Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Where the Lilacs Still Bloom Next Topic  

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2015 :  4:39:36 PM  Show Profile
I listened to this book last spring (I mainly do books on CD, due to the nature of my work, in the car a lot).
It is the biographical story of Hulda Klager; her life, family, and love of lilacs. She used meticulous care and expertise and hybridized several varieties.

The book just called to my heart. She suffered many losses, but a constant was her garden, especially her lilacs.
The CD version was splendid. I have not read the book version, but I am likely to listen to this again, and will likely buy the book too.
Here's a link
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1400074304/ref=dra_a_rv_lb_hn_it_P1400_1000?tag=dradisplay-20&ascsubtag=2556e479dcd4a77f24fa303f4a4d2104_S

You northwestern farmgals may also want to make a trip to Woodland Washington, to her Lilac Gardens in the spring.
While she has passed, her lilac legacy lives on.
Here is a link to the gardens
http://lilacgardens.com/

Just had to pass this one on.
Lilac season is approaching!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4714 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4714 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  2:35:02 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, I just finished reading this book. It is wonderful! Thank you so much for bringing it to our attention. I would love to see Hulda's beautiful garden some day. I wonder if any of the other farm girls have been there during Lilac Days and could tell us about it!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  3:13:37 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Dawn! What an amazing woman, with so many losses, yet such an inspiration.
I would love to see the lilac gardens too. That should be coming up soon!
This book prompted me to buy some lilacs, and I am so excited that this year I will see some bloom!
One of the varieties is one of the white ones that she got from France; the name escapes me now.
Anyway, thanks for letting me know that you, too, enjoyed this wonderful account.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4714 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4714 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  8:08:00 PM  Show Profile
Lisa-I believe that would be the (Madame) Lemoine French lilac. I wonder if the botanists in France were aware back then of the hard work Hulda Klager was doing and how she was trying to get a cream colored lilac from the Lemoine variety.

We live close to the town of Lombard that has Lilacia Park, a park that is dedicated to lilacs. We go there every Mother's Day, rain or shine, to see the beautiful lilacs, tulips, and daffodils in bloom. The park district owns this park and their website doesn't really do it much justice. Here is the tiny piece they have to say about it:

Lilacia Park, once home to Colonel William R. Plum's lilac garden, is now a park with poetic appeal. The park was bequeathed on the passing of Colonel Plum in 1927. In 1929 the park was landscaped by Jens Jensen of the Chicago Park District. Originally designed as the Plum Memorial Park, the name was changed to Lilacia Park. Since 1929 Lilacia Park has been a source of pleasure for Lombardians and visitors from all over the world.

If you are driving through IL (on your way to Woodland, WA!) you may want to swing by here and see this gorgeous park in bloom during spring. Lilacia Park was in Midwest Living magazine several years ago. That's how we learned about it.

Enjoy your lilacs, try to post a picture of their blooms when you can!
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Where the Lilacs Still Bloom Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page