True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2018 :  10:17:05 AM  Show Profile
Barbara
My tomatoes did awful this summer. But last year I had bumper crops and froze them. So I have been using those and they are easy to peal so that makes it nice. So sorry about your garden. I am getting ready to set out a fall garden but have had an armadillo getting in my garden every night for a week now. So can't put my seedling out until I catch it. Today I am putting down beneficial nematodes, in hopes they will kill all the bugs and grubs he is after. So hard living with wildlife.

Farmgirl #5111
Farmgirl of the month October 2014
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2018 :  1:55:53 PM  Show Profile
My tomatoes did great this year and are at the end of their cycle. I have spaghetti sauce simmering on the stove getting ready to can tonight. My cucumbers and zucchini did terrible here in Southern California. Funny how that changes from year to year.

Jana

http://www.emhardt.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2018 :  6:39:54 PM  Show Profile
Kelly...Did you freeze your tomatoes before peeling them...If so I have never done that...I do freeze my tomatoes but I use the scalding method...Pour boiling hot water over clean tomatoes and the peelings come right off them...I take out the core and quarter them for cooking...After they cook a bit I put them in the fridge to let them get cold and then put them in quart freezer bags...I put 1 pint per bag...They lay flat and freeze...Gives a lot of extra room in my freezer...

Jana...Homemade spaghetti sauce sounds wonderful!!!That is something I have never tried to make...

Hugs!

Judy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013

Edited by - wildflower17 on Aug 11 2018 6:42:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2018 :  03:52:32 AM  Show Profile
Judy
No, I just bring them in and if no immediate use, I put straight into the freezer. So when canning them this season, I just placed them in some water and started peeling. It is easy and peel just comes off. I know I should parboil first but I use a lot of tomato so I only freeze a couple at a time every few days. Just easier on me and we have never had any issues with it.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2018 :  03:54:39 AM  Show Profile
I have never canned pasta sauce. Hmmm maybe I should try that next.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2018 :  7:00:41 PM  Show Profile
Today I made pickles and froze two kinds of mushrooms---then my husband and I went mushrooming again and found more. So more mushroom freezing tomorrow. Also froze some green beans.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2018 :  04:36:09 AM  Show Profile
Barbara you have been busy in the kitchen.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2018 :  12:57:48 PM  Show Profile

Barbara you sure have been busy...I thought I would be canning White Half Runner beans this week but the Amish produce place where I get my vegetables has not called with my order yet...Hopefully at least within the next day or so...

Hugs!

Judy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2018 :  04:25:36 AM  Show Profile
hi everyone, getting ready to can up tomato juice, this weekend. I use a squeezo. Love it and a real time saver. You cut up fresh tomatoes, the juice and pulp come out one end and the seeds and skin another. My garden has huge plants, but little produce. You would think i put too much nitrogen on it or something. My mom has the same problem, just the year. My tomatoes are just starting to ripen. I picked corn last night and that is done. will cut it down and feed to the cows. been freezing beans, and broccoli. Don't get enough beans to can a batch at a time. Next the elderberries should be ripening.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2018 :  09:42:15 AM  Show Profile
I have been canning mostly fruit this year - cherries, apricots and peaches. Made one batch of apricot jam and some syrup too. I also made bread and butter pickles for the first time. I have been helping my Grandma and my Mom can for years. They are both gone now so this was my first year doing it all by myself. My Dad was worried about not having his fruit for breakfast this winter and really enjoyed going to the fruit stand to help pick out the produce. We are hoping for enough berries from the garden soon to make one more batch of jam.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2018 :  10:57:00 AM  Show Profile
Michele, location of wild elderberry bushes is a guarded secret around here. One of the elderly women I knew who made elderberry jelly for the church bazaar every year took the location of "her" bushes to her grave. Wouldn't tell a soul.

Are your bushes wild or do you grow them?

Marilyn I know you must miss your mother and grandmother at canning time so good to have your dad to help out. All your canning sounds yummy and I know they all look beautiful on a shelve.

Getting antsy to can but I won't be until cooler weather.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2018 :  3:54:25 PM  Show Profile
So funny to covet elderberry bushes. They are all up and down the holler here and no one wants them. I have never made elderberry jelly but ate it as a child at my friend's house. Yous guys may have inspired me to pick them and try them.

