Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Any food storage ladies out there?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Any food storage ladies out there? Next Topic
Page: of 2

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2018 :  4:30:58 PM  Show Profile
Mary,
I'm sorry I ever missed this post. I think variety of methods are a good idea. I've found that each has it's advantages. The smaller mylar bags would be great to throw in a bug out bag, or to build your own 5 gallon emergency bucket, which is great because you can customize it for the individual. Ready to use 72 hr emergency buckets are available that contain various meals. Emergency buckets are excellent to have in vehicles too. You just never know. Since my eldest son has been on his own, some of the gifts I've given him during the holidays have been things like emergency food buckets, life straws, emergency noaa radio, canned food, first aid kits, etc. I always emphasize to him the importance of being prepared. Even with a small yard, you can still grow food in containers, like a 24" diameter container and add a tomato plant & trellis. You could also add basil and oregano to the container. In a window box you could plant lettuce/greens or herbs. In a hanging basket you could do a cherry tomato.

When I first started with food prepping it was all about canning. After doing this for some years now I realized that some things are better canned, others frozen, some dried, and others fermented. I love trying various methods. We have an extra chest freezer, which I love filling up with vacuum sealed meals that I make in bulk, and can then heat up quickly if we lose power, or have on hand if i simply don't feel like cooking dinner.

At this point I'm using a variety of 5 gallon buckets, mylar bags, #10 cans, and rice, beans, pasta and oats in bulk. I also have dehydrated vegetables from the garden. We bought 66 gallon plastic bins to hold things like canned goods, Mary Jane's food :), coffee, vacuum sealed pouches, and other things like life straws, emergency garden seed, etc. Everything is currently in the basement, so I have to make sure it's all sealed from mice and kept clean. We have water in gallons, but its bulky. Once we move we will have water barrels and filtration set up.

Barbara, The half gallon jars are great for that. I also make kombucha in a half gallon jar. Lately, I've been using my quart jars for bulk herbs, botanicals and spices that I've been stocking up on. I like to make teas, salves and natural remedies. I've also use quart jars for vacuum sealing dried goods like oats, rice that will be in long term storage.

------------------------
Lil' Chefs Cookbook- Delicious Recipes for Toy Ovens - http://www.vintage-toy-ovens.com/

Vintage Sewing Machines, Original Parts & Related Book Titles - http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/

Handcrafted Artisan Soap https://www.etsy.com/shop/naturemaiden
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Any food storage ladies out there? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page