oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2014 :  3:14:40 PM  Show Profile
what it takes to really become a farmer/rancher, the blood, sweat and lots of tears, the complete matter of fact of what your life will be/become...I've had so many over the years want me to help them put together their farm/ranch, and they've done no true nitty gritty research, they can't believe how hard the work is, how dirty and sweaty (Even in the dead of winter), don't understand crop failure, animal loss, broken equipment, no vacations, no sick days, etc, etc, etc...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  10:07:07 AM  Show Profile
I guess nobody thinks much of my idea,lol...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

carolj
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Carol
Waynesboro Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  3:49:42 PM  Show Profile
Oldbittyhen, thanks for giving an honest picture of farm life. Mary Jane makes me earn for it, but I recognize the reality. It's just like when you watch a movie set anywhere in the world at any time of the year and no one swats a fly or mosquito. But truthfully, would you change a thing?

Blessings,

Carol
Farmgirl 1823

Sow what you want to reap.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  6:47:55 PM  Show Profile
I have never been a Farmer...but those I know...work their backsides off!

I am a Gardener, that is all I have ever wanted to be, and I know that feeling the dirt
in my hands and beneath my fingernails...fills that passion for me. But Farming is a
24/7 job that takes more guts than glory.

People who want the Farm life...are often people who need to just Garden to fulfill their
dream.

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch

Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2014 :  6:49:47 PM  Show Profile
I totally agree with you. I think lately people jump into a lot of things without thinking it all through these days. Maybe because there are easy ways and shortcuts for so many things they think farming will be one too. I am a veterinarian and find people every week that got a pet without learning anything about the type of pet or breed. Last week a guy brought in a lizard he had bought at a pet store weeks ago. He didn't know what to feed it, where to keep it, how hot to keep eat, and when I asked him if he knew what kind of lizard it was he had no idea. He easily spent $75 on a lizard he doesn't know anything about. I had to tell him he now has to buy a heat lamp, a full spectrum lamp, a different diet, and vitamins, as well as increase the humidity of the environment. It is just a lizard but if he wants it to live maybe he should treat it right. We get calls all the time from friends who don't know how to take care of the cows, goats, chickens, pigs, whatever they bought for their "farm." We don't farm really but we started small with our plans. Each year I add more farmgirl lifestyle to our home. Once comfortable with each step I can add more. We of course are both employed so farming is a choice for us.

When I first read your comment I really wanted to say amen! I just didn't really feel that was enough of an amen so I didn't. People in general just don't think things through.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2014 :  4:05:51 PM  Show Profile
Carol, no I would never ever change a thing about my life, but what I really feel for is the animals that suffer from ignorant people who think they should buy a doz of every farm animal there is and don't even have pens/corrals/barns, etc yet, let alone know how to feed them,like Emily said...I worked for a Vet for many years, as a nurse, sugical help, 2nd pair of hands etc, and saw alot of horrible things because people don't know what they are doing, not just with livestock, but comman pets too, and then idiots with exotic animals, I won't even get started there,lol...so making a book which shows the truth in words and pictures just might save some animals, and humans too...

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9204 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9204 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2014 :  4:57:11 PM  Show Profile
A book would be a good idea. Farming is not a job it is a way of life. Day in day out at all hours. Not to say it is harder than other walks in this life but different. Sometimes farming gets "glamorized" so to speak. Everyone decides it must be the life for them without knowing what it really entails. Not only having the animals but the care of them when they are sick, etc. I am not living the farm life on a large scale but we have animals. No more than we can reasonably take care of where we are in this season of our lives. Research is the best thing to do ahead of time.

hugs,
Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2014 :  6:39:04 PM  Show Profile
thanks girls for your input, if the "TRUTH helps even just a few people make the right choices, it is well worth it...

Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2014 :  2:32:06 PM  Show Profile
Tina you are right, it is hard everyday - and it is the hardest job I will ever love.

