Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 The Hurricane Box
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic The Hurricane Box Next Topic  

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2014 :  05:43:04 AM  Show Profile
I've lived near the Gulf my whole life and have hunkered down for numerous hurricanes. Down here, a lot of people have "hurricane parties" where family/friends will gather at one home to weather out the storm.

As a kid, I loved hurricane parties. I was in blissful ignorance to the dangers of the coming storm and was just so excited to have so many people at our house. It really was a party for the kids.

My mom had a huge box we called the "hurricane box" that contained emergency supplies like batteries and flashlights. Also in that box were canned goods that were not normally in our diet/meals. For example, cans of Ravioli and cans of Vienna Sausage. Hurricane season was the only time I got to eat those foods. Whatever was left over in the box after the hurricane season, we'd eat it up. So, while a lot of people eat Chef Boyardee Ravioli on a regular basis, it was a treat for us.

Fast forward to my adulthood...I've raised my children with the same experiences. When we would grocery shop and they'd ask to eat the Ravioli, I'd respond that it was 'hurricane food' and they'd have to wait.

I'm sure most of y'all have things your family prepared for....tornadoes, snow storms, etc... What routines or traditions did you have for preparing?

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2014 :  6:37:50 PM  Show Profile
We didn't really have an "traditions" for preparing for hurricanes, tornadoes, and storms, etc. We always canned and froze stuff from the garden and livestock or game that was brought home. My mom never did any special shopping for those times. We always kept flashlights and batteries and candles on hand "just in case". We never had parties, I bet that was kind of fun though. The main things that we did when a storm was coming was to make sure the vehicles were parked in one of the pastures out of the way of power lines and trees, gates were tied open so the animals could get to wherever they wanted to go either in the barn or the pastures, and we kept all pastures open during those times. The only other thing that we would do is fill containers with water in case the power went out and we'd make sure that the hand pump was in good, clean condition if we needed to put it on the well. Then, all electrical stuff was turned off and unplugged and we either found something quiet to do (you could not be loud in a storm like that because it could draw the storm to the house according to my dad) or we would sit on the front porch and watch it pass, then get on with any cleanup.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2014 :  08:04:47 AM  Show Profile
Rachel, you reminded me of a couple of things. We also parked (and still do) the vehicles out in a pasture away from trees and on higher ground. As long as the winds weren't over 70 mph we could sit on the porch and watch the storm.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic The Hurricane Box Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page