True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2015 :  10:17:41 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

I don’t know about you, but just about this time every year, I’m aching for a change. As I walk through the house, I feel as if things are closing in around me. Curtains have been drawn for months now, keeping out the cold, opening only on those rare days where the sunlight dances through the clouds. Sweaters and throw blankets that once evoked a kind of cozy sentimentality over the holiday season, now seem to add to the burden of winter doldrums. Dust has settled into nooks, crannies and deep recesses unseen to the naked eye, until, that is, light from the evening candles casts a lovely sheen against them. Cobwebs are beginning to shock the ceiling corners… And, let me tell you, they are angry! I swear this morning one growled at me, swaying and bearing its teeth as I defiantly waltzed by. And the air… it’s so stale, indifferent to the chilly bursts of winter that rush the entry upon homecoming. Even the deliciously spice-scented candles don’t seem to break the monotonous weight embodying our rooms. I need wider, open spaces! I need to feel sunshine filtering through the windowpanes! I crave lighter and brighter! The dust must give way to sparkle and shine! Fresh air must flow through our home as a gentle breeze sways colorful flowers to dancing! Time for a change, I proclaim! Time to wash away those winter blues! Time for the weighted darkness to give yield to the joy of the light! I’ll shout it from our wide-open attic window, if I must: It’s time for spring cleaning!

Alas, if only I could devote an entire weekend and accomplish this task in one fell swoop. I started chipping away at my chore a few days ago, but it’s just not happening quickly enough for me! If only I had a magic wand and a dancing broom! If only spring cleaning could be as delightful as pulling out the Christmas decorations and decking the halls! Although measured through baby steps of progress, I must admit I am already starting to feel lighter, happier. Soon the walls will be washed, the windows will sparkle and brighter curtains will frame the soul of the outdoors. No more down comforters, cold floors and silent greetings of falling snow! Lighter weight blankets will adorn our cozy spring beds; squishy soft bright rugs will greet our toes in the morning; and soon the chirping of the birds’ happy homecoming will join our hearts in greeting the day. And, oh! The scent of fresh lilacs will envelop our home with their joyous perfume! Before I know it, my hands will be sinking into Mother Earth, assisting her in cultivating the dazzling array of plants and flowers that she, too, so longs to see!

I suppose spring cleaning starts in the mind, really. I’m utterly inspired by the joyful beauty of what is to come. Sparkling glass, shimmering light, chirping of birds, cotton-cool mornings, and the smell of the earth are my inspiration. Buckets and mops and rubber gloves suddenly take on a Disney-esque quality; I feel like Cinderella before the ball. Suddenly, I will magically swirl around and the house will be fresh and new again! Like the world around me, my soul will be rejuvenated, for spring will have sprung!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 03 2015 10:21:00 AM

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2015 :  11:33:48 AM  Show Profile
Nini! I know what you mean about it starting in the mind! My mind is still a little cluttered right now, but the sunny days are starting to help!
Here's a chuckle!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb2si7fClqA
If only I had magical singing hypnotist powers! I'd use it on my boys!!!!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2015 :  05:37:57 AM  Show Profile
It's a great day to be cleaning! Single digits outside and the sun is out making my house just right to get all shined up! Thanks for the inspiration Nini and the working song video Ally was perfect!!! Happy Spring Cleaning everyone! :)

Farmgirl Hugs!

~April
River Valley Farmgirls
Chapter Leader

~Playing in the Sonshine~
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4727 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4727 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2015 :  06:48:50 AM  Show Profile
My sentiments exactly Nini! My husband had last Friday off and we washed walls and trim throughout the house. It is quite a huge job when I do the spring cleaning and really appreciated his help. I brought up my Easter decorations yesterday and removed all traces of winter decor from view. The bunnies, tulips, and birdhouse collection that are now out have cheered me up immensely. I am trying not to look at the ice and snow outside my window. It is harder though to ignore our current frigid temperatures. February tied for the 2nd coldest on record for the last 140 years. Not quite the record we like to go for here in the Chicago area (1884 was the last time it was that bone chilling cold).

Stay warm, chin up, get a whip & chair out to show those cobwebs who's boss!
Dawn in IL

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Mar 04 2015 12:36:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6833 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6833 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2015 :  07:21:24 AM  Show Profile
Nini, I enjoyed reading every word. Girl, when you let your fingers 'rock & roll' across a keyboard they write the most amazing things. You have quite a talent and I want to read more of what you have to say.

Now back to the subject of spring cleaning. I started a couple of weeks ago in my kitchen. Putting all the knicky-knacky little things away that will appear again next fall. In a month or two I will have de-cluttered my house then the cleaning can begin. By summer it will be all washed, polished, and swept/mopped cleaned.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2015 :  12:30:14 PM  Show Profile
Ally! I love that! Thank you for sharing! I think the only rodent I'd like helping me clean, though, would be Mickey as the Sorcerer's Apprentice! LOL!

April - So glad you're inspired... AND enjoying some sunlight! We are just in the midst of dreary days here... Guess that means I don't have to touch the windows yet! I can deal! LOL!

