YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2015 :  09:45:54 AM  Show Profile
I believe that houses are born to be great or small; peaceful or chaotic; welcoming or threatening; happy or sad; full of life or void of warmth.

My little house was born in the throes of WWII. It began at Camp Maxey on the outskirts of Paris, TX in 1944. Camp Maxey was an army training camp. As the war wound down and there was no longer a need for the training camp Camp Maxey was closed. Some of the buildings were destroyed; others were sold.

My house was one of the lucky ones that were saved and moved to it's present location in Paris. I bought it four years ago without knowing it's history, My neighbor, an British war bride told me the story of how my house came to be.

I must say that I have never felt so much at home as I have in this house. I hope to find out more about my house and it's pervious owners.

Houses have stories. What is yours?

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2015 :  7:13:22 PM  Show Profile
Sara...I love the story about your little house:):):)I too have a little house...it started out as a 2 room house which my mother and father purchased from a couple in the neigborhood where my mother grew up...actually it was up the same "holler" where she was reared...they moved into it in the early 1950's...I inherited the home in 2002 when my father passed away...Today...it is a 6 room house which we dearly love...room additions and remodeling came over the past "60" years...much of the remodeling my brother did in the late 1970's but oh the memories:):):)"If walls could talk"!!!My grandmother lived with us from the time I was 4 years old until my mother passed away in 1983...my brother and sister...their spouses and children spent so many wonderful times here at our home...I have friends and family who tell me they feel so much love when they come into our home...such a wonderful compliment that I will cherish always...I still have a few pieces of my parents antique furniture also:):):)...now my husband...stepdaughters...my son and I are making more wonderful memories here in our precious little country home...

I think starting this thread was a wonderful idea!!!

Hugs!

Judy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013

Edited by - wildflower17 on Jan 29 2015 2:22:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  04:41:57 AM  Show Profile
Judy, what a wonderful story. Your little house grew with love and now shelters you and your family.

Even though my house was born in time of war it's a peaceful house. In the beginning it had one purpose and now it has another - to keep me safe and warm.

I know what you mean about what a compliment it is when people tell you your house is full of love. Others tell me my house is so peaceful. One evening at dusk a woman came to my door. She wanted to visit a friend of hers, but wasn't sure which house it was. She told me she picked my house to ask for help because it looked welcoming and safe.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  05:14:55 AM  Show Profile
Sara and Judy, what wonderful stories you have of your old homes! I think it is fascinating to learn about all the history of a place and then think about the people who lived there before you. Thanks for sharing!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  05:21:46 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, so glad you liked & enjoyed our stories. I hope to hear other FarmGirls tell us about their houses.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  05:52:37 AM  Show Profile
Below is a link to a blog post I wrote about the house that raised me.

http://annapearlsattic.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-houses-that-raised-me.html

Our house now is a beautiful log home that was hand built by a gentleman in the 80's. He built it for his family and you can see his love in every part of it. Although he passed away in the house, I have felt nothing but his love in it. If he is ghost, I think he is our house's guardian angel. After all, it was his life's work. We have no choice but to honor it.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  06:12:09 AM  Show Profile
Sherone, I visited your blog and read your story. I loved what you said about you didn't have a picture of the house that raised you, but you did have one of your parents.

Dying is a part of life so it was fitting that the builder of your home passed in the house he loved. Your house sounds like a great place to live.

I bought my bed at an estate sale over 30 years ago; grandchildren were selling the old dairy, house, and all the furniture. They saw no value in any of it.

Their grandfather was born in the bed; his parents died in it; and so did he and his wife. I sleep peacefully in it every night. Life came full circle in it and to me it has great value.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2015 :  05:11:20 AM  Show Profile
The details about your homes just keep getting better and better!! Sharon, I have always wanted to live in a log cabin. The history of your house is a beautiful one!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2015 :  06:14:19 AM  Show Profile
ok, I fixed the picture.....sorry

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2015 :  9:01:42 PM  Show Profile

The building behind me is an old shed. Or my grandparents might have called it their first home as they lived in it before building a house and is where their first child was born.

This is a great thread-I think it sounds like great fodder for my own blog at www.444Farm.com to talk about some of our own history on the farm.

Penny
www.444Farm.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  03:15:28 AM  Show Profile
Glad to meet you Penny. To still have your grandparent's first home is great. What stories that little shed could tell.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2015 :  5:41:22 PM  Show Profile
Three years ago my precious MIL passed away. We bought my husband,s brothers interest in the home. We decided to leave the beach life behind. My FIL built the house I and moved in January 1951. My husband was born 2 months later. Our children spent so much of their life in this house. We had so many wonderful memories. My MIL had many years of bridge club and canasta with their many friends. Christmas parties,holiday dinners, and so many get togethers and more. They kept this house up to perfection for which I am grateful. We decided to move back home and did so this past December 2014. My FIL died in this house and I sleep in the same bed with no problem. I love this house more than the beach house I left behind. We are older now and satisfied to be home. I have many pictures of us so young as well as our children in this beautiful home. I love being here and plan to leave this house to the next generation.

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com

~Trust in the Lord...but row away from the rocks~
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  08:11:30 AM  Show Profile
My "little house" story is pretty recent. My sweetie had a little house in the country where he had lived all alone for about 20 years. He kept the bathroom clean and the kitchen sink clean, but he had pretty much ignored the rest of the poor little thing. He was lonely and unhappy and tried to be at home as little as possible. The first time I walked through the door of the house, I couldn't believe the cobwebs and dust! There wasn't a horizontal surface anywhere that wasn't stacked with "stuff." He was afraid I would turn and run, but I could see that the little house had good bones and had just been neglected -- kind of like my sweetie himself.