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Estle Schipp Farm: Celebrate the Hobby Farm Lifestyle

EstleSchippFarm.blogspot.com

https://youngliving.org/starschipp

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

chickpick
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Stephanie
Ashville Ohio
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  6:23:36 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the great insight. Many people think that it is so easy to farm. It is not, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Farming takes hard work, wisdom and guts. I wish many people that jump right into farming, homesteading etc.. would apprentice before going off and "starting" a farm. It may save people time, money and sometimes heartbreak.
Go to Top of Page

kathleen shoop
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pA
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  08:32:47 AM  Show Profile
I know that what you say is exactly right. I have trouble keeping simple houseplants alive. To me, all the things that people do whether on enormous farms or in backyard gardens are nothing short of miracles. I'm trying, but I can't imagine leaping into what you do!!!

quote:
Originally posted by oldbittyhen

what it takes to really become a farmer/rancher, the blood, sweat and lots of tears, the complete matter of fact of what your life will be/become...I've had so many over the years want me to help them put together their farm/ranch, and they've done no true nitty gritty research, they can't believe how hard the work is, how dirty and sweaty (Even in the dead of winter), don't understand crop failure, animal loss, broken equipment, no vacations, no sick days, etc, etc, etc...

writer, mother, educator--The Last Letter Spring 2011
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  1:40:20 PM  Show Profile
Denise would totally agree with your quote "farming is not a job but a way of life" - I am not a farmer (ok I do have chickens) but know (from being a small business owner) that it takes a lot of dedication, patience, and all that Tina mentioned!

Before I read Mary Jane's books, I had no clue of the difficulties she faced. I mean, people just see the "after the blood sweat and tears" of farming. It is easy to just look at the end result without seeing the sometimes harsh beginnings. It all looks so serene and beautiful but, It ain't easy! I do hope one day to have a small farm, but it's a full time commitment and at this point in my life, it is not something I can fully commit. Chickens are enough for me at the moment!

Thank you for posting on the subject! I so appreciate all those that choose the life of farming. Thank you!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com

Edited by - ceridwen on Apr 23 2015 1:43:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

KhadijahL
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Khadijah
Missouri
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  7:55:32 PM  Show Profile
It IS hard work, isn't it? But so full of joy and wonder at the same time. I think what makes it even more worthwhile and meaningful to me is that we are truly making something from pretty much nothing, and yet we see the blessings every day as we take each baby step forward to realizing our dream of sustainability.
It also takes a lot of thinking outside of the box to find solutions to things. That isn't always easy, but when the lightbulb turns on and you come up with a solution (which usually isn't perfect, but hey, there's always a chance to improve next week, or month, or year) it is such a great feeling!

Khadijah
Farmgirl #6334
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2015 :  05:44:52 AM  Show Profile
Tina - did you ever write THE TRUTH?

I think that part of what makes people yearn for having a farm is that there ISN'T enough info out there that is realistic about farm life. It's a happy, well edited blog post or a nice picture, etc. I wouldn't change anything about having moved to our farm in 2011 but man, and I think we did a TON of research before we moved here, but no one told me how much MONEY it was going to take to do the things we want to do. Having a barn full of animals is quite honestly like having a second house. Full of toddlers. ;)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2015 :  9:56:18 PM  Show Profile
I grew up on a farm in th fourties. You bet it is work. We didn't have electricity or running water or an indoor toilet, let alone air conditioning. But when you are young and strong and have big dreams somehow you make it work. I admire all the farmgirl's who are farmers. Good luck all.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2015 :  03:19:13 AM  Show Profile
It sounds like a great idea for a book.... I know I would want to read it! But unfortunately I think the exact people you are trying to reach, would be the ones not looking for a book, so they wouldn't read it... But it would help lots of others that are doing the research :)

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2015 :  12:53:44 PM  Show Profile
I think its a great book idea as well. I've never been a farmer but my dad and uncle grew up on a farm. My dad always told us how hard they worked. He didn't stay in farming but my uncle did so we saw the hard work and worry first hand. The thing that stuck with me was how mother nature could make you or break you anytime. I think people who've never had that experience should know. Maybe it would help people make informed decisions.

Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

ComeOnSammy
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Samantha
Shelton WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2016 :  12:35:49 AM  Show Profile
I think what happens, in some cases at least, is that people feel unsatisfied with modern, mainstream life. So they think "I'm going to get back to the land and my roots!" Not realizing what they are taking on, with zero experience. So they get overwhelmed and quit or neglect their responsibilities. Some learning you just have to do and make mistakes. Research gets you a long way though.

I would read about the blood sweat and tears as well! I've only had a taste of it myself with chickens and goats.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9204 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9204 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2016 :  05:42:01 AM  Show Profile
I have to say i believe apprenticing wold be the way to go. The hands on seeing the blood, sweat and tears of it would most likely keep those who want to make that leap on the level of real.
Samantha, I believe you hit most of it right on spot when you said people are unsatisfied with modern, mainstream life.

A book that describes real farm life and the early morning milking in freezing temps also the animal births are not always happening in a nice cozy barn stall. I think the ones who really want that would read it. Maybe "Real farm life" or "The Truth About Farm Life" would be a good title.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic The Truth... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page