Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Methods for sanitizing veggies from CSA?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Methods for sanitizing veggies from CSA? Next Topic  

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2014 :  5:11:33 PM  Show Profile
Hello lovely ladies!
I recently became a member of a local CSA (yay!) and they suggest diluting 1tbls of bleach in a gallon of water to sanitize/rinse the produce.

Are there any other ways? I only use bleach to sanitize counters and the sink after handling raw meat and I feel strange dunking veggies in it. Am I just being paranoid?

How do you rinse/sanitize your produce?

Thanks!

“The closest we will ever come to an orderly universe is a good library.”
Ashleigh Brilliant

http://myfrenchreligion.blogspot.com/

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2014 :  05:29:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ashley. I see you have 5 posts....WELCOME!!! You will love being a part of the sisterhood here.

Yikes! Bleach?! If I had to use bleach on food items, I would use less than a Tblsp per gallon. That just seems high. In emergency situations I've read that it only takes about 10 drops to 'purify' water for drinking.

I use vinegar. I keep a spray bottle of 1:1 ratio (vinegar:water). I use vinegar for cleaning/disinfecting just about everything. For apples, I give them a quick spritz and wipe dry. For lettuces, celery, carrots, etc... I rinse them, then dip them into a bowl of vinegar/water and rinse again.

While vinegar may not kill 99.9% like bleach, the acidity still kills and reduces a good amount.

If you 'google' uses for vinegar, you will pull up thousands of resources that describe vinegar as a must have for so many applications from home cleaning, internal health and for skin irritations like sunburn.

Catherine
Sisterhood #76
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2014 :  06:01:36 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Ashley.

Catherine has the right idea about using vinegar instead of bleach. One caution about vinegar - read the label - 5% acidity is required for canning and I would use that strength for cleaning veg/fruit too.

I buy vinegar in large jugs for laundry and for awhile I was buying the genetic brand because it cost less. One day I read the label and it was only 4% acidity so I switched to the store brand.

I buy Heinz vinegar for canning or making herbal/fruit vinegars. All the older women I have known always used Heinz so I do too.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2014 :  03:00:09 AM  Show Profile
I use a vegetable wash that contains grape seed extract. Removes all the nasties from the veggies. Definitely stay away from the bleach. I have also used a vinegar solution.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2014 :  4:58:34 PM  Show Profile
Denise, the grape seed extract is a great idea.

Ashley, there are other essential oils that can be used for disinfecting....tea tree, thyme, oregano, lemon. I haven't tried them as a veggie wash but I have used them in my homemade cleaners.

Catherine
Sisterhood #76
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  12:22:19 PM  Show Profile
I don't like to use bleach either. I've used vinegar and it works well but I think that
Dr. Bronners liquid soap is the best. I use the regular (instead of lavender or other) and can also use it for many other things! Great for cleaning, laundry, showering, hair, etc.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Methods for sanitizing veggies from CSA? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page