Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Open Letter to the Sisterhood
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Open Letter to the Sisterhood Next Topic  

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  06:29:25 AM  Show Profile
Dear Sisters,
At long last I am finally able to take time to reconnect. I used to be Annie in Henderson, NV and was living in a structured retirement community. We moved November of 2013 to Idaho (now I'm Annie in Idaho). I had to get away from the contrived and artificial environment and after a vacation in the panhandle area of Idaho my husband agreed and said, "Okay, call a realtor." We found just under three acres with a wonderful shop building. I have three zones, the house and fenced in yard, a meadow, and forest. So for the past year I have cut and hauled 8 huge slash burn piles, and the same in trailer loads to the dump. The property had been left vacant for some time and needed major cleaning and repairs. (It was built by "family and friends" Ha!) We bought it for the land. So I prioritized by making a to do list with sanitization, safety, and winterization being my guidelines. Oh wow...a list too long to talk about. And one repair would put two more on the list. But now, finally we are emerging from the work. Even though it has been work, we both have been so joyful here. What fun watching the moose, deer, elk, marmots, hawks, and lots of birds down to the baby chickadees (they are bold and come right to you) has been wonderful. In cleaning some of the old dead willow, from the forest I identified over 100 wildflowers, shrubs, trees on our acreage. Yes, I photographed them! I planted a garden for the second time in my 62 years and got an abundance of veggies. My pumpkins grew wonderfully too. So gardening is a fun activity I am enjoying. I found a natural cropping in the forest of Heal-all! And a whole patch of Thimbleberries grew this year under the pines. Wow! The exploration has been so interesting. So this next year it is fruit trees and berries that I plan to add. We just love it here and the lifestyle change has allowed me to implement even more farm girl skills. Even though I have not posted for a long time you have all been in my thoughts. Because of your shared knowledge it gave me the courage to take the leap and touch the earth once again. My husband saw me grow in so many areas with a new skills he had faith I would be able to do well here should something happen to him. We can star gaze again, chop fire wood, mingle with the neighbors over the fence, photograph wild life and after hard labor go "clean up good" and drive to town to browse around. I am thinking of taking up line dancing again! We also attended an amazing harp-guitar concert in Coeur D'Alene. This note doesn't even begin to capture the richness and new discoveries moving rural is providing us. I am writing this note mainly because I want you to know not only that I am alive and am well, but my life is enriched because I discovered Mary Jane Farm girls. Mary Jane and each of you have been my springboard. Not just to keep a going, but to thrive and grow and enjoy the earth we are born into. I now can sing out loud on my acreage whenever I want to. Best to you now! Be well my sisters.

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  07:26:58 AM  Show Profile
Wow what a wonderful 'note'. Congrats to you for allowing yourself and hubby to move forward. It is amazing the wonders we find in ourselves when connected back to Mother Earth. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  07:43:36 AM  Show Profile
Sweet dear Annie in ... Idaho! I knew you'd moved here, such good news. Line dancing for sure. We'd better get to that list soon. Mine has learning to play a Celtic harp on it, oh, and maybe some dancing also. Let us know how it goes. Stay in touch dear one!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  07:57:47 AM  Show Profile
Annie! I'm so happy for you!!! And SO glad to hear from you!!! I just love your letter, and am so glad you've found time to catch us up on your world! 'Sounds like quite an exciting adventure... I'll be looking forward to hearing more as you have time! Be well and enjoy everything to the fullest! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  08:07:17 AM  Show Profile
hi Annie...how wonderful! what a wonderful note...I felt like I was there as you described it all. I loved it.

http://www.naturemaiden.com/ Handcrafted Soap & Candles
http://saratoga-rose.blogspot.com/ My published books & other writing.
http://modern-day-laura.blogspot.com/ Filled with everything I love!
http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/ Vintage Sewing Machine Parts
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  08:26:42 AM  Show Profile
Annie....I just love your story. You indeed sound like your world is full of joy and adventure. I am so very happy for you.

Farmgirl #5111
Farmgirl of the month October 2014
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  09:06:44 AM  Show Profile
Annie, I'm so happy you were able to move out to the country! I think I would shrivel up and die in a retirement community too. It sounds like you've been having so many adventures and a lot of exploring. It does a heart well to do some physical work and discovery along the way. Congratulations and continue the fun!

~April :)

Farmgirl Hugs!

~April
River Valley Farmgirls
Chapter Leader

~Playing in the Sonshine~
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  09:25:59 AM  Show Profile
So howdy fellow Idahoan where are you located? I am in Orofino ID population 3000. And Love it.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  09:38:38 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for your wonderful replies! I am just outside of Coeur D'Alene toward Sandpoint.
Take care now,
Annie

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  12:05:23 PM  Show Profile
Annie, I have visited friends the past two summers who live near Sandpoint and it is a beautiful part of the country! Congratulations on wrestling down the property to be able to move forward with your plans! I can't wait to hear more about all of your new projects and I am delighted that you and hubby have found a place that feels just right!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  2:35:44 PM  Show Profile
What a delightful note. Peace to you and your hubby. You must be in heaven.

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2014 :  12:16:13 PM  Show Profile

Hi again,
I thought you would enjoy seeing a photo of the Papa and Mama Moose. They mated to the full moon this past October. She has a baby but more than likely another one on the way. Yes, I used a long lensed camera!
Have a good day,
Annie
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2014 :  12:40:25 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
YAY for you Annie! Loved your story! Enjoy your new life! Glad you've reconnected!

