JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

701 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
701 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2014 :  05:30:17 AM  Show Profile
The first time I saw her, her brown hair hung in front of her dirty face. She wore an ill fitting jacket, a t-shirt, and pajama pants. I started to say she should zip up her coat—the late November weather was very chilly—but then noticed that the zipper was broken. I smiled at her, and she stared back at me.
“Shianne, this is Matt and Jessie,” her social worker said. She nudged the girl toward us.
“Hi, Shianne,” I said. “It’s nice to meet you.” She continued to stare.
The social worker handed Shianne a scrapbook. I had made the scrapbook weeks before, including as many aspects of our lives as I could: pictures of us, of our family, of our house, of our pets. “Don’t you have a question about one of the pictures in your book?” the social worker asked.
Shianne nodded and flipped through the pages. “Here,” she said, jabbing with a finger at a picture of Matt and I with Mickey Mouse, taken at Disney World. “What’s the deal with this?”
I smiled. “That’s Mickey Mouse, of course,” I said.
“Don’t know him,” she replied.
Nine years old, and she didn’t know who Mickey Mouse was.
She also didn’t know what family was. After being bounced around family members her entire life, she was put up for adoption.
After that first meeting, she came to stay with us. She screamed at us and tore at us with her claws. She was frightened and overwhelmed. She didn’t understand what was happening, why she was with us. She didn’t understand the roles of family members, what a family was, what a family did. For months, I worked day and night to assure her she was safe, that she could trust me, that we were her “forever family.” The screaming and scratching continued. For every step forward, we took two steps back. I’d fall into bed after she finally fell asleep and burst into tears. I worried we had done the wrong thing. I worried we weren’t the right parents for her.
Spring came. And Mother’s Day came. I had been warned by the social worker not to make a big deal of the day, that “mother” may not mean the same thing to Shianne as it did to me. But on that special Sunday morning, I was awakened by a small hand tapping on my shoulder. In her hands she held a piggy bank made out of a coffee can. She wore a wide smile. “I made this for you in school,” she said, thrusting it at me. “There’s a card inside.” I pulled it out.
The front said, “To the best mom I’ve ever had.” And on the inside, it said, “Love, your daughter, Shianne.”

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl #134

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2014 :  07:06:38 AM  Show Profile
Wow! That is a great story. I hope days are a little simpler but so glad you all found each other.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2014 :  07:19:33 AM  Show Profile
JessieMae - Your story had tears running down my face! Thank you for opening your home, your heart, and your family up to this precious child! Praying things are better now!!!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2014 :  11:53:56 AM  Show Profile
Brought tears to my eyes. Hoping things are a bit smoother now. Love found her.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

auntjenny
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Jenny
San Luis Obispo CA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2014 :  5:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Send auntjenny a Yahoo! Message
Aw jessie... speaking as an adoptive mom of 4 - plus another 2 "homemade"kids... I know thst feeling. What a sweet story.

Inside me there is a skinny girl crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2014 :  06:28:17 AM  Show Profile
Jessie,

Thank you so much for sharing! What a blessing you and your husband are to Shianne. I have much respect for you and all who adopt. It looks like Shianne is feeling secure now, praise God.

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2014 :  12:07:00 PM  Show Profile
a zillion brownie points to you for not giving up on her, so many others would have, it breaks my heart to see so many kids broken by the hell that some put them thru...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

JerseyGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Michele
Southern NJ
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2014 :  7:23:58 PM  Show Profile
Bless your heart for giving her such love!
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic The Best Mom She Ever Had Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page