Oh, Dawn - I feel for you... I've got to tackle our walls, too - ugh! Although it's not exactly my favorite task, it sure does make all the difference in the world! The house always feels new afterward! Thank goodness for good hubbies who pitch in! :) Your post reminded me... I have spring decorations up in the attic that I haven't taken out in YEARS! Maybe I'll venture up there this weekend to check them out - after battling the cobwebs, of coruse! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Sara - Thank you for your kind words! You are so sweet! I really appreciate you, too, sister!!! :) I started with my kitchen, too. Although I scrubbed, I think it's time to give the cabinets a new coat of paint - the white is just not getting white enough! I had to giggle when you said that your kitchen "will be all washed, polished and swept/mopped clean" by summer... With my son and his buddies constantly trapsing through and foraging in the kitchen for snacks, I'll be lucky if all my efforts last a day! It's okay. I just keep telling myself that the day will come and they'll all be off on their own, and I will really YEARN for their messes. I'm cherishing these moments while they last! LOL! :)

Happy cleaning, girls!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13586 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13586 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2015 :  1:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I put away my February/Valentines Day decor and brought out some white/cream lacy decorations with a few little sheep. Also a touch of St. Patrick's Day, which will go away later this month.
I'm STILL in the process of going through stuff . . . all kinds of stuff . . . purging, giving away, throwing away, etc. I've been trying to pare down my fabric stash and have given away a LOT of big scraps. Also trying to sell a few pieces but that is not going so well.
Anyway, working on it . .
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2015 :  3:55:50 PM  Show Profile
Nini, you make me laugh, Farmgirl!!! Talk about an inspiring call to action for Spring Cleaning!! I dove into that mode last week while my husband was out of town and it felt so good. I hauled off a huge box of stuff to the thrift store and brought out my Easter and Spring decorations. To your cobwebs, we are in the midst of Pine Pollen season and that fine dust is seeping inside like it does every year. Tonight and tomorrow are predicted rain so I hope it washes it down out of the trees. It gets to be such a mess down here this time of year!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2015 :  2:53:50 PM  Show Profile

Okay--here is evidence that I got something done! First task of spring cleaning was my pantry! I wish I had a before photo, but you'll have to trust me that it was crazy!!! I can close my door, I can find my food, and it's all organized with nothing that's expired! Now to keep it that way!

Working on my desk now!!!!

Farmgirl Hugs!

~April
River Valley Farmgirls
Chapter Leader

Edited by - sonshine4u on Mar 11 2015 2:55:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  3:54:29 PM  Show Profile
April, your pantry is to drool over even without the cleaning. But good for you, you're on a roll.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2015 :  12:18:16 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Bonnie, April - your pantry is perfection! Kudos to you, sister! Kudos to YOU!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2015 :  12:17:17 PM  Show Profile
April, I'm with Bonnie, and Nini, my goodness- I could not function with a pantry so neat! LOL. It would never look as neat as your pantry.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3309 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3309 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2015 :  1:19:06 PM  Show Profile
Nini you are a poet.....

I've been getting those pangs as well, but at the moment the thought of cleaning on such a grand scale seems overwhelming to me. We burn wood all winter indoors and the dust is overwhelming not just resting softly on the furniture but deep in the couches and at the edges of the big oriental rug in the living room. As soon as I am able to open my windows wide enough to hear the waves lapping at the shore then I will commence my spring cleaning in earnest. Until then, I will keep the blinds closed and my eyeglasses smudged!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2866 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2866 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2015 :  2:10:57 PM  Show Profile
OH Melody.. You are Me
Add in some leaking chimney flashing that has saturated some interior walls, a malfunctioning stove outlet, and a leaking outdoor faucet, and .... Welcome Home!
I may get the house cleaned by June!
The dust is just a science project at this point. How much before it transforms to the next stage of composition.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6833 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6833 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2015 :  2:16:46 PM  Show Profile
You know what they say (whoever they are) "I don't mind if you write in my dust ~ just don't date it".

I'm behind in my spring cleaning but that's okay ~ it'll be here when I'm ready.

Sara

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2866 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2866 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2015 :  3:01:23 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sara.. I love you

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3309 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3309 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2015 :  3:15:33 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Lisa we are indeed "kindred spirits!"

You remind me so much of my sister...

Melody
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2015 :  05:20:46 AM  Show Profile
You know, Farmgirls, I think spring cleaning is part of our DNA! Last night at my knitting group, the hostess was telling us that she spent the entire weekend and Monday tackling her garage. This week is her spring break from her job and she has plans to dig into every nook an cranny of her house with a vengeance!! We were all smiling and laughing about how good it feels to clean, sort, toss, and recreate. It is down right therapeutic!! It is hard to get motivated when you live where the winter still hangs on, but hopefully April is going to change all of that and make it possible to officially move on to better weather and warm things up once and for all!

Here come Peter Cottontail, Hopping down the Bunny Trail...........................

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2015 :  05:29:30 AM  Show Profile
we got 8+ inches of snow on Sunday...so you are right...it is hard to get motivated when you're still in the tundra...but one corner at a time...right? ;)

Farmgirl Hugs!

