Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room: Farm Library
 Book Review: The Hope Chest a Legacy of Love
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Farm Library: Previous Topic Book Review: The Hope Chest a Legacy of Love Next Topic  

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  5:50:22 PM  Show Profile
Book Review: The Hope Chest A Legacy of Love by Rebekah Wilson

I would like to send a big thank you to Lavender Rose for the donation of this book to our farm library. I just finished the book and found it to be thoughtful, practical and encouraging in continuing the tradition of the Hope Chest.

You can read about the history of the hope chest and how to start one today. Plus, even if you never had one (like me), you can start one for yourself no matter what your age. Thoughtfully gathering the supplies and the skills for independent housekeeping is for everyone (including not only your daughters but also your sons!).

I enjoyed this book very much and hope you consider reading it.
If you would like to borrow this book, please email me through the chatroom!

http://estleschippfarm.blogspot.com/2015/02/book-review-hope-chest-legacy-of-love.html

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Estle Schipp Farm: Celebrate the Hobby Farm Lifestyle

http://EstleSchippFarm.blogspot.com

https://youngliving.org/starschipp

Master Food Preserver

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2015 :  11:48:20 AM  Show Profile
You are very welcome Starletta. So glad you enjoyed this book. I like it also. Happy to be able to share it with others. Looks like you will be quite busy with this new undertaking. Wish you Great success. Ummmm! Which book do I want to read. Will let you know later.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2015 :  4:56:40 PM  Show Profile
I love that book. A hope chest is a wonderful family tradition. My grandmother had a hope chest, my mother had one, I have one. My daughters have inherited the first two. They have great respect for the honor of the heritage they've received in the symbolism of those big wooden chests.

I have fond memories of helping to fill my mine as I was growing up. When I got engaged, my mother and I put 'trousseau' items in it.

As my girls have grown through the years, I taught them numerous sewing skills and helped them make tablecloths, napkins, pillow cases, dish rags, and other items to put in their hope chests.

I got the book about 10 years ago and used it as a guideline and checklist of the things that would be made and put into their chests.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

kathleen shoop
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pA
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  08:52:46 AM  Show Profile
Wow!!! I would love to do this!

writer, mother, educator--The Last Letter Spring 2011
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  09:02:25 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, I am going to HAVE to read that book! I actually have the hope chest my grandfather gave to my grandmother when they got engaged! It's beautiful! It's now filled with pictures, tokens of love and special memories, but I am hoping one day to give it to our future daughter-in-law to fill with things for her future together with our son. It will be hard to part with, for sure; but I love the idea of uniting family past with family future in such a meaningful way!

Thanks for sharing it with the library, Brenda! And thank you, Star, for being the keeper and sharer of good farmgirl things!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

janjones68
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Jan
Spokane Valley WA
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2016 :  07:31:45 AM  Show Profile
Oops, I think I put my message in the wrong place. Please add my name to the list fr this book. Thank you

janjones
Starting each day as a new beginning.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Farm Library: Previous Topic Book Review: The Hope Chest a Legacy of Love Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page