YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2019 :  2:50:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Betty, good to see you again. It's been awhile. I'm the Sara who lives in Paris, TX without goats.

I use the dried mushrooms mostly to make chicken mushroom broth or plain mushroom broth. I do use them in spaghetti sauces; soups; and stews.

You are keeping your dehydrator busy. I like to make blends too - they're so handy to have in the pantry.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

margie38572
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Margaret
Crossville TN
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2019 :  8:55:14 PM  Show Profile
I've no idea how to dry food. I know that I should learn since my husband grows lots of things. Herbs are what I'd like to dry. Can I leave the leaves of basil out on a towel to dry? How about other herbs?
Farmgirl #7915

Margie
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2019 :  04:04:10 AM  Show Profile
There are alot of different ways to dry food. I used to have an oven with a pilot , and i would put herbs on a paper towel on trays and dry them. You can hang them in a place where they will not get dusty yet has air flow. a dehydrater makes life easier though. a good investment, and you can maybe find them on yard sales or thrift shops.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2019 :  05:38:07 AM  Show Profile
Margie I have dried herbs in paper sacks. Poke holes all over the paper sack so there's airflow. After washing and letting the herbs air dry put the herbs in the paper sack leaves first. Gather top of bag around the stems; tie with twine - twist tie - or whatever works and hang.

Another quick way to dry herbs without dehydrator is layer the herbs in a basket and hang underneath a slow running ceiling fan. If the fan is on high speed you will be picking up herbs all over the room - been there - done that.

When drying herbs flat or using a dehydrator take large leaves off the stems. Small leaf herbs can be dried on the stems.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2019 :  08:07:50 AM  Show Profile
Over the next couple of days I'll be drying 2 very big Texas 1015 sweet onions. I will use them later on when I have cucumbers for bread & butter pickles or squash for pickles. Having the dried onions will make it easier for me. One less thing to prep at canning time.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2019 :  3:06:42 PM  Show Profile
I enjoy having dried onions for everyday cooking as well. Though i do dry my outside......smell gets a bit strong. hehehe Though i usually grow yellow onions. Sara your big sweet onions sound yummy.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2019 :  3:16:43 PM  Show Profile
Michele for everyday cooking I like yellow or red onions - Texas 1015 sweet onions are a treat.

A couple of years ago I dried Vidalia onions and ate them like candy they were so good. I ought to do that again.

Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2019 :  6:18:06 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by YellowRose

Michele for everyday cooking I like yellow or red onions - Texas 1015 sweet onions are a treat.

A couple of years ago I dried Vidalia onions and ate them like candy they were so good. I ought to do that again.

I am in the process of drying onions right now. I have had them on for over 24 hours and they are still somewhat soft. Some of them are dry now and I have tasted them. I can't believe how delicious they are dried. I love them. I finally set the temp to 130 degrees. I hope they dry out a little faster now

Life gets better with age

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2019 :  05:17:44 AM  Show Profile
Lori I dry onions at 135. On some things I have raised it to 145. It takes a little time to know a dehydrator and what it will do. This batch of onions I rough chopped in food processor. Chopped dry quicker than slices. It was also one of those days when I was having trouble holding a knife.

Hint: put parchment or wax paper on drying trays. Helps with clean up. I have found wooden spoons work really good to stir the drying veggies or scrape them up when they stick.

Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2019 :  6:39:17 PM  Show Profile
I dried some Vidalia onions and it took over 48 hours. I sliced them like the directions stated. I placed the slices in the dryer so that they were not touching each other, set the heat for 125 and turned it on for 18 hours as stated. Should I have pulled the slices apart so that they could dry faster? I don't want to spend that much time drying onions.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2019 :  6:40:36 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Lori I dry onions at 135. On some things I have raised it to 145. It takes a little time to know a dehydrator and what it will do. This batch of onions I rough chopped in food processor. Chopped dry quicker than slices. It was also one of those days when I was having trouble holding a knife.

Hint: put parchment or wax paper on drying trays. Helps with clean up. I have found wooden spoons work really good to stir the drying veggies or scrape them up when they stick.

I should have read your post before I wrote mine. Thank you so much for your help. I am new to the drying thing and was getting a little discouraged.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2019 :  02:59:14 AM  Show Profile
I have thyme and garlic drying right now. I usually start them at "herb" setting on my dehydrator and then turn it up. Otherwise they do take days to dry out. May garlic was last years, and starting to get close to sprouting.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2019 :  04:54:40 AM  Show Profile
Michele one of the things I like about drying is you can do small batches like with your garlic beginning to sprout.

We have FarmGirls new to drying so I thought it would be a good idea for us to pass on what we have learned. I am always on the look out for something new to dry or a new way of doing it so I will learn from you too.

I have mentioned using parchment or wax paper to line trays. I also use wax paper to dump whatever I have dried and then it's easy to funnel into glass jars.

Edited by - YellowRose on Jun 24 2019 04:55:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2019 :  05:30:07 AM  Show Profile
An after thought. At the bottom of the bowl that held the chopped onions was almost 1/4 cup of onion juice. As I mopped it up with a paper towel so I could dry the last of them it struck me why didn't I drain the juice off and freeze in ice cube trays. It would be great in soups & sauces. Next time.

