Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 essential tools
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic essential tools Next Topic  

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2014 :  6:38:01 PM  Show Profile
I've been reading Weekend Homesteader and found a section for December about essential tools to have. What tools do you consider essential?

http://estleschippfarm.blogspot.com/2014/12/skills-saturday-10-essential-tools-for.html

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Estle Schipp Farm: Celebrate the Hobby Farm Lifestyle

http://EstleSchippFarm.blogspot.com

https://youngliving.org/starschipp

Master Food Preserver

Edited by - star-schipp on Dec 20 2014 6:43:23 PM

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2014 :  06:09:50 AM  Show Profile
The list you posted is pretty good. I know I should wear gloves and other protection, but I don't.

A wheelbarrow or other type cart is a must. I use 5 gallon buckets for everything. I especially like them as organizers for my tools. I need my tools to be portable because I do my own repairs on my rent houses. A big tool box is just too, well, big. And heavy. So, I put hammers and nails in a bucket. Drill and screws in a bucket. Sheet-rocking tools in a bucket. Landscaping tools like handsaws and pruners in a bucket. Each bucket hangs on a hook and I can just 'grab and go'.

I guess my must have tool for every day is my pocket knife. I keep it sharp and use it for so many things besides just cutting. I can dig with it, take splinters out, unscrew or screw a screw, open packages, strip wire, sharpen a construction pencil, score things like shingles and sheetrock, and clean my finger nails at the end of the day.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  11:40:17 AM  Show Profile
At our house all tools are essential. We have collected tools for over 38 years. I love to garage sale and have purchased many tools dirt cheap. Anything for a garden hand spade to a set of huge sockets for hubby's tractor. We have found you cannot have enough tools if you have the room. We have multiple scoop shovels, spades, rakes, hoes, wheel barrows, etc. I also collect household tools too. I have a lot of room and store a lot of extras for the just in case situations. Just the other day I dug through my stash and found an old fashion can opener. It is all important if you need it now or in the future.
Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic essential tools Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page