So...we began to clean. We hauled trash. We scrubbed and tidied and emptied and lined and cleaned some more. The little house began to smile through her shiny windows and sing down her uncluttered hallway. We decided to give her some new doors and windows and give her a nice big wrap-around-hug of a deck. She began to hum with life and love. Then we decided to knock down a wall or two, reverse a stairway, open up her basement and make it part of our home.

Through it all -- the drywall dust, the paint smell, the wiping and vacuuming and dusting and polishing -- the lovely little house has given us comfort and rest. She welcomes us home each evening and holds us close overnight. She wakes us in the morning with the songs of the birds who live in her trees. We love each other, we love our little house, and she loves us back.

And that's our little house.

Take it easy, but take it.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  09:03:35 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, I love your story and how you told us about your little house, and how you gave her new life. Houses like people know when they are loved and cared for. Here's to you and your true love having many sweet years safe & snug in your little house.

Sara

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  11:22:02 AM  Show Profile
Your stories are so heartwarming. My story is about two houses, well three if you count the one we have lived in for 51 years. I grew up in the city and on the farm in summers. My grandparents had a farm but it was my uncle I loved with. The house was clean and the farm was spotless. A cherry tree outside the back porch where the cream seperator was was my favorite, my aunt made the best cherry pies. Yumm. We raised hampshire hogs, sheep, gurnseys and holsteins, chickens and lots of love.The house in the city was built in 1910 and was like the other houses in the neighborhood. The lady next door I called grandma because she was like a grandma to me.The house I live in now was built in 1949. It is all on one level, of contemporary style but has an interesting past. It was the model house in an area called Oak Hill Park. No oak trees. But an old gentleman came up to me in the yard and let me know that our house had been built on a farm and the two ladies who lived here got in trouble with the law. They didn't pay taxes and said there was a cemetery on their property (not true). The accessor came and and they chased him away. He came back and arrested them. The barn was where our garage is now. Oh, if houses could talk.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  11:29:22 AM  Show Profile
Oh Bonnie! I love that story. The thought of the two old ladies chasing the law off -- reminds me of the Baldwin sisters on The Waltons, or the two old sisters who made moonshine on the Andy Griffith Show.

Take it easy, but take it.
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  3:49:03 PM  Show Profile
What lovely stories you have shared about your home. Stories are so important, they connect us and give meaning to our lives. I love hearing or reading stories about homes, furniture, quilts and whatever. Thank you.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://musingaboutthisandthat.blogspot.com/
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2015 :  12:13:21 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful, touching, and heart-warming stories. More, please!!!!!!!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

ellaandrubys
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Alissa
Westerville Nebraska
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2015 :  6:57:51 PM  Show Profile
I love reading all these stories! Just so sweet and heart warming!! Mine is a little different. Over ten years ago my husband and I finally were able to buy a farm with a home. It's 90 years old. But with all the character stripped out! It was home anyways for 10 years. Unfortunately there were way too many issues to revive it. Foundation crumbling, original wiring...so brittle the wires would just snap when we tried to replace lights, etc. So for the last two years we have been building a new home. It has been a dream of mine for 20+ years to have have my dad build me/ us a home. So we started planning, I drew up the floor plans (I studied drafting and interior design), Found a plot of land...17 acres that his dad owned. We are just a few weeks from being complete. I have loved working with my dad and my brother, who works for my dad!!! A huge blessing to build relationships with them. I here is my blog post about it. I wrote this last fall, so much more has been completed... http://farmerswifequietlife.blogspot.com/2014/10/building-our-home-and-what-i-have.html
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2015 :  1:42:31 PM  Show Profile
Alissa: your home is awesome and your own art studio too. Wow, what a thrill. Congrats girl. God is awesome.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2015 :  1:51:44 PM  Show Profile
Alissa, your home is on the perfect site and what a view. Love the porches.

Sara

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2015 :  3:56:33 PM  Show Profile
Allissa, enjoy your new home! It will be lovely! Thanks for sharing! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://musingaboutthisandthat.blogspot.com/
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2015 :  12:03:51 PM  Show Profile
Sit back and hopefully enjoy my story...it's a bit different. This is a story about Delshangie.......a home built in the Himalayan mountains by an Engishman back in or about the late 20's bought by my husband's family .They used to regularly go there from New Delhi to avoid the heat of the blazing sun in New Delhi.It is a simple home....one bedroom has a fantastic view of the sloping hill. And when there's lightening....oh my, what a view. I used to love to ,with the children every night look at the flying squirrel fly from 1 pine tree to another...the same time every night.

One day I hope to go back there and write a short story concerning this home and then another bigger home About the 2 families,their staff and a ghost.
It's an adventure in itself traveling up the narrow roads,honking at every turn.
That's my story...would love to see more Home stories.

Beverly Gill

There's no place like home
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2015 :  1:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
My current house was literally born out of ashes! My hubby and I built a log house in the mid-70s from logs we logged, milled, planed and put together ourselves. I've never worked so hard in my life. In July 1994 we lost that house in an arson fire but immediately started cleaning up and rebuilding. We call it our miracle house because God just provided everything we needed along the way. The generosity of the community, friends, family and neighbors was overwhelming. Because we had so much volunteer help with a good portion of the cleanup and rebuilding we were able to pay for the new house with the insurance settlement . . no mortgage! Debt free! PRAISE THE LORD!!!

It is a haven! It isn't fancy, huge or pretentious. Simple, comfortable and it is HOME!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Houses with Stories Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page