janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2017 :  08:15:27 AM  Show Profile
Sounds yummy! Keep us posted if you do try that Sara.

Jana

https://homemadewithhart.blogspot.com/
http://www.emhardt.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjcraftsstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2017 :  10:20:40 AM  Show Profile
Ooo the pork idea is great! Thanks!

I got inspired by the candied ginger I also made in order to make the pumpkin brine. As I had leftover brine and lots of pumpkins I simmered more pumpkin pieces, rolled them in sugar and put them in the dehydrator. I don't know how it will turn out, maybe a simple sugar syrup would be better, but I will let you know! I'm hoping they will be good chopped up and folded into a pumpkin bread.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2017 :  11:59:13 AM  Show Profile
Sara, you go girl! It's fun to use a recipe as a guideline and then make something new with it.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2017 :  08:00:30 AM  Show Profile
It turned out great, Sara! My grandkids love it. I call it pumpkin gummies and their very happy to try it.
I feel that the vinegar brine gives the pumpkin a more complex flavor, rather than being a strange combination. It did take about 20 hours to dry, though. But I plan to make more!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2017 :  10:30:11 AM  Show Profile
Sara, you have inspired me to try it. I may try air drying overnight to see if that cuts down on dehydrator drying time.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2017 :  05:03:59 AM  Show Profile
Four pints chicken broth in pressure canner. A few rain drops on metal roof of Yellow Rose Cottage so it's nice to be out there. During a drought I'm thankful for every drop.

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2017 :  08:02:40 AM  Show Profile
Another canner of tomatoes. Yippee!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2017 :  08:20:37 AM  Show Profile
Good Job, Judith!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2017 :  05:36:32 AM  Show Profile
Over the weekend I canned 4 pints Greek spaghetti sauce with ground chuck. This morning it's 4 pints heirloom cranberry beans in chipotle sauce with diced tomatoes with chipotle. Good to be canning again.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2017 :  04:48:00 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday my sister gave me a sack of jalapeno peppers that were given to her. After prepping I had 2 1/4 lbs. First batch this morning will be plain with water, 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, and 1/4 tsp Kosher salt. yield 4 half pints

Next batch will pickle with carrots. 2 pints 2 half pints

Any pepper leftover will preserve in oil - no canning or dry.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2017 :  05:39:12 AM  Show Profile
Best laid plans of mice, men, and canners. MS fatigue dropped on me as I was filling the jars so my plans for the day have changed. The first batch is in the pressure canner and rest of the peppers I will preserve in oil either today or tomorrow. When you live with a chronic ailment like MS you learn to have a plan B - sometimes you will need plans C & D.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2017 :  05:48:00 AM  Show Profile
This morning I am much better so I am pressure canning 4 pints celery with winter savory. Celery with leaves is 69 cents this week - too good of a deal to pass up so I bought 3 bunches yesterday.

Tomorrow I'll can 4 half pints of celery with either sweet marjoram or thyme.

Celery I don't can will be used in potato soup and meat balls for the freezer.

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2017 :  12:24:45 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Sara, you have been so busy canning! I have a freezer packed to the gills with wild grapes, plums, blackberries, etc. It is sooooo past time to make juice/jelly/jams. I have only done water bath canning so far, but maybe I'll get into pressure canning some day! It just so happens that most of what I save is high acid. ;)

Sounds like you are feeling better. I'm glad. My aunt has MS (and my husband's did as well).

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2017 :  08:15:47 AM  Show Profile
Amanda, are you good at taking those fruits out and canning in the cooler months? I always say I'll do that, but almost never have. It makes so much sense when we live in hot-summer zones! Now that I have grandkids we usually end up using frozen fruits in popsicles or just as frozen snacks.

So Sara, please explain something to me. I know that some of what drives us to preserve is the mere enjoyment of preserving. But what do you do with canned celery? Your recipes sound so creatively exciting that I want to be there, but I also always have that frugal voice in my head saying "what is its purpose?" Plus, I love the flavor of cooked celery in soups and stews so it sounds like something I want!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2017 :  08:34:30 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I use canned celery along with the liquid in soups, stews, and sauces. I like the convenience of having the celery on hand and I don't have to prep it before using. Another reason is since I cook for one celery would go to waste in my fridge. So when celery goes on sale I like to preserve it. I woke to MS fatigue this morning so instead of canning rest of the celery it is now in my dehydrator.

