Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Farmer's Market Question Next Topic  

Country Gal at Heart
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

DeeKay
Indiana
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2015 :  10:18:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi! Here's goes I need insurance to sell at the local farmer's market . I called insurance company and was told if I want to sell anything processed such as jelly,jam and such it would cost 450.00 a year for insurance. Does anyone else have to have insurance ? If so who do you use ? How much is it if you sell baked goods ?
Thanks,
Dee Kay

modernpioneermama76
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Rebecca
Cavour South Dakota
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2015 :  8:08:09 PM  Show Profile
I used to sell goat's milk soap and bath products and had to have insurance too. And yes it was about $450 a year too. That was from 2009 to 2012 so I am not sure if the prices have fluctuated or not. Sometimes the requirements depend on your state, what you are selling and the farmers market you are selling at. Food items and anything you put on your skin probably carry the most expensive insurance requirements. Whereas if you were selling flowers or plants, crafts or furniture items, maybe not as difficult or expensive to find insurance. Have you talked about this with the other vendors at your farmer's market? This may be the best place to ask, in your marketing research whether or not you are likely to sell enough product to offset your insurance burden,market vendor fees and your travel expenses associated with doing business in such a venue.

Maybe I am not the best person to ask, I don't want to discourage you in your business. My market was 240 miles round trip for me to attend and when sales dropped to an unsustainable level for me, I decided not to go anymore. My problem was that between my expenses and insurance, I needed $5/bar on my soap just to meet a wholesale price point. My market customers just couldn't bear that when gas was $4+ per gallon, grocery prices were rising and many people were going on unemployment... even though it was a premium product, toward the end only customers who were allergic to other soaps were still buying. I still occasionally make bath products, but just as gifts for friends and family now. My family at this point needs me home to teach them and just be "mom" right now. I may revisit the idea after my oldest son graduates high school... he has special needs and all three kids are homeschooled now (which wasn't the case when I was running my business.)

Farm Families Forevermore
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Farmer's Market Question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page