a week before canning. Happy Canning!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2018 :  09:47:15 AM  Show Profile
Pressured canned 8 pints of chicken broth this morning. High 20's in the morning and freezing weather through next week so until it's up to at least 40 degrees canning is on hold in my Yellow Rose Cottage.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2018 :  02:36:02 AM  Show Profile
Will you be winding down for the season, or do you keep canning all year long? I bet it depends on what you find at the store on sale and the temps outside of course. I do have chicken to make stock out of too, but that won't happen till after Christmas i am thinking.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2018 :  06:17:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Michele, I still have 3 more heirloom dried beans on hand to can plus 2 pkg of dried split peas to make soup and can. There's more kinds of heirloom beans I want to order. You're right I'll can through out the year when I have something to put up and the weather cooperates.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2018 :  03:08:15 AM  Show Profile
it sure is nice to have all the canned food, ready to heat and eat! enjoy

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2018 :  05:47:27 AM  Show Profile
Keep on canning Yellow Rose and whoever else cans all year. I am done and glad of it. Now to get to eating it so that I can put up more next year. Now I will start freezing pumpkin. I have cinderellas sitting all over the house begging to be eaten. They were displayed on the porch, but freezing weather has chased them indoors and into the cooking pot. Sara---do you know the best and easiest way to cook pumpkin? I peel and boil, but that is kinda hard.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2018 :  06:17:22 AM  Show Profile
Barbara I roast pumpkin at 425 in the oven. Cut open - remove seeds - slice into wedges or large chunks. Sometimes I peel it but it is so easy to leave peel on and scrape out pumpkin when it's done.

For savory dishes I use EVO, and herbs of choice. For pies butter and pumpkin pie spices. If I'm not sure what I am going to do with it I roast it plain. Label freezer bags with whatever fat and seasoning used. Ball Blue Canning Books does not recommend canning - only freezing or drying.

My sister cuts the top off a pie pumpkin - scoops out seeds - fills with beef stew and cooks in the oven at 350. I haven't tried it yet.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2018 :  07:07:24 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sara---I will try the baking and let you know how it works for me. It does sound easy. I have always wanted to try the whole pumpkin stew thing---have seen it in magazines. Maybe I'll get brave and do it. We are whipped out with them and winter squash---I have given several away and need ways to use the rest.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2018 :  08:19:09 AM  Show Profile
Barbara,
I have even cut mine up and covered with damp paper towels and microwaved.
I love to cook, puree and put in quart freezer bags, freeze and put in my chilis. Makes it thick with a slight sweetness.
Also, if you have a dehydrator, you can cut into small pieces raw and dehydrate. Great to use all winter in soups and stocks. Just toss in a handful. Plus it dehydrates down to almost nothing, so very easy to store.
I had great success this year with kikuza squash. It has a sweet spicy flavor. I might experiment with a pie and if it is good may use in place of sweet potato this Thanksgiving.
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the canning thread. LOL
Sara, I know whose house to come to if I need any quick canned beans.

Edited by - nubidane on Nov 11 2018 08:20:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2018 :  08:28:15 AM  Show Profile
Lisa come on down - door is always open - and love to share my canned beans.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2018 :  4:10:52 PM  Show Profile
Well Rose and Lisa===I tried both your methods and they are both better than mine. I like the baking for large amounts and the microwave for just enough for pie or cake. Thanks, I am doing one big pumpkin a day and actually enjoying it. I am going to dehydrate some too as I love it whole in soups and chilis.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2018 :  06:27:43 AM  Show Profile
It's warming up to the mid-sixties so I am resuming canning in my Yellow Rose Cottage. Today it's Santa Maria Pinquitos dried beans - it's a small pink bean.

Tomorrow I should receive a new order of beans and lentils. Some are old favorites and a few are new ones. Looking forward to canning the new beans & lentils.

Here's a list of what I ordered.

Mogette de Vendée Bean
French-style Green Lentils
Black Caviar Lentils
Pinto Bean
Christmas Lima Bean
Lila Bean
Eye of the Goat (Ojo de Cabra) Bean
Cranberry Bean
Azufrado Bean
Ayocote Negro
Yellow Indian Woman Bean

And you thought dried beans were boring.

