Join in ... sign up

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Jubilee Annual Celebration
 1. Dream it! Make it! Bake it! Shake it!
 Farmgirl Jubilee 2015
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author 1. Dream it! Make it! Bake it! Shake it!: Previous Topic Farmgirl Jubilee 2015 Next Topic
Page: of 11

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  08:07:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Winnie. Sounds yummy and since I'm not a baker I think I can make this cake. Maybe cupcakes.

Winnie like you I like vintage recipe books. I have a home economics book from 1923 - first published in 1914. Domestic Science - Principles and Application.

Like chocolate cake it wouldn't be Jubilee without fried chicken so here's how to do it from my 1923 book.

Fried Chicken
Method:

Wipe each piece of chicken with a clean, dry cloth; Dredge with salt, pepper, and flour.

Put plenty of salt pork fat or lard and butter in the pan, and sauté the chicken in the hot fat until brown and tender (about thirty minutes.

Only spring chicken ought to be fried, as old birds require longer cooking.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Edited by - YellowRose on Apr 14 2016 08:09:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  08:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I have a small cookbook called "Woman's Club Cook Book - Fairbury, Illinois". It was a club my maternal grandmother was a member of and one of her recipes is in it. There is no date in it, but the cover was made using a piece of old wallpaper. The book is type-set, but not from a typewriter; it had to be printed. I don't know if they sold this small 46-page book or if it was just distributed to members, but my feeling is that it was sold to earn money for the club. It was compiled by the ways and Means Committee and all their names are listed on the inside front page.

Overnight Salad is a fruit salad recipe from the book that sounds like one I loved that my mother made. Maybe this is where she got it?

ENJOY!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  10:50:04 AM  Show Profile
Sara and Linda, I love the old recipes that you shared! Linda, Your book sounds like it has lots of those old go to favorites from generations of family cooking.

Sara, my mom used to save her chicken grease in a can in the fridge and use it a few times before discarding to fry up chicken for dinner. Basically, she did the same prep as your recipe calls for and it sure did make for crispy and delicious friend chicken!

OK, now we have fried chicken, overnight salad and chocolate cake on the Jubilee menu. Who else has a vintage recipe to add?

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  6:56:46 PM  Show Profile
I love the old cookbooks too. I have lots of them. Sometimes the recipes are goofy, such as a recipe for jello with a shredded wheat cake inside. I would think it would get soggy before it set. The drawing looked pretty though.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  04:40:05 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie,
Some of older cookbooks are a hoot. Especially the Jello recipes, some of them just seem strange, but I'm intrigued by the shredded wheat... I do like shredded wheat, not the mini kind, the "old" kind as my daughter would say. They are not easy to find any more.

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  9:33:31 PM  Show Profile
Denise, the recipe is from a magazine published in Minneapolis about 1910. I'll tell you about it at the quilt meeting. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1601 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1601 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  07:48:55 AM  Show Profile
I just love vintage cookbooks. I have one that my Grandmother used. The Boston Cooking School Cookbook. By Fanny Merritt Farmer Boston 1923. She even wrote some notes in the margins.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart
"Smile and be yourself everyday."

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  08:58:12 AM  Show Profile
Linda & Winnie, lovely quilt books you are sharing. I love cookbooks, especially older ones. I will have to look for them in my travels.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer111
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Jennifer
Yantis Texas
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2016 :  10:17:03 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by katmom

I think I will decorate the outside of my lil vtg. trailer in Farmgirl Jubilee fashion,,, including a banner of mini aprons..
Is it May yet?

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 1. Dream it! Make it! Bake it! Shake it!: Previous Topic Farmgirl Jubilee 2015 Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page