Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Candlelight delight Next Topic  

Dare2BUniquelyMe
Sharpshooter / Chapter Guru

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2015 :  7:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
Today I did my hand dipped candle and promptly got my beeswax on my favorite t-shirt. One crayon removal coming up! Other than that, things went pretty well. In order to avoid standing in front of a partially open window to let each layer of wax cool before I dipped again, I eventually located an old pants hanger that I could slide the wick right into (the wick had a metal piece on the end) and then hang the hanger. I made two at once and they smell awesome! I didn't color or scent them, only natural beeswax.

I then tracked down a candle I had bought at Whole Foods some time ago and checked the ingredients. Most of the candles in my home do not list any ingredients on the candle or any web site listed. My Whole Foods candle is made by Shadow & Light (www.shadowandlightinc.com) using soy wax, essential oils (scent is orange & patchouli) and botanicals (herbal coloring). It had a non-metal core cotton wick.

For the best and safest burn, always trim the wick to 1/4". The wick pulls the wax up it as it burns, burning the wax too. As with anything that burns, don't put your face over it to smell it, the smoke won't do a thing for you and could harm you. The smoke from soy is white rather than black. If the wick is allowed to get to long, the flame will get a lot taller and a mushroom shape could develope on the wick. Put out the candle with a snuffer (so you don't splatter wax by blowing, or burn your fingers being clever), and after it cools, trim the wick to 1/4".

Candle making has been a lot of fun. I know I will make more, especially the hand dipped candles. They look fabulous hanging in my kitchen and sitting in my wooden candle holders on the table.

Sherri
Sister 1350

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2015 :  8:14:36 PM  Show Profile
Good for you! With all the rage for scented candles, I never tire of good old beeswax candles. The smell is invigorating and so unique. I use the little ends of my almost-used-up beeswax candles by holding them against the leather belt on my treadle sewing machine as I pump the foot pedal. It doesn't slip if it stays waxed.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2017 :  11:23:35 AM  Show Profile
Wow, MaryJane, I forgot all about that!! Thank you for sharing your tip, it will be used on my "new treadle machine" once I purchase it!

Joanna #566

JojoNH

http://www.RusticMountainPrimitives.com
http://www.eastwooddesignsinnh.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  09:23:55 AM  Show Profile
Sherri, candle making sounds so fun. One of these days I would like to try it. I have seen videos of people who even carve designs in them. Thanks for sharing your tips.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Candlelight delight Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page