~April
River Valley Farmgirls
Chapter Leader

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6833 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6833 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2015 :  09:11:09 AM  Show Profile
The 'throw-away-bug' bit me today. You know when it's just the right time to get rid of all the boxes, peanuts, bubble wrap, bits & pieces of this or that you hang on to just in case you might need it someday.

One big box filled with little boxes and one large garbage bag are now sitting on the curb waiting for trash pick-up today. It's always easier for me to get rid of things on trash day ~ out of sight - out of mind. My little cottage is on it's way to being clean & straight so on good days I can go out there and happily craft to my hearts content.

While I was putting out the trash a city truck stopped to load more fallen limbs from my big oak tree. I thanked the young man for helping me keep my yard clean. When he finished loading the limbs with the big picker-upper on the truck he raked my yard and picked up the smaller limbs that fell to the ground. Made me proud & happy to see a young person do his job well and with a smile.

Sara

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13586 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13586 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2015 :  10:23:49 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Sara,
I've had the "throw-away-bug" for months, very seriously. Started last summer with purging, getting rid of all kinds of stuff in my project/craft room, closets, etc., etc. In the fall I dismantled a camper that had been sitting in our yard for years, hauling the aluminum skin off to salvage and burning the rest of it (nasty!), cleaning out our storage shed (what a transformation!) and am encouraging my hubby to load up stuff for the local salvage yard . . . they buy all kinds of metal and pay more for aluminum.
I'm going to have to encourage him to look at another load or two to go to salvage here pretty soon. I have a box partially filled that needs to go to the thrift. I've hauled LOTS of boxes to our three local thrift stores. It seems never ending!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Mar 27 2015 10:25:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2015 :  11:25:16 AM  Show Profile
Wow April! That's some organized pantry. You are welcome to come organize mine for me! I'll post a before and after picture to show off your amazing talent! lol Not sure I was born with the organizer gene! lol

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://musingaboutthisandthat.blogspot.com/
http://www.fibrejunction.com

Edited by - ceridwen on Mar 27 2015 11:26:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17077 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17077 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2015 :  7:33:00 PM  Show Profile
Well fiddles,,, I guess that means I need to 'gather up' all these Dust Bunnies and set them free to look else where for living accommodations... lol! We are on a 1st name basis!!!! haha!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  7:00:38 PM  Show Profile
I got the bug this week. The cleaning bug is always so exhausting but 1/3rd of my house got royally clean today. I even moved the couches and vacuumed under them. I dusted the window sills too which was rather gross after the winter dust and cobwebs. I am washing all the blankets for the beds and throws that are around the house. Tomorrow is the next third and the master bedroom. My daughters are likely on their own for cleaning, it is just too scary in those rooms. I might get buried alive. The garden will have to wait for better weather. It does make the spring cleaning easier to get done when the weather isn't ready for me to work the garden yet.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  12:58:50 PM  Show Profile
We started a huge remodel last July. Did the outdoor stuff while the weather was good -- removed and replaced doors and windows, built a new wrap-around deck, added a porch, graded away from the basement and added a sliding door, new steel roof -- really big messy stuff! So the inside of the house got some of the drywall dust, etc., when the doors and windows were replaced. Well, then His Dudeness decided that we needed to knock out a couple of interior walls, reverse a staircase and refinish the basement into a guest suite and living area. Oh my goodness! The dust!!!!! I have had electricians and plumbers and carpenters in and out of the house all winter long. Our painter finished sanding the drywall (there's a mess I don't care to endure again!!!) and has started priming the ceiling downstairs. If we can get the plumber to show up when he promises, we should have the main destruction phase completed and the new finishing stages well underway within a few weeks. Spring cleaning has been a losing proposition for me this year, but we are getting there! Every warm day I open all the doors and windows and let the fresh air in. Trying to get ahead of the dust has brought me literally to tears a couple of times over the past few months, but I try to remember that it will be done soon and the house will be so much nicer and it's already a lot healthier since we tore out all the old nasty paneling from the basement and removed all the vermin-infested insulation and ceiling down there. Every time I have to move everything out of one part of the house so we can destroy it -- I mean remodel it! -- I try to throw away as much stuff as possible. I think we are getting there, but wow what a struggle it has been. Looking forward to my floors feeling really really clean someday. (And also looking forward to NOT sharing my bathroom with assorted strangers)

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9269 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9269 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  5:50:07 PM  Show Profile
I have had the Spring cleaning bug for a while. I have managed to take some things to the thrift. Dh made a trip to the salvage yard with stuff that had been sitting in the garage for two years. I have been trying to get that garage cleaned out for more years than I care to mention. So, the decluttering continues and like Sara it is time to get rid of those things "I might use someday". Needing to clean out more of my stash of things in the craft walk in closet. The spare room will soon be occupied and I need to make some room in there. I have been trying to keep up with those dust bunnies keeping them evicted. It is hard with the woodstove still going. I did manage to get rid of some of those evil cobwebs in the corners the other day. I don't know how they seem to appear overnight. Onward and upward in the cleaning up and cleaning out this Spring. Hopefully I'll be done by Summer. Ally I love that movie though I don't think I could deal with rats helping out!

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Spring Cleaning Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page