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2018 :  6:09:12 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday I pulled out all my tomato plants, picked some jalapeno peppers and cilantro and made 14 pints of salsa. Today I amended the ground where the tomatoes where and planted some fall things like turnips, carrots, parsnips, lettuce, and spinach. I am hoping to get another round of veggies before winter sets in.

Jana

http://www.emhardt.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2018 :  03:28:34 AM  Show Profile
My ma and dad have a bunch of elderberry around a rock pile. I pick on them a few times. Then we start driving around and picking. We know different areas that they grow. No one picks them around here.
Barbara, the juice is very good to help prevent/treat colds. During the winter we mix the juice with other juices when colds and flu are going around. we use a steam juicer to process. I canned tomato juice yesterday morning. Got the last of the grapes picked to make into jam tonight. I need to get out and get the garden cleaned up again. Not enough hours in the day anymore.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2018 :  05:24:31 AM  Show Profile
Jana 14 pints of salsa will be good come sinter. You grow quite a few things in your fall garden. Keep us posted on how they do.

Michele I didn't know about the health benefits of elderberries - I just know I like the jelly. It's funny what is eaten in one part of the country and not so much in others.

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2018 :  11:50:21 AM  Show Profile
Canned applesauce from windfall apples with my daughter. Tedious. But, sure had fun with her.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2018 :  12:07:25 PM  Show Profile
Applesauce sounds yummy and canning with your daughter had to be the best.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  12:14:51 PM  Show Profile
At an estate sale I found a 1944 cookbook. Looking through it I came across a test for pectin.

Test for Pectin
To determine the proportion of pectin present in a fruit juice, combine 1 Tbsp juice, 1 tsp sugar and 1 1/2 tsp Epsom salts. Stir until salts are dissolved; let stand 20 minutes. If a solid mass or large flocculent particles are formed, the juice contains enough pectin to make a satisfactory jelly.

Fruits Suitable for Jelly
To make a good jelly, fruit must be rich in both pectin and acid or it must be combined with another fruit which will supply whichever substance is lacking. Fruits which contain both acid and pectin in sufficient amounts are:

apples - tart
blackberries
crab apples
currants
gooseberries
grapes
loganberries
plums
quinces
raspberries

The book went on to say commercial pectin was a good choice for the inexperienced jelly maker.

Does anyone know when commercial pectin first came on the market? I never thought about what canners did before commercial pectin.

Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  12:45:08 PM  Show Profile
I'm so jealous, I've decided to not do anymore canning until after we move.

------------------------
Lil' Chefs Cookbook- Delicious Recipes for Toy Ovens - http://www.vintage-toy-ovens.com/

Vintage Sewing Machines, Original Parts & Related Book Titles - http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/

My Books: https://www.amazon.com/Connie-McCaffery/e/B01IRQND8O#

Handcrafted Artisan Soap https://www.etsy.com/shop/naturemaiden
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  1:03:57 PM  Show Profile
Connie I know how you feel. Since I can in my Yellow Rose Cottage canning is on hold until cooler weather which may not be here until late Oct. I scratch my canning itch by reading about what others are doing; collecting recipes I want to try and gathering supplies; learning what I can to help make me a better canner.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  06:33:17 AM  Show Profile
I have canned 14 pints and 7 quarts of dill pickles. Today and for the next few days I will be canning salsa. Got to get movin right now. How I do hate to chop onions and cut up hot peppers! But the salsa is worth it. Also have canned 32 pints of curry pickles. Will start kraut soon.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  07:02:29 AM  Show Profile
Way to go Barbara. Happy canning.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2018 :  02:39:45 AM  Show Profile
I made 12 pints of salsa yesterday. Lots of chopping---but kinda fun. Will make more today.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2018 :  05:36:35 AM  Show Profile
Barbara come winter you will enjoy your salsa and it looks so pretty in mason jars.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2018 :  02:35:25 AM  Show Profile
/twenty two more pints of salsa for me. Michelle---I may can up some elderberry juice to use this winter for colds---I never knew it prevented colds. Sara---my mother never used pectin to make jams and jellies. She knew how to know when it was done. Two drops of jelly fall off the spoon just right and it spins a thread. I always did this when I was younger although it was a bit tricky. Now I use sure-jell as it is quicker and always turns out right. I think you can add lemon juice to help also---not sure. But you really don't have to have pectin.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Farm Kitchen:  What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page