Love the moose pictures too!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2014 :  2:36:10 PM  Show Profile
Congrats! Love your story and look forward to hearing more about your lovely new life.
Go to Top of Page

auntjenny
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Jenny
San Luis Obispo CA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2014 :  1:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Send auntjenny a Yahoo! Message
I sure enjoyed reading your post. Sounds like you are really blooming!

Dream like you have a lifetime ahead of you. Live like you only have today.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2014 :  1:58:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi Aunt Jenny,
wow, you live in SLO! I lived in Paso Robles for 14 years but I worked in SLO for many years at Cal Poly. What wonderful countryside. Yes, I graduated from Cal Poly, but way back in the 80's. Yes, I have always been curious about the world and I have always been pro-active in attaining my goals. I had to stay in limbo for a few years in Henderson, NV while we helped watch over my husband's dad who had bladder cancer. (yes it took four adults to take turns to be grandpa's advocate and caregiver). He passed away having lived a full life and the time we had with him was great. After that the housing market let up just a bit enough for us to list our home for sale and continue on our pathway doing things more in tune with who we are. It is wonderful to be out in the countryside yet have many conveniences. In no way am I living off-grid, although if I were in my twenties I would consider that. But now in my sixties and my hubby 70 we have a decade or more of being able to romp around doing whatever we want. Hubby had to say "yes, sir" in the military for 39.5 years so he is loving just doing his own projects in his shop and being retired. I never had to give him a honey do list because he makes them up all on his own. HA! Just the kind of person to move to the country with as there is so much to do, invent, and maintain. Wow, SLO's farmer's market is the best. Best to you now!
Annie
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2014 :  6:52:53 PM  Show Profile
Annie,
So good to see you here again! Wow, sounds like you are reaping wonderful benefits from your move. Loved reading all you are up to and the moose. Love that photo! Thanks for sharing it ad I look forward to hearing more.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16960 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16960 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2014 :  09:49:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh Annie, how awesome!
and you are just a hop-skip-and a jump from Spokane,,, my favorite place for Junktiquing!
(oh, and Rathdrum & Post Falls has some great Thrifts too!)

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Nov 10 2014 09:50:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2014 :  2:32:33 PM  Show Profile
Annie!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you. What a wonderful description of your life now. And thanks for the beautiful pictures. Awesome, for sure. I can't wait to see your next post.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2014 :  11:08:09 PM  Show Profile
Fantastic. Keep sharing your photos and stories. Wonderful life you're leading. So happy for you!

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/ThymeVintage
Go to Top of Page

Terralea
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Terra
Midland Michigan
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2014 :  06:19:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Annie from Idaho. I was in Couer D'Alene in 1965 for the only Girl Scout Roundup the Girl Scouts ever had. I absolutely loved the area and fell in love with the west and the mountains and the trees and....well....I could go on and on. I traveled through there last year on an adventure with a female friend and asked about the area. We (13,000 Girl Scouts)camped on or near an old military base and stayed for nearly 3 weeks. We went on nature hikes and sang our hearts out. It was a pivotal point in my life and at the ripe old age of just 15 became comfortable in my own skin. Having come from an alcoholic lifestyle that was no small thing. I have gone west every year since about 1982 and even took a job at the State Hospital in Wyoming for several weeks. It was only then that I looked east and realized I could not have my dream of moving west at the expense of loosing the years of growing up that my granddaughters would have.

I am glad for your new adventure and wish you the best. The lifestyle will keep you healthy and enrich your life beyond measure. For you Idaho sisters, if you know of the area that the Girl Scouts stayed could you let me know it's where abouts. Honestly, I think someone my age (65) would remember trainloads of girls overtaking their area and singing their hearts out.

Love you all...keep your spirits strong.

Terralea
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2014 :  09:10:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi Terralea,
I am glad you have wonderful Girl Scout memories. I have been a Girl Scout Leader in the 1980 - 90's taking the troop from Daisy's all the way through the silver award in high school. From the internet research I did it states that the Roundup event you talk about was held at Farragut State Park, (then called Farragut Reservation) about 20 miles from Coeur d'Alene toward Sandpoint. It is near Lake Pend Oreille and is beautiful! Farragut State Park is the former site of Farragut Naval Training Center. One can go camping here to this day and several roundup events over the earlier years have been held with Boy and Girl Scouting gatherings. If you have Google Earth you can soar the skies to take in a view of the park. They even have day cabins now one can rent (cover in case of rain). Go to http://www.girlscoutroundupreunion.com to learn of a reunion gathering held at Schweitzer Mountain Resort Sept. 13-18, 2015 in Sandpoint, ID to celebrate 50 years of the event. It is clear this event impacted many young women.
Best to you!
Annie

Edited by - AnnieinIdaho on Nov 17 2014 09:42:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2014 :  3:23:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Annie,
What a beautiful, inspirational letter! Thank you for sharing. And oh my, the moose-how beautiful!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2014 :  10:30:17 PM  Show Profile
Anne, many would say you are living the American dream Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

kymomma4
True Blue Farmgirl

516 Posts

RoDonna
Frankfort Kentucky
USA
516 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2014 :  7:17:13 PM  Show Profile
Welcome home Annie!!! I loved the picture of the moose. Keep living those dreams. That's what freedom really is. God Bless you.

RoDonna

Farmgirl #2361
"Blessed is the farmgirl who helps make the world a better and healthy place" ~ Me

"For she is clothed with dignity and strength and without fear of the future"-Proverbs 31:25
www.marykay.com/rcarson4
www.pinterest.com/kymomma4
Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Open Letter to the Sisterhood Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page