The dried celery will be used in cooking and ground into powder in the blender for celery salt and to use in blends, mixes, and rubs.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2017 :  10:56:00 AM  Show Profile
That makes sense. Do you cut it up then, so it can be dumped right into the pot? I had a vision of stalks standing upright with savory herbs dancing at their feet :-)
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2017 :  11:44:36 AM  Show Profile
This morning I put up the last 4 & 1/2 pints of tomato sauce for the year. Frosty nights have begun here, so the fruit left on the vines will not ripen and I'm ok with that!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2017 :  1:09:15 PM  Show Profile
Sara, no dancing in my jars. I do chop the stalks. I use a vegetable peeler to peel the celery of most of the strings. If I don't have another use for the celery leaves I can/dry them with the chopped celery.

The tomato sauce sure will taste good this winter. Good job.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2017 :  05:42:07 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I made broth from a ham bone my sister gave me left over from Thanksgiving. Added onion, carrot, celery, and bay leaf. Cooked crock pot on low for 10 hours. Made enough to pressure can 4 pints of broth this morning.

My sister found ox-tail bones in marked-down bin and got them for me so will cook them today like I did the ham bone yesterday. Will can beef broth on Thurs. Tomorrow is my grocery shopping day.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2017 :  08:45:49 AM  Show Profile
Cold weather kept me out my Yellow Rose Cottage most of last week. Over the weekend I canned 3qts & 1pt of chicken broth made from backbones.

Today I am pressure canning 4 pints heirloom Marcella dried beans grown in CA from Italian seed.

Tomorrow I hope to can a new heirloom bean to me. Snowcap was a limited production offer and it has a potato flavor. Looking forward to trying it.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2018 :  05:14:17 AM  Show Profile
I so want to be canning today. My pantry that once was full of my pretty jars now has empty spaces and rows. But and it's a big but it's 15 this morning so going outside to my Yellow Rose Cottage isn't going to happen. I'm using my canned broths quicker than I thought so they need to be replaced. The dried beans are going fast too. I do like the convenience of having pints of canned dried beans on hand.

Next year I will plan better for the winter months when I can't can. Canning for me is a lot like gardening - there's always next year - next season to do it better and get it right.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2018 :  05:11:17 AM  Show Profile
It'll be in the 50s today so I am playing in my Yellow Rose Cottage today. Will cook soup bones and a few beef short ribs in slow cooker for beef broth to can tomorrow. The soup bones and ribs were in the meat marked-down bin.

Of all the different kinds of beef broths I put up I only have 1 pint of ox-tail broth left. I use a lot of broth and it's one of the easier things to can.

I like having my slow cooker out in the cottage. It's always ready to go and off my kitchen counter.

Today I am pressure canning 4 pints snow capped dried heirloom beans. It's a new variety for me.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  05:43:03 AM  Show Profile
Today I'm canning 4 pints of beef broth made from soup bones cooked in slow cooker with carrot, onion, and celery.

Thinking about canning carrots, celery, red onions, and red bell peppers for a soup mix. I have all the vegetables but need spring water before I put it up. Grocery shop on Wed so looks like Thurs will be earliest I can do it. I'm not one to run out to the store for just one item even if it's a couple of blocks from me.

Edited by - YellowRose on Jan 08 2018 05:44:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  08:33:32 AM  Show Profile
I've always done my canning in the summer but I am planning on getting my canners out and going to town over the next couple of months. I have a large amount of sour cherries in the freezer that I plan to make into preserves/jams.

I have so many strawberries in the freezer I may make a batch of jam up with them too.

I know there will more things I'll tackle. There's a Peanut Satay sauce I haven't made in a long time that I've been wanting to get put up. Need to get out my canning books and start browsing! :)

There are some recipes that are best made when citrus is in season which it is right now so that opens up some options too...
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  08:43:23 AM  Show Profile
Jaime one thing about canning in the "off" seasons there is less pressure to get it done right then. What we want to put up is either in the freezer like you have or from the grocery store where I get most of mine. Happy canning!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Farm Kitchen:  What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page