Join in ... sign up

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Jubilee Annual Celebration
 1. Dream it! Make it! Bake it! Shake it!
 Mini garden Jubilee
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author 1. Dream it! Make it! Bake it! Shake it!: Previous Topic Mini garden Jubilee Next Topic
Page: of 8

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2015 :  6:26:58 PM  Show Profile
How about we celebrate the jubilee with a "fairy" garden. Miniature banners, barns, animals, etc. These gardens are really hot in our area and it will remind me how much fun MJF is to us. Anyone interested in the idea?

grandmother and orphan farmgirl

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2015 :  7:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Bonnie,
It is funny that you should mention this idea. I am actually creating a complete village around the front part of my trailer with a village which includes: Houses, Roads, Horse drawn carriages, fairies, gnomes, farm animals, and a small little village as well as the outskirts of a town. I just bought all the fixings of clay to create some of the accessories and people and will be making the outskirt houses from mother nature.
Becky

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.
Go to Top of Page

callene
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Callene
Atlanta Georgia
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2015 :  7:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Send callene a Yahoo! Message
I have a small knome garden already.Would that count?

Callene C
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2015 :  8:10:35 PM  Show Profile
Callene: absolutely your gnome garden would count but you have to dress it up for jubilee. I wasn't really thinking fairies but more another place to decorate. Mini should be fun.
Rebecca: your village sounds like fun. Please post pictures.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  05:34:46 AM  Show Profile
Love love love this idea! My girls have been working on a fairy garden and my boys feel "left out" (fairies are for girls, lol). So a farm garden would be fantastic. And we could decorate both for the jubilee!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  06:23:30 AM  Show Profile
His Dudeness has set aside the base of one of the big trees just outside our bedroom for my fairy garden. We had a new deck built last year and a bunch of outdoor remodeling, so I am anxious for the weather to warm up enough to get out and get to work on it. I love the idea of dressing up the fairy garden for jubilee! I bet we could shrink the banner down on a good copier to make a banner for the garden.

Take it easy, but take it.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  07:01:07 AM  Show Profile
Listening to you girls talk about your mini-gardens has gotten me excited about making one too. Will do it in a small flowerbed I can see from my computer. Now to gather things up to make it. Next trip to Salvation Army I will look for mini-items. In the meantime I will work on adapting a birdhouse for the farmhouse; My garden will be small: a farmhouse; maybe a barn; chicken coop; flowerbeds & veg garden; can't forget a mini clothesline with wee aprons.

Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  07:14:53 AM  Show Profile
Now this is a fun idea. His dudeness? Love it!!!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  07:31:23 AM  Show Profile
Oh what a great idea! I have this beautiful magestic old oak tree in my back yard. Gosh it must be over 200 years old (my home is over 150 yrs old). Sometimes I sit quietly on the swing and listen to the stories it has to tell. Anyway, I am convince we have fairies that live there! I sure they won't mind if I do a bit of decorating around their entrance!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://musingaboutthisandthat.blogspot.com/
http://www.fibrejunction.com

Edited by - ceridwen on Mar 20 2015 07:34:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  07:47:08 AM  Show Profile
Been thinking about how to make wee-aprons to survive the weather ~ I have old cloth backed plastic tablecloths in different prints. Should work just fine.

It's like playing with dolls and it feels so good to be a 'farmkid at heart' again.

Sara

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  08:58:04 AM  Show Profile
Sara: You're a hoot. Dudeness indeed. But the mini clothesline and aprons are a great idea. Oilcloth would be just great as they can take the rain.

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  09:02:25 AM  Show Profile
Let's not forget to post pictures as these Jubilee mini gardens become reality. I know kids love these because our nurseries have free classes to make them and my hubby and I each made one, his a bonsai tray complete with bridge and mine a camping trailer in a pot filled with sand and cactus. Even our 93 year old aunt wanted to make one. Have fun gals.

Go to Top of Page

callene
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Callene
Atlanta Georgia
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  09:42:53 AM  Show Profile  Send callene a Yahoo! Message
Thank you veryn much.Thinking of a Jubilee banner over the main street in my gnome village.Thinking scrapbook paper covered in clear contact paper,for weather resistance.One big problem already has arised for my village.We have cat attacks,think litter box.Any suggestions?I was thinking pepper.Dogs do not like it,works real good on trash.Someone elsesaid mothballs.Any thoughts girls?
quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie Ellis

Callene: absolutely your gnome garden would count but you have to dress it up for jubilee. I wasn't really thinking fairies but more another place to decorate. Mini should be fun.
Rebecca: your village sounds like fun. Please post pictures.