The next time I dry onions I think I will let them sit in the fridge for a day or so and then drain the onion juice off. Should take less time to dry the onions and I'll remember to save the juice for later use.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2019 :  2:53:17 PM  Show Profile
the onions will give alot of juice. I never thought about saving the juice either Sara. I do have two rows of yellow onions planted this year. I freeze some and dehydrate a bunch. My garlic was done this morning, so i put it in my old coffee grinder and I have dried minced garlic, sort of, and some powdered. Worked out pretty good i think. So i picked more strawberries this morning and have 2 trays drying. My husband and myself liked have dried strawberries around this winter. Good on cold and hot cereal. good luck Lori and Margie on learning to dry foods.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Krissel
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Vicki
Sebring FLORIDA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2019 :  5:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Krissel a Yahoo! Message
I have really enjoyed the sharing on this thread! I am not actively drying anything but I will be able to get started at anytime with the insight and knowledge shared here! Good reads and I thank you all especially Sara.

Farmgirl#7588
Laughter makes the heart strong!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2019 :  02:16:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Vicki, I have learned a lot from others who post here since the first post in 2014. Who would have thought we would still be going strong 5 years later.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2019 :  08:09:01 AM  Show Profile
Drying today herbs harvested because they were growing out of the raised beds into walkway. Not a lot of each herb but they needed to be pruned. Chives; Greek oregano; Syrian oregano; applemint; and rosemary. Also last of green onions started from sets. Pruned pennyroyal and sage to put in the Yellow Rose Cottage and around red cabbage plants to deter pests.

Earlier we were talking about drying herbs for blends. Will chop chives and green onions in food processor. Add salt and dry to make chives green onion salt. Will let you know how it turns out.

Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2019 :  10:32:40 AM  Show Profile
That reminds me I have to dry and harvest my herbs. It's been so busy here, buts its a lovely time of year. I'll be harvesting a pepper from my garden today for wraps I'm making for dinner. Yummy

Vintage Sewing Machines, Original Parts & Related Book Titles - http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/

Handcrafted Artisan Soap https://www.etsy.com/shop/naturemaiden

Lil' Chefs Cookbook- Delicious Recipes for Toy Ovens - http://www.vintage-toy-ovens.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2019 :  10:50:47 AM  Show Profile
Connie, it is a busy time of the year but playing with herbs is so much fun.

All of the herbs are dried and in their little jars. The chives onion salt is drying. To 1 cup of C & O I added 1 cup Kosher salt; mixed; and spread it out on two trays.

Didn't have enough of the rosemary or Sicilian oregano to really mess with so I added it to the of little jar of Herbs de Texas - my play on Herbs de Provence. When I have a smidgeon of herbs I add it to the jar and use it in soup & sauces. Doesn't matter what the herb is I add it.

Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2019 :  10:54:14 AM  Show Profile
Sara I agree

Vintage Sewing Machines, Original Parts & Related Book Titles - http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/

Handcrafted Artisan Soap https://www.etsy.com/shop/naturemaiden

Lil' Chefs Cookbook- Delicious Recipes for Toy Ovens - http://www.vintage-toy-ovens.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2019 :  7:18:31 PM  Show Profile
Yes,I am back! Have really missed everyone!

This is something i need to do for my son as he uses mushrooms a lot in his cooking!

quote:

Hi Betty, good to see you again. It's been awhile. I'm the Sara who lives in Paris, TX without goats.

I use the dried mushrooms mostly to make chicken mushroom broth or plain mushroom broth. I do use them in spaghetti sauces; soups; and stews.

You are keeping your dehydrator busy. I like to make blends too - they're so handy to have in the pantry.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2019 :  7:20:42 PM  Show Profile
That blend sounds really good. I did a colorful bellpepper/onion blend. My chives are next to dryplus I am needing to trim the basil again.

quote:

Drying today herbs harvested because they were growing out of the raised beds into walkway. Not a lot of each herb but they needed to be pruned. Chives; Greek oregano; Syrian oregano; applemint; and rosemary. Also last of green onions started from sets. Pruned pennyroyal and sage to put in the Yellow Rose Cottage and around red cabbage plants to deter pests.

Earlier we were talking about drying herbs for blends. Will chop chives and green onions in food processor. Add salt and dry to make chives green onion salt. Will let you know how it turns out.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2019 :  7:25:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Lori! Welcome to the drying world! You will have much fun drying everything.I used parchment with my bell pepper / onion blend. Made cleanup really easy and unloading the trays easier. What type of dehydrator do you have? Mine is a Nesco.

quote:
Originally posted by loribeck

quote:

I should have read your post before I wrote mine. Thank you so much for your help. I am new to the drying thing and was getting a little discouraged.

Lori Beck

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2019 :  7:50:04 PM  Show Profile
I am getting ready to start drying my mints. I have peppermint, spearmint, chocolate mint, and candy lime mint. I am a tea drinker and I love any kind of mint tea. I thought I would dry leaves to make my own tea this year. You girls sure do know a lot about drying. I am learning a lot by reading your posts.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What are you drying? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page