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2280 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2280 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2019 :  2:04:46 PM  Show Profile
I made much more bean with bacon soup than we cared to eat (I had to keep increasing the size of the pot) so I canned 4 pints of soup today and 2 quarts of chicken stock. It sure felt good to get the pressure canner out, and now I have a few new quick meals when I need them.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2019 :  2:54:34 PM  Show Profile
Julie you'll enjoy your canned bean soup on a busy day.

I hope to get back to canning dried beans when it warms up a little so I can be in my Yellow Rose Cottage. I've started saving about a fourth a cup of dried beans out of every 1# bag to make bean soup. I have 13-15 1# bags of different beans so I will have quite a mixture for soup.

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2280 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2280 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2019 :  05:56:07 AM  Show Profile
Sara all those different varieties of beans will make a tasty soup.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2019 :  10:50:52 AM  Show Profile
Hello girls!

Wow Sara, you are the canning queen!!! On my list of canning is dried beans, I have not tried it yet. Do you soak them overnight? In SW Colorado we were blessed to live near bean farms and would often get Pinto Beans and Anasazi Beans (which are my favorite :)) Have you tied Anasazi beans yet?

Michele, we moved to the UP of Michigan, we aren't that far away :)

Lisa, how did your squash pie come out? I love the idea of a spicy/sweet squash but we have so many quarts of squash in the freezer right now. The squash planting will be on a sabbatical ;)

Julie, Bean and Bacon Soup is also something I want to try canning :)

Barbara, Nini (one of the farmgirls) used to dehydrate her pumpkin and then grind it to add to dishes or just add liquid to use in baking. Her husband used to call it "pumpkin dust" :)

Jana, better late than never: A Year of Pies by Ashley English has a recipe for a Coffee Chocolate and Orange Marmalade Tart :)

It has been forever since I have visited. We moved from SW Colorado to the UP of Michigan in 2017 and had whirlwind of a yea! Things are just now settling down a bit :) I have made a goal to can at least 2 things each month.

January: Orange Marmalade using Cara Cara Oranges
Potatoes

February: Sloppy Joe Mix
Green Tomato Mincemeat (I am cleaning out the freezer :) )

March: Pomegranate Jelly (I just bought the juice but have missed having Pomegranate Jelly)

*On the list for this month is: Lemon Curd. I purchased some Meyer Lemons, zested and juiced them and just froze that for now so I won't get overwhelmed when
making it (a first time :) )
Zucchini Salsa (I have frozen shredded zucchini I will be using. I am going to add some chopped plums to it.)

We now live in an area where we can purchase fresh lake fish so my plan is to stock up on whitefish and can that as one would for tuna. We have always purchased Albacore Tuna and the past few times we have had it it has not tasted good and the texture is less chunks and more flakes. We will just use the whitefish in place of tuna.

Happy Canning girls :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2019 :  11:40:37 AM  Show Profile
Sharon I have canned Anasazi Beans which are kin to pintos. I have found them in grocery stores and a fruit stand. I soak them overnight and follow the recipe in Ball Blue book. I do only pints which is two meals for me.

My canning is still on hold because of it's too cold and wet. With warmer weather on the way I hope to can several days a week. I find my Yellow Rose Cottage peaceful early in the mornings.

FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2019 :  1:37:39 PM  Show Profile
Your cottage sounds perfect Sara :) I love mornings when things are so quiet and peaceful.

I didn't realize that pintos and Anasazi were related, makes sense :) I made sure that when we moved we brought some beans with us along with flour, cornmeal and germ-ade which similar to Cream of Wheat but we were able to purchase in Colorado.

Here's to warmer weather for both of us :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  03:57:28 AM  Show Profile
Sara, i go to my ball blue book also. Like my mom and grandmas do and did. My canner is antique. I had it tested once and it was a little off, so they said make adjustments. I discovered i had not tightened down the gauge, so i think it worked just fine.
Sharon, i have heard of Bruce Crossing. lol Not sure if we have driven through it or not, on the motorcycle. I know some of our techs at work were in that area at one time. I like your list by the month of what you want to accomplish.
I need to thaw those old hens i have and get canning. Got some tallow to get cooked down too, for soap making. But alas not today. We have to try to get our barn yard cleaned out of snow. Soon we will be calving, and need to be able to open and close gates. happy canning.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page