Callene C
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  10:00:33 AM  Show Profile
Callene, I ground up dried cayenne peppers in blender, and heavily sprinkle around herbs to keep neighborhood cats away. Hint: don't breath the air when you take the lid off blender.

Sara

Go to Top of Page

callene
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Callene
Atlanta Georgia
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  10:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Send callene a Yahoo! Message
Thankyou for the tip.Will do on the breathing.Not to sure my asthma would do so good with that.Lol.
quote:
Originally posted by YellowRose

Callene, I ground up dried cayenne peppers in blender, and heavily sprinkle around herbs to keep neighborhood cats away. Hint: don't breath the air when you take the lid off blender.

Sara

Callene C
Go to Top of Page

GinnyM
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Virginia
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2015 :  09:29:48 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Bonnie!

This is excellent timing! My daughter (17 yrs) and I were just talking last week about refurbishing our fairy garden! What a fun idea! I have some mini gourds that I wasn't sure what to do with them, (they were left over from a mini gourd drum necklace project), they would make great fairy/gnome houses!

GinnyM
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2015 :  09:41:10 AM  Show Profile
Now this is an fantastic idea! I think I'll get my youngest in on this fun! We have a beginning of a fairy garden with her succulents she took to the fair last year.

Farmgirl Hugs!

~April
River Valley Farmgirls
Chapter Leader

~Playing in the Sonshine~
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2015 :  10:29:58 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Great idea, Bonnie!

Becky . . . SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad to see you here! It's been a while!

CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2015 :  8:04:07 PM  Show Profile
The Hobby Lobby store in Mercede, CA., as well as the one in Spokane, WA., has awhole "Fairy Garden" section of goodie sto decorate a garden.. from fairies to gnomes and every thing in between.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2015 :  1:34:53 PM  Show Profile
this is my 'fairy garden' that I started 3 weeks ago,,, not a true fairy garden,,, but it is just a sweet deco element that I placed near my front door.
The bronze casting of the fairy was in the 'Storage Unit' we bought last fall... I had it stashed in the garage with a lot of other stuff that I was planning on yard selling,,, then about 2-3 weeks ago I went to a 'fairy garden/small container gardening' class at our local True Value store,,, got home and remembered my 12" tall bronze fairy,,, thou not true to scale, I don't mind, after all, it's all about the whimsy and making one smile when seeing this...

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Mar 22 2015 1:41:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2015 :  1:39:53 PM  Show Profile
oh and the levels for container gardening are,,,
1- Thriller,
2- Filler
3- Spiller...

something tall/focal point - Thriller
base plants like alyssum or ground cover type plants - Filler
draping/hanging over plants - Spiller

this combo of three makes for a great container garden...now I just need to poke in a few little 'spillers' in my fairy garden.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2015 :  3:14:25 PM  Show Profile
Nice fairy container Grace! Love the watering can!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://musingaboutthisandthat.blogspot.com/
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2015 :  5:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Birdie and I were in Hobby Lobby yesterday . . . I found all the gnomes and fairies. I told Robin I'd been interested in a gnome for a long time. I found a small one . . . for now. I may go back before going back home (we don't have Hobby Lobby at home)
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GinnyM
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Virginia
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2015 :  6:41:48 PM  Show Profile
Awesome fairy garden, katmom! I sigh with jealousy because it is too early to plant outdoors here. But never fear! I am starting some chamomille seeds indoors, pretty soon!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2015 :  08:46:31 AM  Show Profile
I know a young woman who has some major health issues,,, long story short, she mentioned how she misses gardening, so I suggested a 'portable' Fairy Garden. She can use a med size plastic pot/container fill w/potting soil, and add a few alyssums and or cactus plants and then a few little mini deco elements. I told her to get a few interesting shape stones, paint them or write motivational words on them to add to her wee garden... she can set the fairy garden on a small table or on a chair near a window... so when the window is open the scent from the alyssums will waft through her room.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2015 :  08:47:58 AM  Show Profile
CeeJay,,,isn't it almost over whelming all the little fairy garden goodies at H.L...????
One can also go into the miniature/doll house isle for mini stuff for the garden...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 1. Dream it! Make it! Bake it! Shake it!: Previous Topic Mini garden Jubilee Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page